Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 1 2012, 08:53 PM   #271
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
...six-sigma...
Ugh! Two words I had hoped to never hear again once I left the corporate world.
Old September 1 2012, 10:09 PM   #272
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
...six-sigma...
Ugh! Two words I had hoped to never hear again once I left the corporate world.
Sorry, meant it more in the purely mathematical sense, not the corporate doctrine (certainly not the trademark of Motorola). I'm not really talking about the manufacturing of the discs anyway... I was referring more to the proposal to crowd-source (i.e. using the fans) to spot any visual or auditory blunders that might slip through the cracks before disc replication even begins.

If the TrekCore DVD screencaps are a good representation of how many total shots there are in TNG (57,361 images), then 6 standard deviations is certainly overkill (1 defect in 506,797,346) -- 4.5 would be enough (1 defect in 147,160).
Old September 1 2012, 10:27 PM   #273
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

My replacements arrived to day. Just to be clear, discs 1,3,4 & 5, right?

And I hope nothing is wrong with any of these, I don't plan another re-watch for a while.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 03:39 AM   #274
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

A poster over at Blu-ray.com has noticed a new problem with the DD 2.0 audio on "Encounter at Farpoint."

I just checked my discs as well and I can essentially corroborate what he's saying. The DD 2.0 track of "Encounter at Farpoint" is stereo, but no longer encoded for Dolby Surround, and thus the various Dolby Pro Logic decode settings (PL, PLII, PLIIX, etc.) do not function. "The Naked Now" is also affected, but it appears that it NEVER WAS encoded for Dolby Surround, as "The Naked Now" on my original disc one also has non-existent surround information... or at least it is incredibly faint. When I disconnect my center channel speaker, I can just barely hear sound coming from the other speakers... but I have to put my ear directly against the speaker to hear it -- so as far as I'm concerned, it's non-existent.

"Farpoint" was fine on the original disc one (except for the delay issue!)... but now it seems after trying to correct the delay issues, they caused another problem.

So again, hang onto the Next Level sampler disc, as it still contains the definitive version of the pilot.
Old September 2 2012, 04:09 AM   #275
Andy_H
Cadet

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Can anyone confirm they received their disks in the US only by using email (i.e., you never called the hotline)?
Confirmed. I e-mailed them about July 30 asking what I needed to do to get discs. On August 1 they e-mailed me telling me to send my name, address, and the code from the inner ring of the BD. I replied to their e-mail with the information on August 1.

Today is September 1 and my replacement discs came in the mail today. I live near Chicago, IL.
Andy_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 05:31 AM   #276
Mr_Homn
Captain

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
So, if someone were to buy the bluray set for the first time, from say, amazon, would it be safe to assume that they would receive the corrected version right off the bat? Or would it be a gamble? I really don't want to go through this whole exchanging faulty discs thing if it can be avoided.
Asking again since nobody answered. I guess maybe nobody knows. Has there not be any official word on this? Would I just have to e-mail whatever retailer I use ahead of time to make sure I get the corrected versions the first time?
Old September 2 2012, 05:39 AM   #277
cbspock
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Discs were in the mail today, along with a neat little card of the drawing they used in the credits.
Got mine today.

They sent me 2 disc ones, and a disc 3,4,5

-Chris
Old September 2 2012, 07:42 AM   #278
Scotty
Rear Admiral

A poster over at Blu-ray.com has noticed a new problem with the DD 2.0 audio on "Encounter at Farpoint."

I just checked my discs as well and I can essentially corroborate what he's saying. The DD 2.0 track of "Encounter at Farpoint" is stereo, but no longer encoded for Dolby Surround, and thus the various Dolby Pro Logic decode settings (PL, PLII, PLIIX, etc.) do not function. "The Naked Now" is also affected, but it appears that it NEVER WAS encoded for Dolby Surround, as "The Naked Now" on my original disc one also has non-existent surround information... or at least it is incredibly faint. When I disconnect my center channel speaker, I can just barely hear sound coming from the other speakers... but I have to put my ear directly against the speaker to hear it -- so as far as I'm concerned, it's non-existent.

"Farpoint" was fine on the original disc one (except for the delay issue!)... but now it seems after trying to correct the delay issues, they caused another problem.

So again, hang onto the Next Level sampler disc, as it still contains the definitive version of the pilot.
I'm sorry but people are getting too nitpicky now. A DD2.0 track should be stereo, and you should only be using two speakers while listening to it. If the original poster wants surround sound,, he should switch to the 7.1 track.
Old September 2 2012, 08:58 AM   #279
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Scotty wrote: View Post

I'm sorry but people are getting too nitpicky now. A DD2.0 track should be stereo, and you should only be using two speakers while listening to it. If the original poster wants surround sound,, he should switch to the 7.1 track.
You can label it as nitpicky -- but the fact remains that the episode had matrix-encoded sound on the 2.0 track on the Next Level sampler AND the original (first release) disc one... and now it doesn't.

"Dolby Surround/Pro Logic is based on basic matrix technology. When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is created, four channels of sound are matrix-encoded into an ordinary stereo (two channel) sound track. The centre channel is encoded by placing it equally in the left and right channels; the rear channel is encoded using phase shift techniques, typically an out of phase stereo mixdown. A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range (7 kHz low-pass filtered[1]) mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder play back the audio as standard stereo."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
Old September 2 2012, 02:12 PM   #280
tomswift2002
Captain

If you recall on the 2002 DVD releases Seasons 1-3 only had a 2.0 stereo mix for the original audio. It wasn't till Season 4 that the original audio started to get mixed for Dolby 2.0 Surround. And it makes sense, since in the 80's not too many stations were broadcasting in stereo, let alone stereo surround, and most TV sets of the time were mono, but then the early 90's saw a number of stations start to broadcast in stereo and stereo surround (which is the same as theatrical stereo).
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 10:49 PM   #281
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Fair enough... and I need to correct part of what I said above. The secondary audio on the Next Level sampler was DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, not Dolby Digital 2.0.
Old September 3 2012, 12:32 PM   #282
tomswift2002
Captain

Fair enough... and I need to correct part of what I said above. The secondary audio on the Next Level sampler was DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, not Dolby Digital 2.0.

I really hate when studios use DTS-HD Master Audio for a 2.0 track (whether it's stereo or surround) because it always gives a weird audio when it gets processed for surround. (If you're familiar with Shout Factory's Volume 2 release for the animated series "COPS" from the 80's then you've probably seen the episode 'Mace's Romance' and how the mono audio was not mixed properly, so when it was played through surround systems, instead of the audio coming through the center speaker, everything was very echoey and was coming out of all the speakers. )
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 05:11 PM   #283
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ I don't know if it's the same, but the DVD for Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (movie) had the most awful sounding audio I ever heard, no matter what audio channel I tried.

Way too much sound effects & hardly any dialogue.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 08:19 PM   #284
MikeS
Fleet Captain

So, if someone were to buy the bluray set for the first time, from say, amazon, would it be safe to assume that they would receive the corrected version right off the bat? Or would it be a gamble? I really don't want to go through this whole exchanging faulty discs thing if it can be avoided.
Asking again since nobody answered. I guess maybe nobody knows. Has there not be any official word on this? Would I just have to e-mail whatever retailer I use ahead of time to make sure I get the corrected versions the first time?
Where are you posting from?

I am in the UK and Amazon had a notice up for several weeks telling us there was a fault on the discs and they were awaiting replacements. That notice has now been taken down, and people are reporting having received the corrected discs. So I assume the replacements have arrived. I have put my order in but it will be a couple of weeks before they arrive. If they're the faulty discs (which I very much doubt) they'll be getting returned.
Old September 4 2012, 01:23 AM   #285
Mr_Homn
Captain

MikeS wrote: View Post
Where are you posting from?

I am in the UK and Amazon had a notice up for several weeks telling us there was a fault on the discs and they were awaiting replacements. That notice has now been taken down, and people are reporting having received the corrected discs. So I assume the replacements have arrived. I have put my order in but it will be a couple of weeks before they arrive. If they're the faulty discs (which I very much doubt) they'll be getting returned.

Thats helpful info, thank you. I'm in the US but also use amazon so its probably the same. Oh well worst case scenario I gotta jump through hoops. Let us know if you receive he