Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 7 2012, 03:08 PM   #196
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Re: 50TH Anniversary rumor

to be honest, i'd be more excited about the return of some companions than previous Doctors... While i'd love to see 8 return for another jaunt, i know that 9 and 10 have had their time and are happy with it, and 7 and previous, are too physcially old now to do it effectively without finding good lookalikes...

Bringing back old companions would be amazing though... Ace, Leela, Romana... those are the 3 i'd absolutely love to see again...

M
Old September 7 2012, 03:52 PM   #197
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

I think Green Lantern is being a bit unreasonably shallow when it comes to the aged appearances of the surviving Doctors.

Of the surviving former Doctors, only Tom Baker is questionable in that his appearance has so drastically changed due to age since 1981. That said, I can only hope to be that sharp and animated at 78. I have no doubt he could still show us why he was The best Doctor for so many years. And in many people minds still is The Doctor.

Other than Colin Baker (who had not aged terribly well), I would have little trouble accepting any of them coming back for the 50th.

Last edited by Satyrquaze; September 7 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 04:45 PM   #198
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Is there anything wrong with using the technology used in "Tron Legacy" that made Jeff Bridges & Bruce Boxleitner look like their younger selves from 1982? I think as long as it looks good there is no reason you can't do that see Tom Baker or any of the other The Doctors the way we remember them.
Old September 7 2012, 04:52 PM   #199
davejames
Vice Admiral

Even if the CGI was good enough (which, judging by Tron Legacy, it isn't yet), I think it would be kind of missing the point.

The fun of the idea is getting to see the actual, original actors together in the same room.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 05:13 PM   #200
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
No doubt the tabloids will be camped outside for when they film the 50th Anniversary episode(s) ready to take pictures. Of who will likely be in it.

So no doubt who's in it will leak long before the episode airs.
It would be a nice mindf$%k if they made some people up to look like all the earlier Doctors and trotted them past those cameras.

The only question is, how many fans' heads would explode?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 07:09 PM   #201
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Even if the CGI was good enough (which, judging by Tron Legacy, it isn't yet), I think it would be kind of missing the point.

The fun of the idea is getting to see the actual, original actors together in the same room.
This.

It's science fiction... science fantasy... whatever label you want, there is a creative solution as to why the "Doctor" has aged even though he "regenerated." I thought it was brilliant hand waving in Time Crash.

It doesn't matter that they've aged--of COURSE they've aged, they are REAL people. I want to see them performing together.

I just don't get the overwhelming need for veracity in a show like this. It's about a guy who travels in a box through space and time. Some things you just accept.

And why not accept a slightly older 6th Doctor?

BUT--I do wonder if that's the direction they are going to go. Do you make a love letter to the fans of the series as a WHOLE, or make it more about the show as it is now?
Old September 7 2012, 07:16 PM   #202
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
BUT--I do wonder if that's the direction they are going to go. Do you make a love letter to the fans of the series as a WHOLE, or make it more about the show as it is now?
Considering the likelihood of Eccelston participating is about Zero, that means only Tennant for past Doctors of NuWho. If it's well written and balanced, there's certainly room for more than just Tennant and Smith, so, I don't really see any downside on the "Love Letter to the Current Series only Viewers". Matter of fact, if they were to add in Davison and/or McCoy or anyone else, the "NuWho Only" viewers may take a liking to them, and want to explore their classic era, which could mean more DVD or Audio sales

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 07:41 PM   #203
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I'm just gonna say this...of all of them, it's McGann I want to see again the most. He only had the one shot on screen, and, of them all, he should have the opportunity to be seen as the Doctor onscreen again on the BBC in the actual proper BBC Doctor Who, not just the collaborative TV movie. Let him get his proper chance to shine again. There's really not a Doctor I complete dislike. Some I like more than others, obviously - that's true of most if not all of us..but there is one actor for whom I feel kinda sorry, and it's him. I hope that gets remedied.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 07:52 PM   #204
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
I'm just gonna say this...of all of them, it's McGann I want to see again the most. He only had the one shot on screen, and, of them all, he should have the opportunity to be seen as the Doctor onscreen again on the BBC in the actual proper BBC Doctor Who, not just the collaborative TV movie. Let him get his proper chance to shine again. There's really not a Doctor I complete dislike. Some I like more than others, obviously - that's true of most if not all of us..but there is one actor for whom I feel kinda sorry, and it's him. I hope that gets remedied.
Yes, especially considering Sylvester McCoy's Torch Passing scenes ate up quite a bit of screen time (Not that I'm complaining at all, I like McCoy more than many do, especially after his first Series), plus Regeneration Stories don't really give you a feeling for a new Doctor, since they spend so much of the Story disoriented.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; September 7 2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: cleaned up the sentence about liking McCoy, so it says what I meant
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 08:47 PM   #205
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I think the magic of seeing all the surviving Doctors onscreen at once ought to allow most people to stop thinking about how old the 4 - 6 now look.

And I for one would be very anxious for McGann to be included. And even if they don't do a multi-Doctor story, I've long thought that having a flashback to his time in the TARDIS is the obvious way to do a 'Doctor-lite' episode in any given series.
Old September 7 2012, 08:50 PM   #206
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

This.

It's science fiction... science fantasy... whatever label you want, there is a creative solution as to why the "Doctor" has aged even though he "regenerated." I thought it was brilliant hand waving in Time Crash.

It doesn't matter that they've aged--of COURSE they've aged, they are REAL people. I want to see them performing together.

I just don't get the overwhelming need for veracity in a show like this. It's about a guy who travels in a box through space and time. Some things you just accept.

The Sixth Doctor thing was solely a personal preference of mine. But, you're absolutely correct. It really shouldn't matter in the slightest.

I'd be happy to see any of them on the screen again regardless of how old they are.
Old September 7 2012, 09:05 PM   #207
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
No doubt the tabloids will be camped outside for when they film the 50th Anniversary episode(s) ready to take pictures. Of who will likely be in it.

So no doubt who's in it will leak long before the episode airs.
It would be a nice mindf$%k if they made some people up to look like all the earlier Doctors and trotted them past those cameras.

The only question is, how many fans' heads would explode?
Seeing William Hartnell walking around today would definitely make my head explode.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 09:24 PM   #208
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post

This.

The Sixth Doctor thing was solely a personal preference of mine. But, you're absolutely correct. It really shouldn't matter in the slightest.

I'd be happy to see any of them on the screen again regardless of how old they are.
I hope you don't feel I was singling you out, that wasn't my intent. The Sixth Doctor is one of my favorites and also, sadly, one of the more disliked, and Colin has probably changed the most, so I just picked him.
Old September 7 2012, 09:33 PM   #209
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

I hope you don't feel I was singling you out, that wasn't my intent. The Sixth Doctor is one of my favorites and also, sadly, one of the more disliked, and Colin has probably changed the most, so I just picked him.
I didn't feel terribly singled out. In fairness, Six is not one of my personal favorites. I found his blatant egotism a bit off-putting. But I don't blame Colin Baker himself for for how his character was written. That fact that he has really changed the most is basically why I mentioned him by name.
Old September 7 2012, 09:37 PM   #210
davejames
Vice Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
I'd love to see McGann again too, but to be honest I think that would be more fitting for a regular season episode.

For the 50th Anniversary, I think I'd rather see them highlight Doctors who had a bigger and more longer-lasting impact on the series.

Plus, with only one story to his name (that most people have really heard of), there just isn't much to work with as far as the Eighth Doctor's character goes.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote