Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 22 2012, 11:30 PM   #91
Mars
Captain

Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Ah, I have a brilliant name for this Star Trek Odyssey. A Synopsis: a Starship from the future, in this case a Galaxy Class retrofitted with an emergency medical hologram in its sickbay. The ship dates from sometime after the Enterprise D crashed, so there have been other modifications to it that wouldn't be in the original Enterprise D, the Deck plans are basically the same, perhaps the sets would a less plastic feel to it. As for the kidnapped crew, some of them will be from prisons, these the maniacal captain uses as enforcers, to get the other kidnapped crew mates to do what he says. The EMH doctor has developed a personality of his own, and he does not like this new captain, he wants to help the crew to mutiny, but he needs to find out first who he can trust, and he can't leave the sickbay, so that is an important limitation. The "captain" tends to underestimate these downtimers, as they are not from the 24th century, he thinks that means he can more easily control them, turns out not to be completely accurate.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 03:42 PM   #92
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Doesn't really sound like Star Trek to me.
Old August 23 2012, 07:24 PM   #93
Mars
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Has all the story elements, just one thing missing, No Federation. The crew are not Star Fleet officers, they do not have Star Fleet training or discipline all they have is a Starship and a captain that's analogous to Captain Bligh. The people on this starship have to work this out together, they're one ship against the galaxy, probably the Klingons won't be much of a threat unless they wish to take on the entire Klingon fleet!
Old August 25 2012, 12:41 AM   #94
Knight Templar
Commodore

Mars wrote: View Post
Has all the story elements, just one thing missing, No Federation. The crew are not Star Fleet officers, they do not have Star Fleet training or discipline all they have is a Starship and a captain that's analogous to Captain Bligh. The people on this starship have to work this out together, they're one ship against the galaxy, probably the Klingons won't be much of a threat unless they wish to take on the entire Klingon fleet!
In reality, Captain Bligh was known to be an overly agreeable and accomodating captain to his crew and that his permissiveness allowed the famous mutiny to form and allowed conditions on board to deterioriate to the point they did.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 01:38 AM   #95
Mars
Captain

Knight Templar wrote: View Post
In reality, Captain Bligh was known to be an overly agreeable and accomodating captain to his crew and that his permissiveness allowed the famous mutiny to form and allowed conditions on board to deterioriate to the point they did.
Well there has to be something wrong with a captain who steals a starship and goes back in time with it. Let me refer you to a non Star Trek novel Island in the Sea of Time by SM Stirling, you can look up the basic plot in the internet as well. In Island in the Sea of Time, the Island of Nantucket from our time gets sent to the year 1250 BC, and there was one particularlly unscruplous character, in the US Coast Guard was made first officer of the USC Eagle, a clipper ship that was taken along with the body of water and Nantucket back to the year 1250 BC. A character named William Walker initiated a coup against his Captain Marian Alston, and took off first to Britian, and later to Greece to create his own empire with his superior technology and weapons, and he build up a force to conquer the World, and set himself up in conflict with the Nantucteers. I'm thinking of a Star Trek Captain with a personality similar to this William Walker.
Old August 25 2012, 03:15 AM   #96
BillJ
Admiral

But, once again, it really doesn't sound like Star Trek to me. Though it could be a concept for a kick ass original series.
Old August 25 2012, 03:36 AM   #97
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Well, you can have something way different from what we've known, and still call it Trek. Or something with the exploration/humanity-gets-its-act-together ethos. I go for the latter. Didn't really get it on ST09, imho.
Old August 25 2012, 12:30 PM   #98
Mars
Captain

The thing is 24th century starships are very easy to learn, there are training programs on the holodecks on how to repair the various subsystems, and there are replicators that can be used to produce various spare parts. The starship could easily move up to various asteroids and mine them for raw materials if need be, so a Galaxy class could be quite self-sufficient, about as self-sufficient as the Voyager proved to be when it was stranded in the Delta quadrant.
Old September 5 2012, 10:25 AM   #99
Sexy Human
Lieutenant

Excitement, intensity, intrigue, deceit, better music, great sadness, key characters dying, unexpected twists, imaginitive plots.
Sexy Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 01:09 PM   #100
Mars
Captain

Of course, and putting 21st century people that we can better relate too could help a lot too. Hence my idea for having a 24th century Starship appear in orbit with a mad captain who kidnaps people with the transporter to fill out his crew roster. Say the guy was switched over from the mirror universe due to a transporter accident, and then found an excuse to get rid of its 24th century crew, and using the slingshot maneuver he takes the ship to the 21st century, our time, and begins his plot to built the Terran Empire with himself as Emperor. First he beams up a bunch of criminals from jails to act as security officers, then he beams up world class scientists from before they became famous so they wouldn't be missed. A few soldiers are beamed up as well to provide military training etc.
Old September 5 2012, 02:34 PM   #101
BillJ
Admiral

Of course, and putting 21st century people that we can better relate too could help a lot too. Hence my idea for having a 24th century Starship appear in orbit with a mad captain who kidnaps people with the transporter to fill out his crew roster. Say the guy was switched over from the mirror universe due to a transporter accident, and then found an excuse to get rid of its 24th century crew, and using the slingshot maneuver he takes the ship to the 21st century, our time, and begins his plot to built the Terran Empire with himself as Emperor. First he beams up a bunch of criminals from jails to act as security officers, then he beams up world class scientists from before they became famous so they wouldn't be missed. A few soldiers are beamed up as well to provide military training etc.
Why not just bring a person forward in time from the 21st century. Seems less convoluted.
Old September 5 2012, 05:02 PM   #102
Mars
Captain

Why not just bring a person forward in time from the 21st century. Seems less convoluted.
The stakes aren't as high then.
Old September 7 2012, 02:21 AM   #103
TonyC
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to TonyC Send a message via Yahoo to TonyC

Maybe its me, and I'm new so take this with a grain of salt. I'm not sure I understand why everyone seems to be 'forward in time, Enterprise XXX.' There are other starships in the 23rd C. that could be shown, other crews. I just think 3 series set in the NG era is too much, the 22nd C. had 4 seasons, and the 23rd C. had 3 seasons, 6 movies. There's still stories to tell back then. (IMO, grab some of the better novels that have been done and use them as basis for some episodes.) Or...

ST: CSI type series
ST: MASH type series set either in the E-R war, or the Dominion War
ST: JAG type (as those JAG officers did a lot more than try cases. Esp. Harm Rabb)

Just my opinion, I'd like to see your replies.
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 03:01 AM   #104
Mars
Captain

TonyC wrote: View Post
Maybe its me, and I'm new so take this with a grain of salt. I'm not sure I understand why everyone seems to be 'forward in time, Enterprise XXX.' There are other starships in the 23rd C. that could be shown, other crews. I just think 3 series set in the NG era is too much, the 22nd C. had 4 seasons, and the 23rd C. had 3 seasons, 6 movies. There's still stories to tell back then. (IMO, grab some of the better novels that have been done and use them as basis for some episodes.) Or...

ST: CSI type series
ST: MASH type series set either in the E-R war, or the Dominion War
ST: JAG type (as those JAG officers did a lot more than try cases. Esp. Harm Rabb)

Just my opinion, I'd like to see your replies.
CSI: Someone shoots a guy with a phaser and he vaporizes, a missing persons report is filed, but his body is never found.

Death by transporter "accident" somebody reprograms the transporter to transport someone out into space instead of to a planet's surface, find the evidence of that.

MASH: It would be the first Comedy in star trek history, a bunch of wise cracking doctors repair the wounded with various trek devises while cracking jokes, and one male crewmen likes to wear dresses and makeup.

JAG is just the other end of CSI but in the courts, hard to think of anything duller than a 24th or 23rd century court, but maybe its just me.
Old September 7 2012, 03:06 AM   #105
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Time period doesn't matter IMO; there's way too much splitting hairs over what century the next series should be in. Just so long as its recognizably Star Trek, I'm happy.