IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 7 2012, 02:40 AM   #76
sojourner
Admiral

Re: The Revolution pilot is online now...

Any sufficiently explained magic is indistinguishable from science.
Old September 7 2012, 02:41 AM   #77
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Next series developed are about:

what if gravity fails?

what if the sun goes dark?

what if there's no sound anymore?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 02:59 AM   #78
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Next series developed are about:

what if gravity fails?

what if the sun goes dark?

what if there's no sound anymore?
What if there's no TrekBBS?
Old September 7 2012, 03:01 AM   #79
JD
Admiral

Honestly, I could care less about the science, or how "realistic" the effects of the blackout are as long as I enjoy the story, and so far I have. I don't watch these kind of shows for scientific plausibility, I watch them for the story, characters, and the world the series has created, and I liked those aspects of the pilot.
Old September 7 2012, 03:55 AM   #80
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Crashed Rosewellian starship, after Area 51 squints finally found the choke and kicked over it's engine, this is what happens, to make up for the power requirement deficit, the ship begins to leech from all the local (planetary) energy sources... And fifteen years later, it's still trying to splutter to life...

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 04:09 AM   #81
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

hyzmarca wrote: View Post

They a Revolutionary War aestetic, so the blackout must intelligently and selectively shut down any tech that interferes with that.
I haven't seen the show (don't have cable), but I have to ask:

So what is the "revolution" here, supposed to be revolting against?

If it's another "technology sucks" diatribe, like the Emberverse and nuDayEarthStoodStill, I'm afraid they're not gonna have many takers...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 05:02 AM   #82
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

They're trying to be clever somehow. They keep having the R flicker on and off rapidly. Not sure what either word is supposed to imply, though, since the whole bloody show is nonsensical to begin with.

Which boggles me because I really love what Kripke did with Supernatural, and Favreau tries to imbue that common sense vibe into what he does.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 05:05 AM   #83
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

So it's "revolution" against modern society, and "evolution" through the loss of technology, which in itself would kill off close to 90% of humanity?

I think I'll pass.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 05:30 AM   #84
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

revolution doesn't just mean fighting.

"industrial revolution"

It just describes a changing phase in development.

The "O" in revolution is stylized to look like the off button (or maybe a sleep button, they're very similar.) on a computer.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 05:36 AM   #85
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

The series hasn't aired yet, the pilot is legally available online and commercial free, and the show is on NBC, so you don't need cable.

The "Revolution" is either metaphorical (as in returning to our pre-electrical roots) and/or it's literal and will probably be either against whomever caused the blackout in the first place, or more likely against the local militia government which calls itself the Munroe Republic (one of many such competing governments in the former United States according to dialogue in the show).
Old September 7 2012, 09:37 AM   #86
FreezeC77
Commodore

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Nope.

Clearly a physicist said it was possible, so it's real Science!. No magic at all. We've been reassured.
Depends on who the physicist is. We see both political parties trot out scientists agreeing with 'their' premise. Scientists saying Global Warming is a myth, scientists saying evolution is false, etc...

I don't really care as much if the premise is flawed, if the execution of the ideal is good. So far it's a mixed bag.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 09:54 AM   #87
The Green Mushroom
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
...what if the sun goes dark?
One of the Twilight-y Zone shows made during the 90s did that. It was actually fairly interesting and seemed at least plausible to me. Fortunately for the characters, the sun came back on after a couple of days before the oxygen started to rain.

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Nope.

Clearly a physicist said it was possible, so it's real Science!. No magic at all. We've been reassured.
Once a student asked me why the peasants never revolted and killed all of their feudal lords. I told him they did that fairly regularly, they just usually died quite painfully shortly after.

He then asked what would have happened if they used flamethrowers. I asked him where did he think they would get flamethrowers in the Middle Ages.

I hope five years from now he doesn't make a show about Medieval Communists conquering the world with flamethrowers because his history teacher said it was possible.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 08:15 PM   #88
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Just saw it and it was not bad. However, the characters came across as pretty flat and it didn't hold my interest that much. I a story of life right after the blackout would have been much better, like how society would have adapted instead of jumping ahead 15 years. There were some scenes where I forgot it was 15 years into the future, and I kept asking, what took everyone so long? What where they doing between when the blackouts happened and when they start this little revolution? Building Camp?

Not sure if I'll be back for the second episode. I could just see this series being like a lot of other arc shows. They keep dragging and dragging and the answers end up not being worth the payer they are written on.
Old September 8 2012, 08:49 PM   #89
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
1. I have no problem with looney tunes militias taking over after a societal collapse. But if Doomsday Preppers has taught me anything...why would any of the militia types accept a black dude in their ranks?
It's probably as simple as "militia" being a catch-all term for armed, organized groups attempting to establish their own control over as much territory as possible. Some of those militias may be the whackjob white supremacist-type militias that exist now, but many others - like Munroe's? - could just as easily be modeled after militias from the timeframe of the American Revolution.

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Did anyone else get a Jericho feeling from watching this? The overought family drama was clearly there....
Here's hoping Eric Kripke decides to nip that down to manageable levels as quickly as possible, rather than emulate Jericho in letting it overshadow any good stuff in the first season.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 06:05 AM   #90
JD
Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
1. I have no problem with looney tunes militias taking over after a societal collapse. But if Doomsday Preppers has taught me anything...why would any of the militia types accept a black dude in their ranks?
It's probably as simple as "militia" being a catch-all term for armed, organized groups attempting to establish their own control over as much territory as possible. Some of those militias may be the whackjob white supremacist-type militias that exist now, but many others - like Munroe's? - could just as easily be modeled after militias from the timeframe of the American Revolution.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case. It's a militia in the traditional sense, not the modern anti-government/white supremacist types.