Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 5 2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Are any of the fanmade Trek productions actually good?

I have neither seen nor hardly read anything about the fan productions. But I've become curious about them the latest months, a fact I was reminded of in my TOS fans - What's your second favorite show? thread.

So does anyone here has any experience of those productions?
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 02:33 PM   #2
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: Are any of the fanmade Trek productions actually good?

That is very much an individual call. I certainly think you have to take them at face value. They are fan productions, after all. That being said, I have watched quite a few and have enjoyed them. As long as the story draws me in, any acting issues I may have often drift into the background. My question is - Have you seen any and if so, which ones and what did you think of them?
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 02:45 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I know some hate it, but I loved Star Trek: Of Gods and Men. I think it's a cute little epilogue to TOS. www.startrekofgodsandmen.com

As for Phase II/New Voyages, "To Serve All My Days" and "World Enough and Time" were enjoyable. The rest... aren't as good, IMO.
(although I loved seeing a live-action Mr. Arex in their latest mini-episode!)

If you like Star Trek: The Animated Series, Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes is a must-see: www.farragut-animated.com they're very authentic.
Old September 5 2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Nacluv wrote: View Post
Well, I am in the first "Starship Exeter". Literally "phoned in" my part. (Actually, I mean it was filmed here in Australia and posted to Jimm Johnson.) I'm biased, but I love the way it fondly lampoons every TOS cliche, except Kirk getting the girl.

http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au...ip-exeter.html

The link mainly has the director's commentary versions, but I believe the regular sections are on Youtube as well. Jimm has allowed the official site to lapse, but the sections are also available as free video podcasts from iTunes.

TOS Senator Therin by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

The second episode still lacks an ending, trapped in a loop of post-production, but supposedly coming realsoonnow.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; September 5 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 05:42 PM   #5
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I know some hate it, but I loved Star Trek: Of Gods and Men. I think it's a cute little epilogue to TOS. www.startrekofgodsandmen.com

As for Phase II/New Voyages, "To Serve All My Days" and "World Enough and Time" were enjoyable. The rest... aren't as good, IMO.

If you like Star Trek: The Animated Series, Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes is a must-see: www.farragut-animated.com they're very authentic.
I can't speak for Starship Farragut, I haven't seen it. But I agree with your recommendations for Of Gods and Men, and Phase II. I haven't seen all the episodes of that yet, but the ones I have seen were very well done.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Lord Garth
Captain

I'll be honest, I enjoyed Phase II's version of "The Child" more than TNG's.

A few minor nitpicks: I wish the Deltan, I don't recall her name, was bald. Peter Kirk wouldn't have been old enough to be a Starfleet officer in Phase II. He looked about 14 in "Operation: Annihilate!" so he'd be 17 at the oldest here. Xon was redundant.

Otherwise, this was a solid piece of work.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 10:45 PM   #7
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I'm impressed with the jobs done on Exeter, and Phase II. Pretty well done, for fan productions.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 02:04 AM   #8
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile

What happened to Exeter?
Old September 6 2012, 05:02 AM   #9
RB_Kandy
Commander

I just got through watching Starship Exeter - The Savage Empire, it was good, I liked it.

The thing is about watching these fan films, you must view them as fan films. That's a bit hard to explain.
You must view these films as a shoe string budget film made by amateurs who want to capture the spirit of star trek; not as a company trying to make a blockbuster film.
RB_Kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

RB_Kandy wrote: View Post
The thing is about watching these fan films, you must view them as fan films. That's a bit hard to explain.
You must view these films as a shoe string budget film made by amateurs who want to capture the spirit of star trek; not as a company trying to make a blockbuster film.
You make a good point, because this addresses my problem with them: bad/amateur acting takes me out of the story and lessens the experience for me. Even some of the movies I worked on had the same issues. I'll try to be more forgiving in the future. Thank you, RB_Kandy.

KingDaniel, thanks for the links. I'm headed over to Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes....
Old September 6 2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Nacluv wrote: View Post
Well, I am in the first "Starship Exeter"...

The second episode still lacks an ending, trapped in a loop of post-production, but supposedly coming realsoonnow.
It's in the queue.

—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 02:19 PM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

There's a big personal problem I have when I'm watching fan films/low budget films in general. I hate video. The look is off putting, it takes me out of the experience every time and I can't take it as seriously. For the same reason I dislike recent Michael Mann films. Public Enemy, Collateral, Miami Vice, they look so incredibly cheap, even though they aren't, and it takes me out of the scenes every single time.

There's something about that contrast between "great sets" or "good actors" and then "horrible camera and sound" that puts me totally off. For some reason, I can take a bad set and bad acting if camera and sound is great, but not the other way round.

The worst thing is when, even though they only have only low budget video cameras, they decide to use shaky cam and zooming and focussing and over/under exposure and similar things as stylistic device. That makes it look even cheaper and more unprofessional. Stuff like that ruined "Of Gods and Men" for me for example.

The thing is, in my opinion, one should not try to "ruin" the image on purpose when you already are on a low budget. Try to make it look as good as possible.

Last edited by JarodRussell; September 6 2012 at 02:29 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 03:59 PM   #13
lurok
Commodore

I've only seen two. Of Gods And Men, which has heart in right place but is a little shaky. But I was very impressed by the animated Aurora. http://auroratrek.com/
Old September 6 2012, 05:12 PM   #14
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Star Trek: Aurora, The Tressaurian Intersection, and World Enough and Time are all good.
Old September 6 2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post

I can't speak for Starship Farragut, I haven't seen it. But I agree with your recommendations for Of Gods and Men, and Phase II. I haven't seen all the episodes of that yet, but the ones I have seen were very well done.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote