RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,709
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 476
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 27 2012, 10:14 PM   #16
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Way of The Warrior: Battle with the Klingons

I think it's a rather a budget and rating issue. Staging good fight scenes takes a lot of time and money. Staging realistic knife fights is going to be a mess that would never be allowed to air. They also don't wear any sort of protection against blades and disruptors, going against Klingons twice their size in metal body armor.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 12:33 AM   #17
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I think it's a rather a budget and rating issue. Staging good fight scenes takes a lot of time and money. Staging realistic knife fights is going to be a mess that would never be allowed to air.
That's a good point; really, many forms of personal combat could potentially get QUITE a bit more bloody and disturbing than we ever see from the majority of TV shows. I don't mind them skipping out on all of THAT. There are war dramas and such that will actually make more of an attempt to really show that kind of realism, but outside of that kind of production, where showing the true results of such violence is part of the point, I don't think it's necessary or desirable.

Stopping short of that, I've always pegged the lousy Trek fights to, as you say, a lack of resources. Trek's budget has always been fairly limited, and while I would have loved to see fights that were more thoughtfully choreographed and faster paced, but the reality of the production just didn't allow for it.
They also don't wear any sort of protection against blades and disruptors, going against Klingons twice their size in metal body armor.
True, but I don't think this matters, honestly. I see people point this out often, and it bugs me because nothing the Klingons are wearing does anything either. Nothing that ANYONE wears - Klingon, Cardassian, Jem'Hadar - in combat seems to have any effect whatsoever against either fist, blade, or energy weapon. So it's kind of moot, and the metal-looking bits adorning Klingon uniforms are apparently purely ceremonial.

Don't misunderstand: I'm not defending this fact as logical. The fact that Klingon "armor", despite it's appearance, apparently does nothing, is itself kind of silly. So I'm not trying to say that it's perfectly ok that no race in the galaxy seems to employ any kind of body armor, I'm just saying it's not fair to single out Starfleet.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 09:35 AM   #18
Sexy Human
Lieutenant

Please see the thread I created about the lack of realism in star trek being absurd and insulting.

I am glad Im not the only one who sees how ridiculous it is.

Dont get me wrong, I was entertained, sure. But its just stupid.
Sexy Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 11:31 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sexy Human wrote: View Post
Please see the thread I created about the lack of realism in star trek being absurd and insulting.

Dont get me wrong, I was entertained, sure. But its just stupid.
If you want realism, you're in the wrong place. Science fiction....

Really though Human... is there anything about Trek you do like or don't think is stupid? How many flaming threads have you started this past week?
Old September 6 2012, 04:48 AM   #20
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Sexy Human wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone sees how ridiculous some of it is. It's not supposed to be a documentary.

Dont get me wrong, I was entertained, sure.
Then the only goal they had was accomplished.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:19 AM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
If you want realism, you're in the wrong place. Science fiction....
Tosk wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone sees how ridiculous some of it is. It's not supposed to be a documentary.
I could cry every time I read responses like that.

It's fiction, yeah. So would you be okay with Captain Kirk being able to breath in space, for example?
Old September 6 2012, 12:42 PM   #22
Tosk
Rear Admiral

There's a massive difference between "...the lack of realism in Star Trek being absurd and insulting" and the stretching of reality for the purposes of drama.
Old September 6 2012, 02:00 PM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

^ Thank you.
Old September 6 2012, 02:13 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
There's a massive difference between "...the lack of realism in Star Trek being absurd and insulting" and the stretching of reality for the purposes of drama.
So if for the "purposes of drama", Kirk would need to be able to breath in space, or survive a 300 meter drop with no injuries, or lift 1000 kg with one arm, you'd accept it? It's just fiction, and drama is everything, right?
Old September 7 2012, 08:14 AM   #25
Timo
Admiral

Well, the particular performances above are something I would certainly expect of a member of Earth's space military in the 2300s. That is, assuming there was such a thing as Earth's space military at that date, it would settle for nothing less. And the technology to do that would be at the lower end of the spectrum needed to have a space military in the first place.

FWIW, the Jedi in the SW prequels appear to do all of the above, and are still supposed to be good dramatic elements. Which they sort of were - until it came time for Palaptine to kill Mace Windu. Which he proceeds do do by chopping off his arms, electrocuting him, and throwing him off a skyscraper. All of which had been previously specifically established as being survivable things! So in the end, it's a matter of balance, not of the absolute level of fantasticality in a fantasy.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 02:38 AM   #26
ajac09
Lieutenant Junior Grade

one thing i noticed about this episode is how the dr is acting. I didnt realize till now that he must have been switched with the changeling because he seems to REALLY worry about odo and even comes and saves him once. and I wonder why star fleet only sent 6 freakin starshps to help.. the klingons had what 50 ships in this battle??!? WTF
ajac09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 06:33 AM   #27
Tosk
Rear Admiral

ajac09 wrote: View Post
I didnt realize till now that he must have been switched with the changeling because he seems to REALLY worry about odo and even comes and saves him once.
Yeah, a friend would do that too y'know.
Old September 8 2012, 09:09 AM   #28
MacLeod
Admiral

ajac09 wrote: View Post
one thing i noticed about this episode is how the dr is acting. I didnt realize till now that he must have been switched with the changeling because he seems to REALLY worry about odo and even comes and saves him once. and I wonder why star fleet only sent 6 freakin starshps to help.. the klingons had what 50 ships in this battle??!? WTF
Perhaps six starships was all that Starfleet could get to Deep Space Nine within the timeframe they had to gather and assemble a task force.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:31 PM   #29
Timo
Admiral

It's consistent that Starfleet has no forces anywhere near Bajor, as the place supposedly is out in the sticks - or at least far out of the focus of Starfleet deployments, as everybody originally thought Bajor was insignificant. (Perhaps there wasn't even a Starbase 375 in the neighborhood yet? But even that place was rather distant from Bajor.)

On the other hand, sending even one ship would still mean that the Federation is not giving up on DS9, which is a much-needed political signal in the circumstances. The ships would not affect the course of the battle one way or the other - but if Gowron fired at them, he'd be committing to much more than if he just fired at a Bajoran space station.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:51 PM   #30
publiusr
Commodore

That makes sense. Gowron was hoping to bluff at any rate.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote