Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 6 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
JD
Admiral

SF/F Characters with Disabilities

I've been watching the Paralympics a lot over the past couple weeks, and I've really enjoyed them. They also got me thinking about the different characters with disabilities we've seen in Sci-Fi and Fantasy over the years. So who are you favorite disabled characters in SF/F?
Mine:
Geordi La Forge (blind)
Barbara Gordon/Oracle (paraplegic)
Charles Xavier/Professor X (paraplegic)
Luke Skywalker (arm amputee)
I know there have been others over the years, but those are the ones that first come to mind for me. There was one other I thought of, but I'm not sure if you would count her as disabled. Ana Marie/Rogue from the X-Men seems to me like she could be disabled since her mutation prevents her from being able to touch other people (or at least did, I think I remember someone saying she had her powers under control now).
Old September 6 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Re: SF/F Characters with Disabilities

My namesake from Doctor Who surely counts as would Captain Pike, Professor X, and Doctor Scott.
Old September 6 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

pretty sure there was an episode of DS9 that delt with a paraplegic woman who Julian was trying to cure...

I don't remember the specifics, only that she had to have a pretty much 'zero gravity' room for quarters, and a wheelchair to get around the station... been a long time since i've watched early DS9 though, so i could be mistaken

M
Old September 6 2012, 11:41 PM   #4
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Methos wrote: View Post
pretty sure there was an episode of DS9 that delt with a paraplegic woman who Julian was trying to cure...

I don't remember the specifics, only that she had to have a pretty much 'zero gravity' room for quarters, and a wheelchair to get around the station... been a long time since i've watched early DS9 though, so i could be mistaken

M
She wasn't disabled, she was perfectly normal for her species. She struggled in a different environment but that is a question of fitness for purpose not disability.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Daredevil, of course.

And the X-Men's Cyclops is unable to turn his power off and is pretty much dependent on the ruby quartz visor to be able to function. I'd say that counts.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:42 PM   #6
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Let's see

Daredevil - Blindness
Hawkeye - Deafness (for a while at least)
Echo - Deafness
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:43 PM   #7
Methos

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

ahh sorry, just been a while since i've seen that episode, i only remembered bits of it

M
Old September 6 2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Davros
Fleet Admiral

If being stupid counts as a disability then I would have to mention Philip J Fry
Old September 6 2012, 11:55 PM   #9
JD
Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
My namesake from Doctor Who surely counts as would Captain Pike, Professor X, and Doctor Scott.
Gah, I can't believe I forgot about Pike and Davros. Who's Doctor Scott?
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Daredevil, of course.

And the X-Men's Cyclops is unable to turn his power off and is pretty much dependent on the ruby quartz visor to be able to function. I'd say that counts.
I forgot DD too. I never really thought about Cyclops, but yeah if we count Rogue, then he would count too.
Old September 7 2012, 12:03 AM   #10
Methos

Doctor Mid-Nite... blind, introduced way before DareDevil...

Cyborg... Victor Stone from DC... Not sure how much of his body is missing in current continuity, but in 90's version he was missing at least 60% of his body...

Not sure if Aquaman still has a hook or 'magic hand' nowdays... but he had it cut off in the 90's.

Pretty sure Jericho (Teen Titans) was mute... or was at some point anyway

Could always consider Batman as well... from the Knightfall arc... where he was a paraplegic for about a year...

M
Old September 7 2012, 12:36 AM   #11
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Dr. Miles Hawkins from M.A.N.T.I.S. (paraplegic).

John Locke from Lost (paraplegic before the Island heals him).

Gary Bell (autism), Erin Way (can't retain long term memories) and Anna Levy (severe apraxia of speech and body movement) from Alphas. Initially, all the characters had frequently severe negative side effects to their enhanced abilities, but that's been less of a problem for some as the show has gone on and their skills have advanced.

Jason Stryker/Mastermind(sort of) in X2 who is confined to a wheelchair and mute after a lobotomy.

A bunch of veterans in Starship Troopers who were missing limbs (that were replaced by cybernetic ones) or had other combat-related ailments, including Lt. Rasczak, the recruiter, and the blind teacher played by Rue McLanahan.

Elijah Price (Mr. Glass) from Unbreakable (Osteogenesis imperfecta or Brittle Bone Disease).

Steve Austin and Jamie Summers --The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman respectively-- both lost limbs and an eye and ear respectively in accidents before having them replaced by cybernetic implants.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 12:45 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

If superhero secret ids count, Don Blake and Freddy Freeman were disabled (leg injuries).
Nick Fury is blind in one eye
The Doom Patrol's Chief is in a wheelchair. Not sure of the nature of his injuries.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 12:51 AM   #13
NrobbieC
Commander

In Heroes, Emma was deaf and Daphne had cerebral palsy so couldn't walk without her power.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 12:56 AM   #14
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

• Darth Vader is a favorite I love to hate. (iron lung)
  • Back in the day, I was a Professor Bergman fan. (artificial heart)
  • Paul Atreides (blind from Dune Messiah on)
Others already mentioned:
  • Christopher Pike (beep beep)
  • Professor X
  • Geordi
Honorable mention to:
  • Dr. Miranda Jones (blind)
  • Riva (deaf)
Old September 7 2012, 01:32 AM   #15
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Miles Vorkosigan from the Vorkosigan novels has a host of medical difficulties, including extremely brittle bones (requiring surgery for replacements to be able to walk) and in later life suffered from quasi-epileptic shock. It'd be fair to say that medical themes in particular are a recurring idea in those books, and his physical issues are a constant.

Joker in the Mass Effect series of games also had brittle bones.

Davros wrote: View Post
If being stupid counts as a disability then I would have to mention Philip J Fry
Since he's so abnormally stupid he doesn't have brainwaves that most all human and animal life and some plants possess... yeah, he may arguably count.