RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,910
Posts: 5,388,151
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 538
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 1 2012, 08:53 PM   #271
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
...six-sigma...
Ugh! Two words I had hoped to never hear again once I left the corporate world.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 10:09 PM   #272
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

BillJ wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
...six-sigma...
Ugh! Two words I had hoped to never hear again once I left the corporate world.
Sorry, meant it more in the purely mathematical sense, not the corporate doctrine (certainly not the trademark of Motorola). I'm not really talking about the manufacturing of the discs anyway... I was referring more to the proposal to crowd-source (i.e. using the fans) to spot any visual or auditory blunders that might slip through the cracks before disc replication even begins.

If the TrekCore DVD screencaps are a good representation of how many total shots there are in TNG (57,361 images), then 6 standard deviations is certainly overkill (1 defect in 506,797,346) -- 4.5 would be enough (1 defect in 147,160).
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 10:27 PM   #273
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

My replacements arrived to day. Just to be clear, discs 1,3,4 & 5, right?

And I hope nothing is wrong with any of these, I don't plan another re-watch for a while.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 03:39 AM   #274
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

A poster over at Blu-ray.com has noticed a new problem with the DD 2.0 audio on "Encounter at Farpoint."

I just checked my discs as well and I can essentially corroborate what he's saying. The DD 2.0 track of "Encounter at Farpoint" is stereo, but no longer encoded for Dolby Surround, and thus the various Dolby Pro Logic decode settings (PL, PLII, PLIIX, etc.) do not function. "The Naked Now" is also affected, but it appears that it NEVER WAS encoded for Dolby Surround, as "The Naked Now" on my original disc one also has non-existent surround information... or at least it is incredibly faint. When I disconnect my center channel speaker, I can just barely hear sound coming from the other speakers... but I have to put my ear directly against the speaker to hear it -- so as far as I'm concerned, it's non-existent.

"Farpoint" was fine on the original disc one (except for the delay issue!)... but now it seems after trying to correct the delay issues, they caused another problem.

So again, hang onto the Next Level sampler disc, as it still contains the definitive version of the pilot.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 04:09 AM   #275
Andy_H
Cadet
 
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Can anyone confirm they received their disks in the US only by using email (i.e., you never called the hotline)?
Confirmed. I e-mailed them about July 30 asking what I needed to do to get discs. On August 1 they e-mailed me telling me to send my name, address, and the code from the inner ring of the BD. I replied to their e-mail with the information on August 1.

Today is September 1 and my replacement discs came in the mail today. I live near Chicago, IL.
Andy_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 05:31 AM   #276
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
So, if someone were to buy the bluray set for the first time, from say, amazon, would it be safe to assume that they would receive the corrected version right off the bat? Or would it be a gamble? I really don't want to go through this whole exchanging faulty discs thing if it can be avoided.
Asking again since nobody answered. I guess maybe nobody knows. Has there not be any official word on this? Would I just have to e-mail whatever retailer I use ahead of time to make sure I get the corrected versions the first time?
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 05:39 AM   #277
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

BillJ wrote: View Post
Discs were in the mail today, along with a neat little card of the drawing they used in the credits.
Got mine today.

They sent me 2 disc ones, and a disc 3,4,5

-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 07:42 AM   #278
Scotty
Rear Admiral
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, Holland
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
A poster over at Blu-ray.com has noticed a new problem with the DD 2.0 audio on "Encounter at Farpoint."

I just checked my discs as well and I can essentially corroborate what he's saying. The DD 2.0 track of "Encounter at Farpoint" is stereo, but no longer encoded for Dolby Surround, and thus the various Dolby Pro Logic decode settings (PL, PLII, PLIIX, etc.) do not function. "The Naked Now" is also affected, but it appears that it NEVER WAS encoded for Dolby Surround, as "The Naked Now" on my original disc one also has non-existent surround information... or at least it is incredibly faint. When I disconnect my center channel speaker, I can just barely hear sound coming from the other speakers... but I have to put my ear directly against the speaker to hear it -- so as far as I'm concerned, it's non-existent.

"Farpoint" was fine on the original disc one (except for the delay issue!)... but now it seems after trying to correct the delay issues, they caused another problem.

So again, hang onto the Next Level sampler disc, as it still contains the definitive version of the pilot.
I'm sorry but people are getting too nitpicky now. A DD2.0 track should be stereo, and you should only be using two speakers while listening to it. If the original poster wants surround sound,, he should switch to the 7.1 track.
__________________
"No bla bla bla!" - Captain James T. Kirk
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 08:58 AM   #279
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Scotty wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
A poster over at Blu-ray.com has noticed a new problem with the DD 2.0 audio on "Encounter at Farpoint."

I just checked my discs as well and I can essentially corroborate what he's saying. The DD 2.0 track of "Encounter at Farpoint" is stereo, but no longer encoded for Dolby Surround, and thus the various Dolby Pro Logic decode settings (PL, PLII, PLIIX, etc.) do not function. "The Naked Now" is also affected, but it appears that it NEVER WAS encoded for Dolby Surround, as "The Naked Now" on my original disc one also has non-existent surround information... or at least it is incredibly faint. When I disconnect my center channel speaker, I can just barely hear sound coming from the other speakers... but I have to put my ear directly against the speaker to hear it -- so as far as I'm concerned, it's non-existent.

"Farpoint" was fine on the original disc one (except for the delay issue!)... but now it seems after trying to correct the delay issues, they caused another problem.

So again, hang onto the Next Level sampler disc, as it still contains the definitive version of the pilot.
I'm sorry but people are getting too nitpicky now. A DD2.0 track should be stereo, and you should only be using two speakers while listening to it. If the original poster wants surround sound,, he should switch to the 7.1 track.
You can label it as nitpicky -- but the fact remains that the episode had matrix-encoded sound on the 2.0 track on the Next Level sampler AND the original (first release) disc one... and now it doesn't.

"Dolby Surround/Pro Logic is based on basic matrix technology. When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is created, four channels of sound are matrix-encoded into an ordinary stereo (two channel) sound track. The centre channel is encoded by placing it equally in the left and right channels; the rear channel is encoded using phase shift techniques, typically an out of phase stereo mixdown. A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range (7 kHz low-pass filtered[1]) mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder play back the audio as standard stereo."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 02:12 PM   #280
tomswift2002
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

If you recall on the 2002 DVD releases Seasons 1-3 only had a 2.0 stereo mix for the original audio. It wasn't till Season 4 that the original audio started to get mixed for Dolby 2.0 Surround. And it makes sense, since in the 80's not too many stations were broadcasting in stereo, let alone stereo surround, and most TV sets of the time were mono, but then the early 90's saw a number of stations start to broadcast in stereo and stereo surround (which is the same as theatrical stereo).
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 10:49 PM   #281
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Fair enough... and I need to correct part of what I said above. The secondary audio on the Next Level sampler was DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, not Dolby Digital 2.0.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 12:32 PM   #282
tomswift2002
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Fair enough... and I need to correct part of what I said above. The secondary audio on the Next Level sampler was DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, not Dolby Digital 2.0.

I really hate when studios use DTS-HD Master Audio for a 2.0 track (whether it's stereo or surround) because it always gives a weird audio when it gets processed for surround. (If you're familiar with Shout Factory's Volume 2 release for the animated series "COPS" from the 80's then you've probably seen the episode 'Mace's Romance' and how the mono audio was not mixed properly, so when it was played through surround systems, instead of the audio coming through the center speaker, everything was very echoey and was coming out of all the speakers. )
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 05:11 PM   #283
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

^ I don't know if it's the same, but the DVD for Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (movie) had the most awful sounding audio I ever heard, no matter what audio channel I tried.

Way too much sound effects & hardly any dialogue.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 08:19 PM   #284
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
So, if someone were to buy the bluray set for the first time, from say, amazon, would it be safe to assume that they would receive the corrected version right off the bat? Or would it be a gamble? I really don't want to go through this whole exchanging faulty discs thing if it can be avoided.
Asking again since nobody answered. I guess maybe nobody knows. Has there not be any official word on this? Would I just have to e-mail whatever retailer I use ahead of time to make sure I get the corrected versions the first time?
Where are you posting from?

I am in the UK and Amazon had a notice up for several weeks telling us there was a fault on the discs and they were awaiting replacements. That notice has now been taken down, and people are reporting having received the corrected discs. So I assume the replacements have arrived. I have put my order in but it will be a couple of weeks before they arrive. If they're the faulty discs (which I very much doubt) they'll be getting returned.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 01:23 AM   #285
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

MikeS wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
So, if someone were to buy the bluray set for the first time, from say, amazon, would it be safe to assume that they would receive the corrected version right off the bat? Or would it be a gamble? I really don't want to go through this whole exchanging faulty discs thing if it can be avoided.
Asking again since nobody answered. I guess maybe nobody knows. Has there not be any official word on this? Would I just have to e-mail whatever retailer I use ahead of time to make sure I get the corrected versions the first time?
Where are you posting from?

I am in the UK and Amazon had a notice up for several weeks telling us there was a fault on the discs and they were awaiting replacements. That notice has now been taken down, and people are reporting having received the corrected discs. So I assume the replacements have arrived. I have put my order in but it will be a couple of weeks before they arrive. If they're the faulty discs (which I very much doubt) they'll be getting returned.

Thats helpful info, thank you. I'm in the US but also use amazon so its probably the same. Oh well worst case scenario I gotta jump through hoops. Let us know if you receive he
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.