Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 6 2012, 07:40 AM   #16
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Re: I thought Valiant was a very good episode

I first saw this one after hearing on the tubes about how bad it was. I have to say, except for the conceit of not one of the cadets thinking "shit, this is retarded, we need to head back to Earth/Vulcan/Andor/any goddamn starbase and tell Starfleet what happened", I like the episode. A good character piece for both Nog and Jake, had the very Trek message about the dangers of arroganace, and it was cool to see the Dominion War from a non-Sisko/Defiant/DS9 perspective.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend, who mercilessly mocks most of the trek episodes she catches me watching, really liked this episode. The only other Trek she's liked were the Abrams movie and the Picard parts of "Darmok", so I'm not sure what that says.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 09:07 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

It says you have to work harder at feeding her Trek she likes because she has potential!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 09:15 AM   #18
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I hated this episode and seeing Homefront/Paradise Lost makes me hate this episode more. Why the heck wasn't Red Squad abolished after they tried to commit treason? Yeah it was the admiral in charge, but it seems to be the academy has a problem with hotshots and bad situations. Not only you had Red Squad, but also the squadran from TNG's first duty.

Also, the characters on the Valiant were pathetic and they blew up the defiant class she too early.
Old September 6 2012, 10:30 AM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

From memory, weren't they supposed to gather data on this new Domonion Battleship and return the intel to the Federation.

If so, they couldn't even follow the mission orders. They wan't to play hero.

But didn't the original scripit have Kira in it. he would have eaten the Cadet's for breakfast.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 01:30 PM   #20
NrobbieC
Commander

I love how practically everyone's favourite part is watching the children die
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 01:58 PM   #21
R. Star
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
From memory, weren't they supposed to gather data on this new Domonion Battleship and return the intel to the Federation.

If so, they couldn't even follow the mission orders. They wan't to play hero.

But didn't the original scripit have Kira in it. he would have eaten the Cadet's for breakfast.
That would have been amusing in it's own right. Really Nog should have taken them to task or at least tried to. He was an officer himself.

Granted he was only a few months removed from being granted a field commission in the middle of a war, otherwise he still would have been a cadet. (I always liked that they accelerated Nog's commission... that was just a small, subtle reminder that things were bad that people like Nog were being rushed into service) Thus he was only a few months removed from what was basically hero worship of Red Squad.

Giving a group of cadets a front line ship was definitely an epic fail. A cadet ship is an interesting concept but give them an old Miranda class or something. Something they'd have a field day just to keep running it's so old, learning a lot about basic repairs and engineering along with the rest of starship operations. And if they screw it up or mass collective stupidity overwhelms them, it's not that big of a loss.
Old September 6 2012, 09:22 PM   #22
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

NU Trek took a page right out of this episode.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 09:27 PM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
And this is why DS9 is better... there are consequences.
Old September 6 2012, 09:51 PM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Ship load of unliked teen cadets die. Ooooh, BIG consequnces! Nothing will ever be the same again!
Old September 6 2012, 10:17 PM   #25
R. Star
Rear Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Ship load of unliked teen cadets die. Ooooh, BIG consequnces! Nothing will ever be the same again!
Yeah, clearly it would've been better if a ship full of teen cadets had stopped a time travelling warlord by pulling victory out of their asses.
Old September 6 2012, 10:39 PM   #26
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

That reminds me of the time a guy prayed really hard and made a Dominion fleet vanish into thin air.
Old September 6 2012, 10:45 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

That reminds me of the time a guy prayed really hard and made a Dominion fleet vanish into thin air.
But Black Bajorian Jesus made good on his Second Coming!
Old September 6 2012, 10:58 PM   #28
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Yeah, clearly it would've been better if a ship full of teen cadets had stopped a time travelling warlord by pulling victory out of their asses.
Well its a lot better than a plan to have a conference with other captains at the ass end of the galaxy while the Federation burns.

Besides Kirk was leading the mission, you know the guy who pretty much all the 24th century captains hero worship to one degree or another.

I don't get this oh their cadets thing its the TOS cast on an important mission to save Earth and therefore have plot protection like if Picard or Sisko would have had they decided to use the same plan the Valiant crew used, not some quest kids who got all uppity because they had the same class of ship as the main characters. who are only

R. Star wrote: View Post
Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
And this is why DS9 is better... there are consequences.
Nu Trek had consequences Vulcan is gone for god's sake. DS9 just killed a bunch of cadets and never mentioned it again.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:48 PM   #29
Ryan8bit
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
They were on a "three month training mission to circumnavigate the Federation". LOL-what?
How could you even circumnavigate something which isn't 2-dimensional? Even assuming they meant on the axis of the galaxy, at Voyager speeds that would imply that the Federation is about 80 lys across.

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Nu Trek had consequences Vulcan is gone for god's sake.
Vulcan being gone in the movies will only affect Spock, and probably not that much. In a more developed universe, it would have serious repercussions, but I don't think the writers really care about that, probably nor should they.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 12:55 AM   #30
DWF
Vice Admiral

Visually it's a great ep. and I wouldn't have minded seeing the Enterprise E go up against one of those superbattleships. But I don't see how anybody could really root for the kids especially after their plan failed and they didn't hightail it out of there. And what's worse is that Walters was more than a control he came across as an addict as well.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote