Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 3 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
PPatters
Fleet Captain

TOS-era Defiant-class Ships

Hi there, great artists Sometimes, I like to play around on DeviantArt and the like and find new (to me), awesome Star Trek-inspired artwork. I recently found a TOS-era Defiant-class ship (http://evilgenius180.wordpress.com) and was trying to see if any of you all have done anything that is inspired by the Defiant-class that is more TOS-era. (Not necessarily as direct a comparison as this, but anything.) I did some searching and couldn't necessarily find anything, so I thought I'd ask and see
PPatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 06:10 AM   #2
Wingsley
Commodore

Re: TOS-era Defiant-class Ships

Are you talking about the TOS-ified Defiant-class warships on pages 5 and 6 on the "older posts" on this blog?

Last edited by Wingsley; September 4 2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

I did this one:
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 01:27 AM   #4
PPatters
Fleet Captain

Wingsley wrote: View Post
Are you talking about the TOS-ified Defiant-class warships on pages 5 and 6 on the "older posts" on this blog?
Precisely

And, Ian Keldon -- great stuff!
PPatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 02:28 AM   #5
Wingsley
Commodore

Did anyone ever put a plan view of Sisko's Defiant next to a plan view of a Constitution-class starship, both in the same scale? (I realize there has been some debate as to what the physical size of the Defiant was.)
Old September 5 2012, 04:17 AM   #6
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

^No, but it should be about half length against either (294m [TOS] or 305m[refit] vs 150m Defiant)
Old September 5 2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Ziz
Commodore

That looks OK but it's a very literal backdate design. The shapes and proportions are TOO similar. All that was done was smoothing out the hull and swapping the bridge dome and nacelle front/rear ends.

Ian's looks more logical, like something Starfleet cobbled together to test the concept. It got used on the sidelines and in special circumstances. Eventually, it evolved into the DS9 Defiant as ship design and technology changed over the decades.
Old September 5 2012, 02:35 PM   #8
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I prefer the version that inspired the one on those pages, the 2D one done by Rutger Warrink many years ago (top of this page).
Old September 5 2012, 08:02 PM   #9
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^That's still too obviously just a repainted Defiant. The shapes don't blend with the technology of the period. Maseo's Paris Class is still the best "TOS Defiant" in my opinion.
Old September 5 2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Albertese
Commodore

^^^
Agreed.

--Alex
Old September 6 2012, 12:08 AM   #11
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Did anyone ever put a plan view of Sisko's Defiant next to a plan view of a Constitution-class starship, both in the same scale? (I realize there has been some debate as to what the physical size of the Defiant was.)

I often thought about seeing those same two in scale.
If we go by the oft-used deck height comparison,
FJ Constitution class has the top five decks ABOVE the primary hull. If we go to six decks, then we're down to the upper half of the saucer rim.

Depending on your sources, the Defiant may be five or six decks high. If we go by deck heights, the Defiant is seemingly only as high as the Const. bridge down to the top of the primary hull (minus the bulky Defiant nacelles).

Yet every ship chart I've seen shows Defiant as a much greater size in relation to a Constitution class. Unless the deck height thing isn't comparable.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 12:35 AM   #12
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Look about halfway down this page under “blueprints"
[COLOR=#800080]http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/model.html[/COLOR] and you'll find the probable inspiration for the defiant? Just take away the nosecone, "neck" and "wings" of the Leif Ericson and you've basically got the defiant design. At any rate, this is probably a good place to start on a TOS era defiant.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 01:47 AM   #13
sojourner
Vice Admiral

While the Leif Ericson was designed by Matt Jefferies, I doubt anyone had it in mind when designing the Defiant.
http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/defiant.html
Old September 6 2012, 02:46 AM   #14
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

I disagree. In regards to the Leif Ericson, I didn't say anyone "had it in mind", I only suggested certain features of the concept art by Jefferies -most notably the engines- bear more than a passing resemblance to those on the Defiant. This suggests that those responsible for these features on the Defiant as we know it, were familiar with Jefferies concept art and/or the model kit, and were, at least subliminally, influenced by either one or both. If so, it would not be the first, or last, time those in the Star Trek art dept. took inspiration from among Jefferies earlier concept art.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 03:21 AM   #15
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
^That's still too obviously just a repainted Defiant. The shapes don't blend with the technology of the period. Maseo's Paris Class is still the best "TOS Defiant" in my opinion.
\

Isn't that the basis for the Sagittarius-class as seen in Vanguard?