Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 31 2012, 11:55 PM   #16
MarsWeeps
Captain

Re: This Side of Paradise question (spoiler)

I have to laugh at the spoiler tag in the title. Spoiler...for an episode that's 45 years old?
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 03:58 AM   #17
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View emergencyfruit's Twitter Profile

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
I have to laugh at the spoiler tag in the title. Spoiler...for an episode that's 45 years old?
It was my first post on the forum. :P Better safe than sorry, no?
emergencyfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 09:52 AM   #18
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

emergencyfruit wrote: View Post
I don't have a problem with it.
Old September 4 2012, 08:40 PM   #19
22 Stars
Commodore

It is pretty laughable. Reminds me of a friend who was discussing King Kong with his father, and let slip that the monkey dies at the end.... now what is that, like 79 year old spoiler at this point!?
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

22 Stars wrote: View Post
It is pretty laughable. Reminds me of a friend who was discussing King Kong with his father, and let slip that the monkey dies at the end.... now what is that, like 79 year old spoiler at this point!?
The sad thing is, they were probably people going to the Peter Jackson version that had never seen the original b/w version.

But you'd think they'd have at least heard how it ended!
Old September 4 2012, 08:51 PM   #21
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

How about we simply let emergencyfruit know that the board rules don't require spoiler designations for things that old, and just move on without calling it "laughable"?
Old September 4 2012, 08:57 PM   #22
22 Stars
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The sad thing is, they were probably people going to the Peter Jackson version that had never seen the original b/w version.

But you'd think they'd have at least heard how it ended!
Greg, I agree, and the funny thing is I think it was the father who hadn't seen it, and he may have been around in 1933 for the first run!

Oh and I read 'spoiler' and laughed, so it was laughable, but i meant no disrespect to the OP, for the record.
Old September 4 2012, 08:59 PM   #23
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
emergencyfruit wrote: View Post
I don't have a problem with it.
Nor do I. As has been ably demonstrated by some of the posters on this board, there's very little respect for spoilerific information on sites like Facebook and even in threads on this board. I much prefer to err on the side of caution and always appreciate it when others do as well, no matter how old the film or tv show being discussed is.

I mean, the twist at Psycho is something that was ruined for me before I saw the film. That sucked. Alternatively, imagine something less important like the Yoda reveal in Empire Strikes Back or who Keyser Soze is in The Usual Suspects or the twist at the end of The Sixth Sense.

If I had my druthers, we'd always include spoiler tags for such things because there's just no way to know who has seen what by when, and frankly it's not all that much extra work to include in a post.

Your mileage may vary of course and I know there are those who disagree with me, but I stand by my opinion on this.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 09:06 PM   #24
22 Stars
Commodore

^ wow, i acknowledge your opinion on this, though I think the ship has sailed long ago on this. Media outlets, let alone yokels on the internet routinely 'spoil' things, with the approval of the producers. Last week Letterman was chatting with a guest and spoke as if it were common knowledge regarding characters in his upcoming movie. I had already guessed the contents of this conversation but, damn, now THAT was a spoiler for someone who cared and didn't know.

A plot point, not even the punchline of the episode, of a 45 year old episode on a board full of people who worship it, hardly needs a spoiler.
Old September 4 2012, 09:09 PM   #25
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Well, I suppose the difference is simply whether or not it's a spoiler about something you've (the general you) seen already or not.

I'd rather not be spoiled myself, and get supremely irritated when I do, inadvertently because someone else didn't have the momentary consideration to use a spoiler tag or warning. But like I said, that's just me.

Either way, I think it's a bit much to be teasing a newbie poster about it after their first post on the board.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 09:21 PM   #26
22 Stars
Commodore

I agree, and no teasing was intended from here.

There must be a fun site with classic 'non spoilers' **BTW, Truman beats Dewey!** and the like.
Old September 4 2012, 10:06 PM   #27
scotpens
Vice Admiral

There must be a fun site with classic 'non spoilers' **BTW, Truman beats Dewey!** and the like.
"It's a COOKBOOK!"
Old September 5 2012, 12:07 AM   #28
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

If you don't want to be spoiled on a 45 year old show then don't read a forum about a 45 year old show. If you had to post spoilers for TOS every single post would be one big spoiler tag.

I got spoiled on Enterprise because I looked at the forum a couple years after it was over, before I'd seen it to the end. Guess whose fault that was.. mine.

OP, I think it is sweet you erred on the side of caution. It's a big forum and when you're new it's a little nerve wracking to figure out what is acceptable and what isn't at times.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 12:29 AM   #29
tighr
Commodore

One possible exception* to that rule is if a poster is doing a watch-thread, and invites participation from others, especially if they have never watched a particular series (in this case, perhaps TOS?). I have participated in a few threads like that, and as we follow along on the show with the OP, it's best to not tell them information about upcoming episodes. Sure, TOS is 45 years old, TNG is 25, DS9 and Voyager are 15 years old at this point, but if you're watching them all at once, it's still new to you.

*Just an exception to the rule. Doesn't stop spoilers from being posted in other people's threads, obviously. Abandon hope all ye who enter, blah blah...
Old September 5 2012, 12:34 AM   #30
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Yes I agree tighr that is the exception. The poster usually requests no spoilers and people are good about reminding each other and editing posts if something slips through. That's a specific thread set up that way and it works well. Wouldn't work for a whole forum though, I can't even imagine how irritating it would be to discuss stuff if you had to spoiler tag constantly.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote