RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,437
Posts: 5,507,332
Members: 25,132
Currently online: 528
Newest member: Fluidman

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 27 2012, 06:36 AM   #16
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

http://www.facebook.com/Odyssey.the.series
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 12:07 PM   #17
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Well, the Odyssey is about one man two galaxy; while this idea is about one fleet and two galaxy.
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 02:05 AM   #18
Mars
Captain
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

I like the scale of Star Trek just fine, having them wiz past galaxies instead of stars doesn't do anything for me.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 08:42 AM   #19
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Pardon my saying so, but our galaxy has like 400 BILLION stars in it, and there's so much there that no Trek show has ever touched. Most of it is Terra Incognita, so why send a mission millions of lightyears when you haven't really even finished exploring your own neighborhood?
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 03:51 PM   #20
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Maurice wrote: View Post
Pardon my saying so, but our galaxy has like 400 BILLION stars in it, and there's so much there that no Trek show has ever touched. Most of it is Terra Incognita, so why send a mission millions of lightyears when you haven't really even finished exploring your own neighborhood?
yes, you're right. Our galaxy has a lot (maybe 400 billion stars?) and we haven't seen them in the Trek Movie. But why should we?

What we know about the milky way galaxy in Star Trek?

Alpha Quadrant = Xindi? Federation? Cardassian?
Beta Quadrant = Vulcan, Klingon, Romulan, etc
Gamma Quadrant = Dominion
Delta Quadrant = Borg

So let see, there are still plenty stars in there, but that is not relevant for a new series. Why? Because we'll find the same things that we found in the previous Star Trek. It will become the same Star Trek with different Crew and ships.

Plus, we talk about "Trek" here, and "boldly gone where no man has gone before". if we talk about the story of Federation, Galaxy war / politic, then it's fine to go around the Milky Way again. Because Vulcan, Klingon, Romulan, Cardassia, Dominion, Borg, etc are still relevant. But, it is not about "boldly gone where no man has gone before".

But what about if we talking about a new galaxy? Well, it will become a different challenge that can tickle our curiosity. What races we will find there? What civilization? What threat? What kind of Starship that can travel across two galaxies? What kind of crews who willing to leave the safety of the known space we called Milky Way? And what kind of Space that they will find in the other Galaxy?

Everything can be new again. Fresh and empty. The creators can fill it with everything they want; even without reconsidering the previous Star Trek canon.

Plus, the usual warp drive won't do the job. The usual Star Trek technology that we know will not relevant anymore in here. The distant between galaxy, the empty space that they must cross, the new galaxy that 100% different than Milky Way Galaxy..., everything. They give us a great deal of new idea of science fiction (Science Fiction that relevant to us, the 21th century People not the science fiction that has already out of date)

And, by making it different (an expedition of several ships with one is super big / giant ship), we negate the feel of loneliness for the Ship and her crews, without negating the challenge for being far from home.

But well, if you still want the same TNG with different crews and ships, I don't know what to say
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 01:27 AM   #21
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

You're missing the point. There's nothing that says entire quadrants of the galaxy are filled with the Borg or Dominion or whatnot. You're inventing a problem that doesn't exist.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 02:35 AM   #22
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Maurice wrote: View Post
You're missing the point. There's nothing that says entire quadrants of the galaxy are filled with the Borg or Dominion or whatnot. You're inventing a problem that doesn't exist.
and why should we revisiting gamma and delta quadrant as the focus of the series again? We have already visiting gamma quadrant in DS9 and we have visit delta quadrant in Voyager. It doesn't matter if the whole quadrant has been explored or not, at least in a show; if you want to pursue "boldly gone where no men has gone before" theme. Of course, they can still explore the milky way galaxy off screen. But on screen (on TV again?) where is the novelty in it?

Unless the theme is not about exploration but about galactic war or conflict. Because you will face borg and dominion again if the story revisiting these quadrants.
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 07:22 AM   #23
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Ludicrous. That's like saying that just because a boat traveled up the Amazon it has explored all of South America, or driving I80 across the US the same as having explored North America. That's essentailly what Voyager did, and all it contacted were the states along that road, missing the bulk of the country and all the other countries on the continent.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 08:06 AM   #24
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

I understand about your point, but my point is about a story telling with the theme of "Boldly Gone Where no man has gone before", not about the exploration itself. I don't care about the exploration in gamma quadrant or delta quadrant or exploring 400 billion of planets. My point is that revisiting the same location (gamma / delta / or whatever place in Alpha Quadrant) won't give us a new Star Trek, but the same Star Trek with new actors and ships. Going to another Galaxy will refresh and expand Star Trek.

But well, it's up to you if you don't like my idea. I have already write my point here. Prolonging the debate will only make a counter productive result for both of us, because I have already explain everything here
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 09:22 PM   #25
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

If you don't care about exploration of the territory and only about going to places where no one has gone before, wouldn't that mean your proposed idea would only work for a single adventure? After the pilot they've already been in the Andromeda galaxy, using your logic it's now boring, humanity has already been there.

You're wrong btw, going to a new galaxy will not refresh Star Trek, what will refresh Star Trek is good writing and good ideas and there's nothing they can do on another galaxy they can't do in our own. The gamma and delta quadrants are almost completely unexplored, we don't know much about the beta quadrant and even the alpha quadrant has large unexplored parts.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 04:15 AM   #26
jgalley
Lieutenant
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

This won't work honestly. and wouldn't last if they tried.

fact is there is not enough trek fans to sustain a series on their own....it needs to entice people in general......

Andromeda would be to out-of-place for the average viewer..they'd be disconnected because the show isn't even in OUR galaxy anymore.

not to mention I don't think jumping that far forward is a good idea...the tech in TNG/DS9/Voy era got a little crazy to begin with.....so how would they be able to come up with anything believable to be a threat? The tech would just be too crazy. Having them out-matched tech-wise got old in Enterprise..so it certainly wouldn't work here either..

being set in the andromeda galaxy MIGHT be interesting to existing trek fans...but personally I don't like the idea of a giant station-ship that relies on other things to protect it..too much going on. And many would look at it as "This is stupid, the station-ship is boring..I want to see what <destroyer a>'s crew is doing and is like..forget the lame station..it can't even defend itself"

if we have a trek set in the future I don't think it should be (personally) too long after TNG....just enough to have all new crew/etc but not so far ahead in tech that it's silly.

regardless your idea, flawed or not, just wont' work for average viewers...which is what the majority has to be for a series to stick around and work.


plus..as said..the main problem was the writing..not the setting
jgalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 05:05 AM   #27
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Brainsucker wrote: View Post
But well, it's up to you if you don't like my idea. I have already write my point here. Prolonging the debate will only make a counter productive result for both of us, because I have already explain everything here
You explanation doesn't matter because your concept is in itself flawed.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 08:52 AM   #28
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Maurice wrote: View Post
Brainsucker wrote: View Post
But well, it's up to you if you don't like my idea. I have already write my point here. Prolonging the debate will only make a counter productive result for both of us, because I have already explain everything here
You explanation doesn't matter because your concept is in itself flawed.
Well, flawed or not, it's all depend to individual perspective. Plus, flawed concept can be repaired, but repeating concept has no novelty in it.

Takeru wrote: View Post
If you don't care about exploration of the territory and only about going to places where no one has gone before, wouldn't that mean your proposed idea would only work for a single adventure? After the pilot they've already been in the Andromeda galaxy, using your logic it's now boring, humanity has already been there.

You're wrong btw, going to a new galaxy will not refresh Star Trek, what will refresh Star Trek is good writing and good ideas and there's nothing they can do on another galaxy they can't do in our own. The gamma and delta quadrants are almost completely unexplored, we don't know much about the beta quadrant and even the alpha quadrant has large unexplored parts.
I agree that good writing and good idea are the one the can refresh Star Trek. But it's not enough, unless you're talking about a novel. There are other things like the screen play, directing, acting, etc that also influence the story. But look at what our discussion here. We are talking about the idea, not about writing, screenplay, directing, acting, etc. I'm not writing a script or novel here, just throw an idea. And like any idea out there, flawed idea can be repaired. But, refusing a new idea is a different matter.

and about the logic, I think we talk about the setting of a new series, not a new episode. So I don't think that my logic is flawed. Unless... well, you can't understand what I was writing completely (because my English is suck and hard to be understood by readers), so forgive me for my flawed writing skill if that it. Nevertheless I'm rarely use English in my RL.

jgalley wrote: View Post
This won't work honestly. and wouldn't last if they tried.

fact is there is not enough trek fans to sustain a series on their own....it needs to entice people in general......

Andromeda would be to out-of-place for the average viewer..they'd be disconnected because the show isn't even in OUR galaxy anymore.

not to mention I don't think jumping that far forward is a good idea...the tech in TNG/DS9/Voy era got a little crazy to begin with.....so how would they be able to come up with anything believable to be a threat? The tech would just be too crazy. Having them out-matched tech-wise got old in Enterprise..so it certainly wouldn't work here either..

being set in the andromeda galaxy MIGHT be interesting to existing trek fans...but personally I don't like the idea of a giant station-ship that relies on other things to protect it..too much going on. And many would look at it as "This is stupid, the station-ship is boring..I want to see what <destroyer a>'s crew is doing and is like..forget the lame station..it can't even defend itself"

if we have a trek set in the future I don't think it should be (personally) too long after TNG....just enough to have all new crew/etc but not so far ahead in tech that it's silly.

regardless your idea, flawed or not, just wont' work for average viewers...which is what the majority has to be for a series to stick around and work.

plus..as said..the main problem was the writing..not the setting
I got your point, and I like your comment.

About the big station ship idea is actually come from the US CVN (Carrier) and their Carrier Task Force. But because there are already Battlestar Galactica with space fighters, I think it is not a bad idea to change it with bigger role, a station ship that can be docked by an escort or light cruiser type star ships. But maybe you prefer "Galleon / Frigate / Ship of the line" concept rather than the modern navy concept. Well, everyone have their own preference.

================================================== ===============================================
Ok, now I understand. Star Trek is not about exploring the galaxy, or meeting new Alien, boldly gone where no man has gone before. But Star Trek is about a big ship (well 15th - 18th centuries ships in space) with captain and her bridge crews, cruising around the stars and meet Klingon, Romulan, Vulcan and another existing factions. So, why are you refusing "Galactic War / Galactic Political Turmoil" ideas and insist that Star Trek is about "Trek" ?

Last edited by Brainsucker; September 7 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2012, 11:53 AM   #29
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Brainsucker wrote: View Post
Ok, now I understand. Star Trek is not about exploring the galaxy, or meeting new Alien, boldly gone where no man has gone before. But Star Trek is about a big ship (well 15th - 18th centuries ships in space) with captain and her bridge crews, cruising around the stars and meet Klingon, Romulan, Vulcan and another existing factions. So, why are you refusing "Galactic War / Galactic Political Turmoil" ideas and insist that Star Trek is about "Trek" ?
Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. It's five-year/continuing mission, to seek out new life and new civilisations. To boldly go where no man/one has gone before.

If that doesn't mean a mission of exploration, I don't know what does. Trek is about making contact with other races and studying new anomalies, whilst also understanding what it is to be human/sentient. Its as much about the individual discovering themselves as it is the ship discovering new things.

The different series all had a different spin on it, but they were all exploring somewhere new:
TOS - set the standard
TNG - continued it in a grander scale
DS9 - explored the GQ as well as the politics of a single region that they helped shape
VOY - journeyed home across uncharted territory
ENT - mankinds first mission into deep space

The battles and danger they faced were all there to tell stories and put people that we know and care about into extreme situations, so we can see how they conquer them.

Setting it all the way out in another galaxy seems unnecesary, as well as short-sighted IMHO. Unless it was set a century or two in the future, when things are nice and stable in our galaxy adn the UFP has expanded out and routinely travels to the Gamma and Delta Quadrants. Once that was done, then they could spare two or three fleets to better explore Andromeda, as well as ensure the safety and security of their assets in such a remote and unknown galaxy.

There are still plenty of uncharted regions in the Milkyway that could be used for the next series, or better yet, show the hardships of recovering from such a costly war--the true hardwork and sacrifice needed to make the peace work.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:01 AM   #30
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: (Idea) Interprise goes Andromeda!

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Brainsucker wrote: View Post
Ok, now I understand. Star Trek is not about exploring the galaxy, or meeting new Alien, boldly gone where no man has gone before. But Star Trek is about a big ship (well 15th - 18th centuries ships in space) with captain and her bridge crews, cruising around the stars and meet Klingon, Romulan, Vulcan and another existing factions. So, why are you refusing "Galactic War / Galactic Political Turmoil" ideas and insist that Star Trek is about "Trek" ?
Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. It's five-year/continuing mission, to seek out new life and new civilisations. To boldly go where no man/one has gone before.

If that doesn't mean a mission of exploration, I don't know what does. Trek is about making contact with other races and studying new anomalies, whilst also understanding what it is to be human/sentient. Its as much about the individual discovering themselves as it is the ship discovering new things.

The different series all had a different spin on it, but they were all exploring somewhere new:
TOS - set the standard
TNG - continued it in a grander scale
DS9 - explored the GQ as well as the politics of a single region that they helped shape
VOY - journeyed home across uncharted territory
ENT - mankinds first mission into deep space

The battles and danger they faced were all there to tell stories and put people that we know and care about into extreme situations, so we can see how they conquer them.

Setting it all the way out in another galaxy seems unnecesary, as well as short-sighted IMHO. Unless it was set a century or two in the future, when things are nice and stable in our galaxy adn the UFP has expanded out and routinely travels to the Gamma and Delta Quadrants. Once that was done, then they could spare two or three fleets to better explore Andromeda, as well as ensure the safety and security of their assets in such a remote and unknown galaxy.

There are still plenty of uncharted regions in the Milkyway that could be used for the next series, or better yet, show the hardships of recovering from such a costly war--the true hardwork and sacrifice needed to make the peace work.
Then why not jump to the 25th century? It is not necessarily stuck in the 24th century. We can always step forward to the next century.

If you think that the technological advancement / idea will becomes crazy and not control-able / believe-able, then don't worry. Because our RL technological advancement is also crazy and not believe-able if you think that from the eyes of 1980 people. At least, Kirk and Picard nevers know Android

Plus, the 23rd and 24th century Star Trek technology are no longer "WOW" anymore today. Unless you want to reboot it in order to match the RL 21th Century technology.
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.