Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 6 2012, 12:06 AM   #46
Mr_Homn
Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

Falcor5 wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Report on upcoming Season 2 at TrekCore: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/09052012_s2initial.html

I cannot emphasize enough how AMAZING this release is going to be!
AAaah now I am getting really excited to hear what all the surprises will be!!!
Haha nah. As cheesey as the episode is I still think it has some great parts. Worf fighting with the old lady was hilarious.

and this scene should look pretty awesome in remastered HD:

Old September 6 2012, 12:09 AM   #47
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

GR took his "vision" from all the stuff fans had projected onto Trek over the years. In time GR adopted it as his own as if he'd intended that all the way back to the beginning.

As much as I love Star Trek I do think GR's "vision" was more a fan invention he took credit for.
Old September 6 2012, 12:12 AM   #48
Sho
Fleet Captain

Regarding the two versions of Measure of a Man, here's how I understand those: The version that Melissa Snodgrass has on VHS tape is not a strict superset of the broadcast version, i.e. it doesn't just have additional shots but either also alternative shots or lacks some shots used in the broadcast edit. The second version would then be a new edit that combines all of the available footage, i.e. a hybrid of the broadcast edit and the Snodgrass tape.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 01:07 AM   #49
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Sho wrote: View Post
Regarding the two versions of Measure of a Man, here's how I understand those: The version that Melissa Snodgrass has on VHS tape is not a strict superset of the broadcast version, i.e. it doesn't just have additional shots but either also alternative shots or lacks some shots used in the broadcast edit. The second version would then be a new edit that combines all of the available footage, i.e. a hybrid of the broadcast edit and the Snodgrass tape.
That could very well be, though it's odd they labeled the extended cut "HD" but not the hybrid cut. Then again, it's odd they listed Rob Bowman as "Don Berman!"
Old September 6 2012, 01:18 AM   #50
Dream
Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
I'm a wee bit disappointed in the quality of the cover. The Enterprise looks way out of place.
Next you'll tell us Dr Crusher and Troi had nothing to do and they were only there to look pretty.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 01:56 AM   #51
Warped9
Admiral

The cover is understated. I really don't see anything wrong with it.
Old September 6 2012, 02:09 AM   #52
dg1379
Commander

Anyone else notice Picard wearing a gold uniform on the cover?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...-Blu-ray/17450
this site has larger image
dg1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 02:13 AM   #53
Warped9
Admiral

We're getting to see these episodes unlike we've ever seen them before. A less than perfect cover to the set isn't going to faze me.
Old September 6 2012, 02:15 AM   #54
Sho
Fleet Captain

If I could legally purchase for download the eps anywhere with Blu-ray equivalent bitrates I wouldn't even bother with something quaint like discs, so I can't say I care about the cover either.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 02:46 AM   #55
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

dg1379 wrote: View Post
Anyone else notice Picard wearing a gold uniform on the cover?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...-Blu-ray/17450
this site has larger image
I don't think he's wearing a gold uniform; as he never wore one in the series and making him look to be in one would require someone to actually manipulate the image which would be an odd thing to do. It just looks like he's wearing a gold uniform due to the gold tint of the cover.
Old September 6 2012, 02:50 AM   #56
Warped9
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I don't think he's wearing a gold uniform; as he never wore one in the series and making him look to be in one would require someone to actually manipulate the image which would be an odd thing to do. It just looks like he's wearing a gold uniform due to the gold tint of the cover.
I think that's exactly what is.
Old September 6 2012, 05:04 AM   #57
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

Jeyl wrote: View Post
During the course of seven years on Voyager, Harry Kim went from ensign to..... ensign. This is a character who has died several times in the line of duty, and Janeway never considers his acts worthy of an additional pin.
Weeeeelll, there is some precedent for this, although it's flimsy, I'll admit. I don't think it would have been a good idea for a starship that was trapped several thousand lightyears from home to start messing with the chain of command. After all, in regular Starfleet, a promotion opens your career up to new opportunities outside your existing post. On Voyager, it only determines how high you are on the local totem pole, because there is no grand scale. It would have created unneeded tension between the crew for Harry to be given authority over crew mates with whom he was previously on an equal footing with (as well as crew mates under whom he was previously subordinate but would have now been equal in rank to), crew mates who would have had exactly the same opportunities for promotion back in Federation space. How do you promote Harry while simultaneously denying every other members of the crew their due?

I think the point was basically that pretty much everyone on that ship deserved equal opportunity for advancement, but because of their extenuating circumstances, they just weren't gonna get it. Apocryphally, he was promoted to a full Lieutenant, skipping Junior Lieutenant entirely.

If I recall, the only promotions ever given out on the show (aside from B'Elanna becoming chief engineer in the infancy of the show) were given to Tuvok and Paris. Tuvok's promotion didn't affect his position in the chain of command, and Paris' promotion only came after getting demoted once.

Anyways, enough about Voyager.

I'm certainly looking forward to S2 more than S1. I'm especially interested in Where Silence Has Lease. While not a perfect episode, Nagilum was an awesome villain. I wish we could have seen more of him in any form of Trek.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 05:10 AM   #58
Warped9
Admiral

One of the things I like about Season 2 is that it's a nice mixture: we were getting new ideas and new Trek adventures yet it still had something of a TOS resonance to it. Plus it was generally a lot more polished than S1.
Old September 6 2012, 08:37 AM   #59
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Can't wait for this. I will be at a theater screening if they really are having one because I was on the fence about buying season 1, decided to buy it, and regretting not doing the theater screening the night before. Also, I think having just gone and seen Dark Knight Rises had something to do with it too.

The only hard thing will be waiting like 21 days while the excitement on here is going strong because I plan on asking for this set for Christmas. Still, I can't wait and I'm glad we finally have a release date.

I really hope Stardate Revisited Season 2 has an exclusive interview with Diana Muldaur. I would love to see what she's been up to since TNG, what she looks like now, and her time on the show. One thing that I found unfortunate is that the writers never brought Pulaski back and even her name was only mentioned once. It was like one and done and she was forgotten. Yeah I get the McCoy criticisms, but to shove a character to the side like that is just something I found as a missed opportunity.

Speaking of Diana Muldaur, I was searching through Youtube and actually found a video from January 2012 where she does talk about her time on TNG. It's this kind of thing I hope is on the set.

Her TNG talk starts at the 15 minute mark and she does get a bit of info wrong regarding Gene Roddenberry's death. Also, I think the end of this segment about why she left is revealing and might be why she never came back.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; September 6 2012 at 09:00 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 09:44 AM   #60
Dream
Admiral

Still very early, but Season Two is already ranked #96 on Amazon's Movies & TV Best Sellers List and #19 in Blu-ray Movies & TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Gene...dp/B0095XPZBC/
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote