RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Posts: 5,429,213
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 429
Newest member: 118_Larson


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"
Geronimo! 96 55.17%
Good 57 32.76%
Average 15 8.62%
Save us! 4 2.30%
Exterminate!! 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 4 2012, 11:02 AM   #316
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I haven't read the rest of the thread (yet) but I loved this episode. Through and through. Easily the best Dalek episode since "Dalek" and one of Moffat's best episodes in recent time.

Some people went into this expecting a masturbatory "Every Dalek but the Kitchen Sink Dalek" overblown, nonsensical thrill ride to give RTD a run for his money. Instead I found this to be a quieter, atmospheric, more personal story, a story that the Daleks richly deserve, one which they haven't gotten since "Dalek" (or Big Finish's I, Davros).

Were all of the Daleks we've ever seen in the history of show in it? Yes, they were, but they weren't in your face "Look at us! We're all of the Daleks ever!" Instead they were just there. An asylum planet full of broken Daleks and Daleks defeated by The Doctor was the perfect way of getting away with that.

At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the idea of humanoid Daleks (I read about this appearance before I saw the episode), especially after the disaster that was "Daleks in Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks," but I found them to be effectively creepy and reasonably believable (as believable as one can be in Doctor Who).

As for the Rory/Amy conflict, I didn't like it at first because I thought it was going to be an unnecessary divide to create conflict and then have them slowly fall in love with each other in the upcoming episode. However, once Amy and Rory argued about the split and we learned what led to it, it felt a bit more natural and fit fairly well with the episode. I'm still not sure if it was necessary but I'm willing to accept it as long as we're back to Amy and Rory being a couple (but with things to work out obviously).

And now for Oswin. Simply said, I adore her. But I'm a sucker for a brunette in a red dress wearing red trainers and a utility belt. I mean, who isn't? Then you through in the dimples and the whimsical wit, you've got yourself a winning character. I'm not sure why, but she felt like a Big Finish companion. I can't give any rhyme or reason for it, but it was a random thought I had during the episode. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by her ultimate fate. I certainly didn't expect her to be properly rescued considering that we know she doesn't become a full-fledged companion until the Christmas episode. Nonetheless, I was shocked by the revelation that she was a Dalek and a shed a tear regarding her fate.

One side thought: I loved the reference to Barbara when we see The Doctor through the Dalek's eyestalk and he throws his arms all around the door frame.

One final thought (I swear!): I loved the twist of Oswin wiping the memories of The Doctor from all of the Daleks' minds. Hopefully this will play into the more low-key Doctor that was set-up the end of last season.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:09 AM   #317
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I was amused by the Doctor's single minded hatred of the Daleks, commented on at the Parliament, shown dramatically in the wake of convincing Oswin she'd been converted into a Dalek. The look of on his face was great, 'What did I do that for?' as she started with the 'Exterminate' line.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:09 AM   #318
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
And this. Folks point out the behavior, you get defensive and go into denial. The 'Flaws' you find are mostly matters of your opinion and are nothing really objective. A show 'so crippled with flaws' is no opinion worth taking seriously about Doctor Who.
Oh you sneaked this in an edit after I'd already replied. That's true of some of my criticisms, not of some others. What's your point? Neither you nor anyone else has responded to any of them either way, instead choosing to spend nearly two pages just talking about me personally. It's getting very silly. I mean, I'm flattered really, but enough's enough.
Then have the self respect to look at yourself. Continue as you do and get the reactions you have been getting. You wish people would talk about your opinions, then try being more civil. Continue with the constant over the top internet tough act and passive aggressiveness and your opinions will be ignored for your persona, which seems more likely what you want as your unwillingness to learn from posters comments demonstrates.
People are responsible for their own reactions, I'm not going to sugarcoat my opinions. "Then have the self respect to look at yourself." Likewise.
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:19 AM   #319
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Do Daleks have gender?

How do they reproduce?

Cloning?

So.

This Parliament recovered the massive Dalek Army the Doctor buried under all that molten ice on Spidiron?

So that's the idea behind this massive Dalek civilization, find the fallen, nurse them back to health until they can sic balls?

I mean with time travel, even time scoops at work, they can totally freejack all the lost causes they left for dead the first time around.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:46 AM   #320
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

ROBE wrote: View Post
Well that was BRILLIANT!
The now lost Second Doctor first story The Power of the Daleks was set on Vulcan.
Oh, good catch there. I completely forgot about that.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
BTW, I did get a Zoe vibe from Oswin. Glad I'm not the only one.
I didn't think of Zoe but I can definitely see the similarities.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Brilliant!


Holdfast wrote: View Post
BTW, not being immersed in Who fandom, this has probably been discussed ad infinitum already, but I did chuckle at the name of the pretty new companion: IIRC from history class, Oswin translates to "friend/ally of god" and Oswald to "having the power of god". Calling a Doctor's companion "God's friend" is quite a cheeky little wink.
Oh, that's a cool insight. Thanks for sharing that.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 11:50 AM   #321
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Was disapointed a bit by the lack of pre 2005 daleks, but overall it was enjoyable. One of the best Moffat episodes, but that's not much of an ahivement. Would have worked better as a two part episode, or as a RTD style arc. What do you think?
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 12:39 PM   #322
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Emh wrote: View Post
I haven't read the rest of the thread (yet) but I loved this episode. Through and through. Easily the best Dalek episode since "Dalek" and one of Moffat's best episodes in recent time.

Some people went into this expecting a masturbatory "Every Dalek but the Kitchen Sink Dalek" overblown, nonsensical thrill ride to give RTD a run for his money. Instead I found this to be a quieter, atmospheric, more personal story, a story that the Daleks richly deserve, one which they haven't gotten since "Dalek" (or Big Finish's I, Davros).

Were all of the Daleks we've ever seen in the history of show in it? Yes, they were, but they weren't in your face "Look at us! We're all of the Daleks ever!" Instead they were just there. An asylum planet full of broken Daleks and Daleks defeated by The Doctor was the perfect way of getting away with that.

At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the idea of humanoid Daleks (I read about this appearance before I saw the episode), especially after the disaster that was "Daleks in Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks," but I found them to be effectively creepy and reasonably believable (as believable as one can be in Doctor Who).

As for the Rory/Amy conflict, I didn't like it at first because I thought it was going to be an unnecessary divide to create conflict and then have them slowly fall in love with each other in the upcoming episode. However, once Amy and Rory argued about the split and we learned what led to it, it felt a bit more natural and fit fairly well with the episode. I'm still not sure if it was necessary but I'm willing to accept it as long as we're back to Amy and Rory being a couple (but with things to work out obviously).

And now for Oswin. Simply said, I adore her. But I'm a sucker for a brunette in a red dress wearing red trainers and a utility belt. I mean, who isn't? Then you through in the dimples and the whimsical wit, you've got yourself a winning character. I'm not sure why, but she felt like a Big Finish companion. I can't give any rhyme or reason for it, but it was a random thought I had during the episode. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by her ultimate fate. I certainly didn't expect her to be properly rescued considering that we know she doesn't become a full-fledged companion until the Christmas episode. Nonetheless, I was shocked by the revelation that she was a Dalek and a shed a tear regarding her fate.

One side thought: I loved the reference to Barbara when we see The Doctor through the Dalek's eyestalk and he throws his arms all around the door frame.

One final thought (I swear!): I loved the twist of Oswin wiping the memories of The Doctor from all of the Daleks' minds. Hopefully this will play into the more low-key Doctor that was set-up the end of last season.
Yeah I think overall it was a far subtler episode than many were expecting, but I don't think that was a bad thing. I think it felt very second Doctor'y, don't know if anyone else got that vibe...helps that Jena came across somewhat Zoe like.

It's odd, when I saw the first pics of her I didn't think she was my type, and seeing her interviewed didn't fill me with hope, but actually finally seeing her in character I thought she was great, adorable and it'll be nice to have a proper genius companion again...always assuming it is her and now her great grandmother or anything!

and yeah I like the notion of the Daleks not having a clue who the Doctor is. Moffat wasn't kidding about this low profile bit...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 12:43 PM   #323
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Did the Daleks manage to exterminate anyone during this episode? I'm trying to think of an example, but I can't-- everyone dead was dead before it began!
__________________
"I don't like adventure. I'm a stay-at-home-and-read kind of guy."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 12:53 PM   #324
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Did the Daleks manage to exterminate anyone during this episode? I'm trying to think of an example, but I can't-- everyone dead was dead before it began!
I think you're right. I wonder if this is a first?
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 01:10 PM   #325
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

On a slightly different topic, we in Oz were able to see this legally about an hour after it had been shown in the UK via the ABC online viewer. In 24 hours, about 80,000 of us did so, the most ever.
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 01:14 PM   #326
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I thought Moffet managed to give the Daleks back some of their original menace....i loved the Daleks waking up and trying to say EXTERMINATE!!!.
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 01:16 PM   #327
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Australis wrote: View Post
On a slightly different topic, we in Oz were able to see this legally about an hour after it had been shown in the UK via the ABC online viewer. In 24 hours, about 80,000 of us did so, the most ever.
Wow, that's impressive, so about 10% if the normal audience number? Good on Auntie for making it available.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 01:49 PM   #328
marillion
Vice Admiral
 
marillion's Avatar
 
Location: Hangin' with Smokey Bear
View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

That was amazing.. Not much to add that hasn't been stated here already but this, THIS was the Dalek episode I've been waiting for... Great all around!!
__________________
Find a new way of life - www.marillion.com
marillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 02:27 PM   #329
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Owls have Parliaments too, I don't see the point of bitching about a Dalek Parliament
Well presumably you do because there's an obvious difference between the meaning of a parliament of owls and a parliament in this context. A mod (I assume that's what the green name indicates) calling reasonable criticism of a TV show "bitching" says a lot.
I generally call nitpicking bitching. Your complaints about the plot of the episode are valid, but this is just nitpicking. My point with the Owls is that you haven't any idea what the Dalek Parliament constitutes and neither do I.

Do me a favor. Go to the main Doctor Who page. Scroll down to moderators. Then come back here.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 03:11 PM   #330
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

The history of Who (of most sci-fi in fact) is replete with alien races using human terms/titles, but they rarely mean the same thing as they do on Earth.

The Daleks also had an Emperor, the Timelords had a President and a Castellan and a Chancellor, the Sontarans have generals and commanders…

The word parliament comes from the French parler, which means to talk or to discuss. So rather than imagine this is a Dalek Westminster, perhaps it’s just the Skaro University debating society?





(And yes I cribbed that last bit from Wikipedia…well apart from the Skaro University debating society obviously )
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.