Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 4 2012, 08:00 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Pine: Star Trek 2 Threat

According to Chris Pine, Star Trek 2 will not be “like the original but darker.” Star Trek will be taking its own direction, not following that of another recent franchise reboot. “We’re not making Batman,” said Pine. “That is not our deal.” Pine went on to talk a little about what Star Trek 2 would [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Pine: Star Trek 2 Threat

Chris Pine wrote:
Pine doesn’t know about any plans for Star Trek 3, but he assumes there will be one. “Knowing these guys, there’s always a way to make some more installments,” he said. “I’m sure they’ve built-in something, I’m just not smart enough to have seen it! But I’m sure there’s a way. What I do know from the start, in terms of structure, they’ve had an idea of where they want to take the whole thing, just like a television series. I’m very excited about Part 2; when we finished shooting, everybody was [stoked].”
Sounds like Star Trek 2 is going to end quite definitively if Pine's having trouble seeing how they'll do a third film afterwards.

I keep thinking back to that shot of Scotty and Chekov dressed for what looks like a military funeral... I think our crew may be short a few members by the end of this film.

Last edited by King Daniel Into Darkness; September 4 2012 at 10:46 PM.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

I don't see why there needs to be a lead-in anyway. Some of the best stories stand quite well on their own.
Old September 4 2012, 10:04 PM   #4
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Chris Pine wrote:
Pine doesn’t know about any plans for Star Trek 3, but he assumes there will be one. “Knowing these guys, there’s always a way to make some more installments,” he said. “I’m sure they’ve built-in something, I’m just not smart enough to have seen it! But I’m sure there’s a way. What I do know from the start, in terms of structure, they’ve had an idea of where they want to take the whole thing, just like a television series. I’m very excited about Part 2; when we finished shooting, everybody was [stoked].”
Sounds like Star Trek 2 is going to end quite definitively is Pine's having trouble seeing how they'll do a third film afterwards.

I keep thinking back to that shot of Scotty and Chekov dressed for what looks like a military funeral... I think our crew may be short a few members by the end of this film.
Would be interesting, because I don't expect them to do any serious changes to the formula. Killing off any of the TOS main characters in the second film after just having re-introduced them?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 10:21 PM   #5
CorporalClegg
Admiral

The force [...] is much more frightening.
Ah. So it is Star Wars!

This is good news though if true (can never be too sure about actor hype). One of my biggest fears was they were going to try and emulate the Nolan formula.
Old September 4 2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Procutus
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Would be interesting, because I don't expect them to do any serious changes to the formula. Killing off any of the TOS main characters in the second film after just having re-introduced them?

I agree completely, that would be rather short-sighted on their part to do something of that nature. Not to mention the fact that it calls to mind the ending of TWoK, and I'm starting to think that J.J. and Co. are serious about trying to find their own voice and not simply re-do what's been done before.

As for those uniforms we saw some time back, I almost got the impression that they weren't Starfleet unis and that Scotty and Chekov perhaps were infiltrating another organization (Section 31, maybe?) I'm just sayin'.
Old September 4 2012, 10:57 PM   #7
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I can see people leaving Starfleet, turning their back against the crew or even turning bad, but I can't see any of them dying.
Old September 4 2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I can see people leaving Starfleet, turning their back against the crew or even turning bad, but I can't see any of them dying.
Eh, they could kill off Spock Prime (And leave him dead). It would bring tear-jerker Drama, he wouldn't be a character that would hurt them by removing him from the canvas, and it would enable Leonard Nimoy to retire again, this time going out with a Death Scene for Spock that sticks.

Now, I don't necessarily have a desire to see Spock Prime killed off, but, it would be the biggest bang for the buck, without hurting the canvas of characters available to use for future movies

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

There were TOS episodes featuring the "deaths" of Scotty ("The Changeling"), Chekov ("Spectre of the Gun"), McCoy ("Shore Leave") and Kirk ("Amok Time"), and all got miracle resurrections. Casual, and even avid, viewers wouldn't necessarily have predicted the resurrections, except maybe Kirk's, since he was the credited lead actor. (De Kelley didn't get an opening credit till Season Two). Spock died in ST II and was left dead for a whole movie. The next film could certainly end with a death/funeral that gets reversed - or not - in a subsequent film.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:07 PM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
There were TOS episodes featuring the "deaths" of Scotty ("The Changeling"), Chekov ("Spectre of the Gun"), McCoy ("Shore Leave") and Kirk ("Amok Time"), and all got miracle resurrections. Spock died in ST II and was left dead for a whole movie. The next film could certainly end with a death/funeral that gets reversed - or not - in a subsequent film.
Didn't Orci say there are no reset buttons anymore?
Old September 5 2012, 01:19 AM   #11
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Didn't Nimoy say that Wrath of Khan would be his last Star Trek film?
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

But it was you who said, "I can't see any of them dying". If no one is hitting a reset button, doesn't that increase the possibility of someone being killed off?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 02:27 AM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

You guys are missing a big hint in that story...

“The force [the Enterprise crew] are met with is much more frightening.
It's Mitchell. He's the character who best fits "frightening force." Maybe Lord Garth, outside odds on Gary Seven, but Khan is less lkely than a herd of tribbles. He represents a threatening idea more than a force, and popcorn movies are poor places to explore ideas. Mitchell and his glowing eyes are tailor made for a summer flick.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 11:55 AM   #14
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Maybe RedJack, or whatever he was called. Scotty's gonna knife poor Gaila.

Or, perhaps, the twizzling spizzning red-blue blob (no relation to The Red-Blue Blur) from "Day of the Dove"
Old September 6 2012, 01:29 PM   #15
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Orci once said the sequel would be inspired by The Dark Knight. Which means Uhura is killed by the bad guy and Spock blames Kirk for it, and the Tumbler, err, the Enterprise gets destroyed.