New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 7 2012, 04:19 PM   #46
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Mars wrote: View Post
wouldn't it make sense just to use Supergirl
Too similar to, and too soon after, Smallville. (And that would've been true even if there hadn't been a Supergirl on that show.) Not gonna happen.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Having Smallville didn't keep them from doing Superman Returns. Maybe they're hoping that building up the character on TV will help sell her to movie audiences, even if the continuities are different.
But the fact that Smallville started before Returns was actively planned is a key difference. Also, neither really trod on each other, as the general Superman origin is both well-known and stable. A new, live action budget-friendly WW, on the other hand, could very easily muck things up for her depiction in a JL movie.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 04:30 PM   #47
Mars
Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
wouldn't it make sense just to use Supergirl
Too similar to, and too soon after, Smallville. (And that would've been true even if there hadn't been a Supergirl on that show.) Not gonna happen.
How do you figure that, since they are doing a spinoff series about the Green Arrow called "Arrow" and another spinoff series called "Aquaman" with the same actors reprising the roles that started out in the Smallville series.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Having Smallville didn't keep them from doing Superman Returns. Maybe they're hoping that building up the character on TV will help sell her to movie audiences, even if the continuities are different.
But the fact that Smallville started before Returns was actively planned is a key difference. Also, neither really trod on each other, as the general Superman origin is both well-known and stable. A new, live action budget-friendly WW, on the other hand, could very easily muck things up for her depiction in a JL movie.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 04:43 PM   #48
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Methos wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Didn't NBC think about doing a WW show last year too?
Yup... wonder woman does fetish lol

the costume was hideous... the writing was atrocious, and the pilot was one of the worst i've ever had the misfortune of seeing...

i'm quite happy it never got off the ground

M
I saw the Wonder Woman pilot, and the character of Wonder Woman was mischaracterized. With a few tweeks, it would have been a much better vehicle for Power Girl. The attitudes of the character better matched Power Girl, along with the corporate story.

I know they were trying to create a Wonder Woman series, but I think what they created was better suited to Power Girl. They should dust it off and try again with the right heroine.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 04:53 PM   #49
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

How do you figure that, since they are doing a spinoff series about the Green Arrow called "Arrow" and another spinoff series called "Aquaman" with the same actors reprising the roles that started out in the Smallville series.
An "Aquaman" series? Is this something new, or are you talking about that failed pilot a few years back?
Old September 7 2012, 05:14 PM   #50
Christopher
Writer

Maybe the last point is valid. But I'm wary of any Smallville comparisons. Like I said, it originated in a different era, and its longevity was rather an anomalous thing. It changed a lot over its run as the climate around it changed. So it would be unwise to assume that the circumstances surrounding it would necessarily apply today or to a different series.

You're completely incorrect. Arrow has no connection to the Smallville cast or continuity. Justin Hartley played Green Arrow on Smallville; Steven Amell is playing the character in Arrow.

Also, the failed Aquaman pilot Mercy Reef from years ago did not star the same actor who played Aquaman on Smallville; in fact, it starred Hartley as Aquaman, before he then started playing Green Arrow on Smallville.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 05:22 PM   #51
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

On a related front, apparently a new version of the Huntress will be featured in Arrow. (They're going with the mafia princess scenario, btw, as opposed to the daughter of Batman origin . . . .)

And, no, it's not the same actress from Birds of Prey!
Old September 7 2012, 05:44 PM   #52
Gaith
Rear Admiral

People who come to watch Wonder Woman want to see the Wonder Woman they are familiar with.
If she does appear in the JL movie, it'll be her first major public exposure in nearly forty years, and whatever origins/everday SOP the Carter TV series gave her are so obscure and forgotten even I haven't really gleaned them via cultural osmosis. WW is a nearly blank slate. Unless super-careful and thorough movie coordination is in place, I think it'd make very little sense for a mere CW series to interfere with perhaps the WB's most significant in-development project.
Old September 7 2012, 05:47 PM   #53
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

People who come to watch Wonder Woman want to see the Wonder Woman they are familiar with.
If she does appear in the JL movie, it'll be her first major public exposure in nearly forty years, and whatever origins/everday SOP the Carter TV series gave her are so obscure and forgotten even I haven't really gleaned them via cultural osmosis..
I mostly agree regarding live-action, but I figure that generations of SUPER FRIENDS and JUSTICE LEAGUE cartoons have probably helped keep her in the public consciousness to some degree, especially since a lot of the people who watched those shows as kids are old enough to buy tickets (or choose the TV channel) now.
Old September 7 2012, 07:34 PM   #54
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

I mostly agree regarding live-action, but I figure that generations of SUPER FRIENDS and JUSTICE LEAGUE cartoons have probably helped keep her in the public consciousness to some degree, especially since a lot of the people who watched those shows as kids are old enough to buy tickets (or choose the TV channel) now.
Not to mention her own animated film that came out few years ago( that was actually a good movie).
I actually like the Lynda Carter WW series
Its true that the plots are campy and even silly, but I think Carter did very good job in the role.
Plus she looked great doing it, too

I am all for Wonder Woman series and this "young WW" concept sounds interesting( though there is also Wonder Girl they could have used). I just hope they not make the same dreadful mistakes that were made in the recent TV-pilot, that never aired.
This needs to be a well written and cast show, otherwise it will be shot down before it even starts.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 07:38 PM   #55
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Maybe, but let's be honest: how many people will decide to attend a JL movie based on whether or not WW appears? That movie's main purpose, apart from setting up a sequel, will be to launch a new Batman, and maybe set a larger context for post-MOS Supermans. If people love its WW, she might get a stand-alone movie, but I'd think a bigger role in a JL2 would be a likelier outcome.

Anyhow, given the massive paucity of actual info we're working with, this seems as good a time as any to revive an old pic:

Old September 7 2012, 08:03 PM   #56
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

^ Have you read What They Did to Princess Paragon by Richard Rodi? It's a humorous novel about just that!

A fun book, as I recall.
Old September 7 2012, 08:31 PM   #57
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Hadn't heard of it, no, but it does indeed sound alright. I'd definitely consider watching a film adaptation of the same...
Old September 8 2012, 01:13 AM   #58
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

^ Maybe, but let's be honest: how many people will decide to attend a JL movie based on whether or not WW appears? That movie's main purpose, apart from setting up a sequel, will be to launch a new Batman, and maybe set a larger context for post-MOS Supermans. If people love its WW, she might get a stand-alone movie, but I'd think a bigger role in a JL2 would be a likelier outcome.

Anyhow, given the massive paucity of actual info we're working with, this seems as good a time as any to revive an old pic:

I gotta start billing you.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 01:18 AM   #59
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I saw the Wonder Woman pilot, and the character of Wonder Woman was mischaracterized. With a few tweeks, it would have been a much better vehicle for Power Girl. The attitudes of the character better matched Power Girl, along with the corporate story.
*opens and closes mouth silently a few times*

I... i'm actually horrified that I hadn't come to that conclusion before...

You're right... perfectly... with an actress / costume change, that pilot would have been pretty damn perfect for a PowerGirl intro... wow...

Have to rewatch it now, see if i can edit 'power girl' in instead of Wonder Woman using my mind... might actually make it watchable lol

M
Old September 8 2012, 04:23 AM   #60
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

12 wrestlers show up for no reason and she breaks legs and kicked the rest of them into walls half a footballfield away.

It was just ridiculous.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote