Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"
Geronimo! 96 55.17%
Good 57 32.76%
Average 15 8.62%
Save us! 4 2.30%
Exterminate!! 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 6 2012, 01:04 AM   #391
Ghost Bones
Captain

Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Well it's plenty of people dying, isn't that good enough? If you has one with a limited cast and everyone dies, people would be going "It's fucking Fang Rock again".
Old September 6 2012, 04:28 AM   #392
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Well it's plenty of people dying, isn't that good enough? If you has one with a limited cast and everyone dies, people would be going "It's fucking Fang Rock again".
People like...say...The Honorable Ghostly Bones? Thought we'd already established that, sorry, I'll try to keep up next time

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 05:13 AM   #393
Ghost Bones
Captain

eh?
Old September 6 2012, 08:45 AM   #394
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Don't forget Curse of Fenric. I hate to think how many people died in that thing.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 08:55 AM   #395
Starkers
Admiral

Crikey yes a lot of people died in that, not quite everyone (because in one case that would've seriously screwed the space time continum) but an awful lot of people.

Then again it was wartime

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 10:33 AM   #396
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I think a lot of you missed what this episode revealed. Especially considering how Moffat likes to put the brunt of the series finale into the first episode.

The key was the revelation that the Daleks are only really super EVIL! (complete with italics and exclamation point) because of their paranoia and fear of the Doctor. So what happens when they oh-so-conveniently forget about the Doctor, especially when they've already begun to evolve into what is clearly implied to be some sort of democratic society before this memory erasure occurs?

Last series we learned that "Doctor who?" is the question that must never be answered. And this episode we learned at least one race that's asking the question.

So, since the Daleks [strike]are[/strike]were only EVIL! because of the Doctor, but now have no memory thereof, perhaps they no longer have a reason to be EVIL!, and the threat that exists by their renewed size and strength pales compared to what it would be if they continued to be EVIL! rather than just evil.

Thus the reason that "Doctor who?" must never be answered is because it would threaten the entire universe due to the new and improved Dalek Empire.

At least that's what I gathered. But like I said in the beginning of the post, most of you seem to have missed the key point of the episode.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 10:41 AM   #397
Starkers
Admiral

The Daleks are not Evil because of the Doctor. They were bred as a race with one goal, to eliminate all other inferior lifeforms, they're inherrently evil. The Doctor battling them probably caused them to become more powerful, to up their game somewhat, which is what the episode was implying,but if he hadn't the Daleks would have rolled quite easily over dozens of planets, killing millions.

Old September 6 2012, 11:02 AM   #398
Ghost Bones
Captain

Well if it's in terms of number of people killed rather than percentage of the characters, then I think Resurrection of the Daleks has the record. I recall hearing. Though that could just be on-screen death, if that makes a difference.
Old September 6 2012, 12:06 PM   #399
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Starkers wrote: View Post
The Daleks are not Evil because of the Doctor. They were bred as a race with one goal, to eliminate all other inferior lifeforms, they're inherrently evil. The Doctor battling them probably caused them to become more powerful, to up their game somewhat, which is what the episode was implying,but if he hadn't the Daleks would have rolled quite easily over dozens of planets, killing millions.
That's how I read "Asylum" in the context of Dalek history. The Daleks have always been an evil, destructive force, and the Doctor's many battles against them helped hone their evilosity by eliminating the less-capable, less-evil Daleks. The Doctor helped them to evolve into pure, irredeemable evil.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 02:10 PM   #400
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Sorry, 27 pages is alot to trawl through, forgive me if this has been asked/answered before...

So the Daleks now Assimilate rather than Exterminate? They've ripped off the Borg?
Old September 6 2012, 02:46 PM   #401
MacLeod
Admiral

Some might argue, that the Borg themselves (in part) are a rip-off of the Cybermen.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 03:02 PM   #402
Starkers
Admiral

Well the Daleks have been converting people into Daleks for years, see Bad Wolf and Revelation of the Daleks, and in terms of mind controlled humans as puppets they were using robomen as far back as their second story, and the nanogene'd humans here are just an extension of that. As for actually assimilating someone into an actual Dalek, this has usually only happend in extreme circumstances, and it must be noted as well that the Daleks who assimilated Oswin were, most likely, loony tunes!

Old September 6 2012, 03:03 PM   #403
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

The Daleks have been shown before to lobotomize humans to turn them into half robot slaves, just the method is different.
And them using humand gentic material to make new Daleks isn't new either, except here they apparently lobotomized (or so they thought), a human and stuck at least her brain into a Dalek shell.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 05:46 PM   #404
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Starkers wrote: View Post
The Daleks are not Evil because of the Doctor.
Not according to this episode. They said it quite clearly and plainly. Again, EVIL! vs. evil.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 06:06 PM   #405
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

As many times as the Doctor went back into the Dalek's past to try & stop/prevent them, it's possible he pushed them to be more evil than dangerous.

Sure, they were created to be a master race of sorts, but the Doctor's interventions may have made a bad situation worse.

The Borg weren't evil, just single minded in their need to assimilate others.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote