RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,653
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 586
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 6 2012, 01:41 PM   #76
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

^ Thanks for the clarification. I'll go check your thread.

-----

Acquisition

The Ferengi arrive. Aaand, that’s about all I have to say.

Grade: D
--------------

Oasis

This was okay. I liked some of the concepts introduced, and it was nice to see Rene Auberjonois.

Grade: C plus

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 02:19 PM   #77
R. Star
Rear Admiral

You're kinder than me about Aquisition... "Hey let's do a Ferengi episode." "But they weren't introduced to the Federation until TNG time." "Who cares about details, it'll be cool!"

And that sums up a lot of Enterprise at times. Of course it is perfectly concievable Archer just didn't keep records of random aliens who attacked his ship that Data couldn't have looked up a 100 years later. But then people get mad at me for saying he would be that incompitent.

Oasis... wasn't terribly inspiring, but nothing too bad about it either. I could poke fun at how ineffective future weapons are. Reed gets shot in this episode with no ill effect. This happens quite often in Trek, but this is countered by seeing Rene Auberjonois on screen again, which is always good.
Old September 6 2012, 02:34 PM   #78
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
You're kinder than me about Aquisition... "Hey let's do a Ferengi episode." "But they weren't introduced to the Federation until TNG time." "Who cares about details, it'll be cool!"

And that sums up a lot of Enterprise at times. Of course it is perfectly concievable Archer just didn't keep records of random aliens who attacked his ship that Data couldn't have looked up a 100 years later. But then people get mad at me for saying he would be that incompitent.
Well, to be fair, I knew there were going to be issues on this front when I saw the TNG-era Klingons in the first episode, so...

Oasis... wasn't terribly inspiring, but nothing too bad about it either. I could poke fun at how ineffective future weapons are. Reed gets shot in this episode with no ill effect. This happens quite often in Trek, but this is countered by seeing Rene Auberjonois on screen again, which is always good.
I agree, sir.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 04:20 PM   #79
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

People keep making this complaint, but, it's not legitimate IMHO. They never found out this race who pirated the ship were called The Ferengi, and when T'Pol (Or whichever Vulcan it was) mentioned a race called The Ferengi earlier in the Series, they never saw what one looked like.

So, the record of the event would only describe the race that took over the ship, it wouldn't name them, so, using a search term "Earliest Ferengi encounter" wouldn't turn up this event, until 100+ years later when the Federation met the Ferengi, and then it would only do so, if somebody made a connection and went back and edited the record to mention they found out this race was called The Ferengi.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 04:43 PM   #80
R. Star
Rear Admiral

No but Archer could have drawn up a profile of this race, complete with visual records for future captains to have at hand. It seems relevant information to give to other Starfleet vessels that hey "the short guys with buttshaped foreheads and big ears" are potentially hostile and draw up their profit motive driven behavior and the such.

So either the writers/producers just didn't care(I lean this way myself, Braga is stated not to care about continuity) or Archer and/or Starfleet just screwed up by not keeping something so basic as records of hostile species up to date and avialable... it would seem pertinent information for deep space explorers.
Old September 6 2012, 05:20 PM   #81
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

No but Archer could have drawn up a profile of this race, complete with visual records for future captains to have at hand. It seems relevant information to give to other Starfleet vessels that hey "the short guys with buttshaped foreheads and big ears" are potentially hostile and draw up their profit motive driven behavior and the such.

So either the writers/producers just didn't care(I lean this way myself, Braga is stated not to care about continuity) or Archer and/or Starfleet just screwed up by not keeping something so basic as records of hostile species up to date and avialable... it would seem pertinent information for deep space explorers.
Sure, they would do that, but, if The Ferengi learned their lesson, and stayed outta the Federation's line of sight for a few years, decades, whatever, they wouldn't be on the "Top 10 Threats of The Galaxy" daily briefing, and the record would get buried amongst all the other "White Noise" of single encounters that never came up again. That's the way mountains of Data work, if a record/file doesn't have the proper search term information, it fades into a mountain of irrelevant data once it's not on the top of the hit parade.

I'll bet they could find it with a search term of "Big eared, snaggly teeth pirates", but, 100 years plus later when you know they're the Ferengi, and have enough encounters with them, you'll get plenty by searching for Ferengi, so why would you expand your search further?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:30 PM   #82
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Why would knowing about them pirating Archer's ship even be useful?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 02:24 AM   #83
BruntFCA
Commander

Acquisition-Despite being a big Ferengi fan even I didn't like this episode. Its also the only trek episode to violate the LOC*.

Oasis-I was never really sure if this was a ripoff of Shadowplay or an homage. If its an homage then its a weird choice because while I liked Shadowplay it certainly wasn't a classic. And if it was a ripoff its a weird choice to do with Rene Auberjonois as a guest star.

* The Law of Combs states that the appearance of Jeffrey Combs makes any episode at least good. (See DS9-Meridian or VOY-Tsunkatse)
Old September 7 2012, 04:37 AM   #84
teacake
Admiral

They are both pretty meh but I found the Ferengi ep amusing. The only time I did not enjoy Ferengi was Profit and Lace.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 7 2012, 04:41 AM   #85
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Why would knowing about them pirating Archer's ship even be useful?
In season 1 TNG when they were "the bad guys." Sure it would be obscure tidbit, but once they had a visual record to the name, someone like Data who memorizes things like that as part of his programming should've drawn the connection and corrected Picard when he called his encounter Starfleet's first contact with the Ferengi.

Which brings me back to either bad writing from Enterprise or incomptence from Archer. Take your pick. :P
Old September 7 2012, 04:50 AM   #86
teacake
Admiral

I'll take incompetence thanks!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 7 2012, 04:53 AM   #87
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'll take incompetence thanks!
It was the Vulcans! The Vulcans sabotaged his report!
Old September 7 2012, 04:59 AM   #88
teacake
Admiral

They had probably paid the Ferengi to make some trouble for the NX-01 in order to further discredit the mission.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 7 2012, 05:00 AM   #89
R. Star
Rear Admiral

They had probably paid the Ferengi to make some trouble for the NX-01 in order to further discredit the mission.
It was still early... T'Pol hadn't gotten over that "restraining myself from knocking you on your ass" comment. You and me both Jonathan... you and me both.
Old September 7 2012, 05:02 AM   #90
teacake
Admiral

That sounds a little different when you say it..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne