Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old September 3 2012, 11:09 AM   #151
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: No News, No Nothing!!

One teaser and there will be more buzz than you can shake a beehive at. Whether it's now or four months from now.

Months ago we got to see a fight scene! How cool is that? We've seen pictures of Spock in his "volcano suit" we've seen the Klingon pic, we've seen the new shuttle, we know loads of the locations used, we saw the new Stargate Altantis-style uniforms, we've seen Alice Eve's Dr. Dehner haircut, we've seen Scotty and Chekov dressed for a military funeral, we've seen the red forest....

I say we've had plenty.
Old September 3 2012, 12:08 PM   #152
Mach5
Rear Admiral

And then, there's also this:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/did-mys...014000099.html

"Hopefully Abrams has learned that lesson for the future."
Or DID he?
Old September 3 2012, 03:03 PM   #153
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Interesting article. I'll agree one of the reasons I didn't bother with Super 8 was the fact that there was no indication at all what it was about. But the primary reason was that it was an Abrams movie, and I am in no mood for anymore of his GNDNMFs (Goes Nowhere Does Nothing Mind Fucks). I'll only bother with Trek XII because it is Star Trek.

But as much as I hate Abrams's uber secrecy and clamp down of info, I'm afraid I don't agree it'll hurt the box office. This is a Star Trek movie, I have no doubt that by May there will be some sort of Star trek presence to make the general public aware. TV commercials, action figures, Burger King promotions, the works. My main pet peeve is that not everyone is as secretive as Abrams. I cna think of plenty of movies released here lately in which the producers/directors/stars revealed a lot more than we know about Trek XII and those movies did fine. For example, even though the role he was playing was initially not revealed when it was announced Tom Hardy was going to be in The Dark Knight Rises, we found out over a year before the movie's release that he was playing Bane. Just when do we find out who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing? All we know is that maybe he's Khan, but possibly he's Gary Mitchell. He's probably not Cloud William and definitely not Charile X.
Old September 3 2012, 04:21 PM   #154
ralph
Captain

In this mystery, the first trailer will come with great expectations. The responsibility to not disappoint the audience is greater than if you were giving information gradually.
Old September 3 2012, 04:45 PM   #155
Mach5
Rear Admiral

ralph wrote: View Post
The responsibility to not disappoint the audience is greater than if you were giving information gradually.
And with that greater responsibility comes the greater likelihood of disappointment.

Personally, If I hadn't known of most of the controversial bits in ST XI long before I actually saw it, I probably would have freaked right there in the theater. Foreknowledge allowed me to deal with all that shit early, and truly enjoy the movie for what it was.
Old September 3 2012, 05:34 PM   #156
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I actually kinda wish that I hadn't heard about the Spock/Uhura thing ahead of time. I would have loved to have had my jaw dropped in the theater along with the rest of the audience.

That would've been great.

(I still regret that a friend warned me about the chestburster scene in ALIEN before I saw it for the first time!)
Old September 3 2012, 06:10 PM   #157
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

DonIago wrote: View Post
I can't tell whether you're joking or not, but I have a hard time believing that anyone would really expect a Star Trek movie of any caliber to pull in as much as Avengers.
Last time around it was: "Star Trek needs to be promoted like The Dark Knight" and "If only Star Trek had been promoted like The Dark Knight, it would have made a lot more" and "Look at how much The Dark Knight made overseas, compared to Star Trek! They should have done more international promotion", when there's nothing to show that any of that would have been remotely true. Comparing Star Trek to Batman was comparing apples to oranges then, and so is comparing Star Trek to The Avengers now.

Mach5 wrote: View Post
And then, there's also this:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/did-mys...014000099.html

"Hopefully Abrams has learned that lesson for the future."
Or DID he?
Meh.

The whole point to Cloverfield was that people knew almost nothing going in, and Super 8 ended up turning a nice profit in spite of audiences not being spoiled on everything well in advance. It's also a fact that the way those movies were promoted was distinctly different from the way Star Trek was promoted - you might recall that, with the post-Super Bowl ad blitz in February 2009, a lot of people were wondering whether Star Trek hadn't already been overpromoted and the hype was peaking too soon.

So not worried about the promo aspect of this. Abrams and his Bad Robots know what they're doing. It'll all happen in plenty of time, and plenty of people will be plenty aware of it by the time the movie opens.
Old September 4 2012, 12:30 AM   #158
The Wormhole
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I actually kinda wish that I hadn't heard about the Spock/Uhura thing ahead of time. I would have loved to have had my jaw dropped in the theater along with the rest of the audience.

That would've been great.
I actually hadn't heard anything about Spock and Uhura ahead of time. Despite my scouring for spoilers and learning quite a bit (destruction of Vulcan, Nero's defeat) that did come out of the blue for me. Hell, I know people who waited to watch the movie on DVD that were surprised about that.
Old September 4 2012, 04:03 PM   #159
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
Especially since the last one, because of all the secrecy, tanked at the box office.
It certainly didn't tank, however:

Star Trek - Worldwide: $385,680,446

The Avengers - Worldwide: $1,501,845,000.

Avengers made double domestic than Star Trek did worldwide. Logically speaking, it could be because Marvel started promoting Avengers from 2010 onwards. Hell, Iron Man 2 was basically one big promo for it. So yes, the extreme amount of secrecy is truly hurting this movie. At least thats what I think.
Well, if you wanna go down that road, you better add onto the Avengers Budget, the budgets for Iron Man 1 and 2, both Hulk movies, Thor and Captain America, since that earlier buzz came from them.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old September 4 2012, 04:52 PM   #160
EyalM
Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
Especially since the last one, because of all the secrecy, tanked at the box office.

Avengers made double domestic than Star Trek did worldwide. Logically speaking, it could be because Marvel started promoting Avengers from 2010 onwards. Hell, Iron Man 2 was basically one big promo for it. So yes, the extreme amount of secrecy is truly hurting this movie. At least thats what I think.
Well, if you wanna go down that road, you better add onto the Avengers Budget, the budgets for Iron Man 1 and 2, both Hulk movies, Thor and Captain America, since that earlier buzz came from them.
I think the two Hulk movies probably subtracted from the buzz.
Old September 4 2012, 08:59 PM   #161
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

EyalM wrote: View Post

LOL, fair enough. I tried watching the Ang Lee one, and it didn't work for me (which I understand is a popular opinion). I haven't seen the second one, but, it's my understanding it was much better received amongst the fandom.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old September 4 2012, 11:28 PM   #162
Mach5
Rear Admiral

LOL, fair enough. I tried watching the Ang Lee one, and it didn't work for me (which I understand is a popular opinion). I haven't seen the second one, but, it's my understanding it was much better received amongst the fandom.
Ang Lee tried to make it deep and it didn't exactly work, while Luis Leterrier just made a plain action movie and it worked okay, but still... Something was missing.

However, I wouldn't call any of the two a BAD movie.
Old September 5 2012, 01:29 AM   #163
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

EyalM wrote: View Post

Being as the first one came out very nearly 9 years prior to The Avengers, I'd say that its effect on the buzz is probably negligible.
Old September 8 2012, 05:30 AM   #164
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

MORE BULLSHIT!

'We've got a name now but we can't tell you'

Well I tell you what JJ, I've got $50 burning a hole in my pocket and I'll spend it on crack, ho's and a bag of pork scratchings rather than watch your so secret super movie and line your secret pockets.

BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT.
Old September 8 2012, 05:34 AM   #165
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Dude, the movie's still a while off. Put the money in a savings account or something.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Closed Thread