New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 2 2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Why didn't Val Kilmer return for Batman & Robin?

Whenever I watch the original four Batman movies, I get a little whiplash going from Burton's first two movies to Schumacher two toytastic Batmans. One of the major reasons for that is that the part of Batman/Bruce was once again recast and given to a new actor.

Kilmer did a decent if unremarkable job in Forever.

Do you think Kilmer could have done better than George Clooney if he had kept his job?

Would Batman & Robin been better or do you think it would have still sucked?

George Clooney On Batman And Robin "It Was A Difficult Film To Be Good In”
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Why didn't Val Kilmer return for Batman & Robin?

I believe he left to do "The Saint".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Pretending to make out with Elizabeth Shue, or pretending to make out with Uma Thurman... tough choice. Although, maybe he thought that he would have to pretend to make out with Nicole Kidman again and she wasn't entirely his cup of tea.

(Idiot.)

Though Schumacher was a dick not to lock Val into a multi picture deal, unless he wasn't allowed to do that after they probably had to buy Burton out of his "contract" or at the least pay him to wander off with out causing property damage.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Supposedly he was very difficult to work with during Forever. Shumacher frequently butted heads with him.

I actually read an interview with Shumacher - who, it must be said, comes across as a very nice man, whatever you think of his films - in which he said in all sincerity that Kilmer was clearly a very disturbed individual who needed help. I've also heard him say:

He was being irrational and ballistic with the first assistant director, the cameraman, the costume people," Schumacher told Entertainment Weekly. "He was rude and inappropriate. He was childish and impossible. I was forced to tell him that this would not be tolerated for one more second. Then we had two weeks where he did not speak to me but it was bliss!"
http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow...vdirectors/18/

Certainly, around the same time, The Island of Doctor Moreau, in which Kilmer also appeared, led to numerous stories about what a nightmare he was on set, so Shumacher may have had some point here. Indeed, it was Shumacher who personally cast Kilmer in Batman Forever.
Old September 2 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Dream wrote: View Post
He saw "Batman Forever."

He read the "B&R" script.

Do you think Kilmer could have done better than George Clooney if he had kept his job?
No. In Forever Kilmer had all the screen presence of drywall. I'm pretty sure he was given six Valium at the beginning of the day and then filming took place while he was sleepwalking.

For all of the problems "B&R" had, Clooney wasn't one of them. I'd argue he was the best thing about that movie because he was the most believable as Bruce Wayne b/millionaire playboy. He gets a lot of shit over the movie but, really, he had nothing to work with. If it was a much better script I think he could have really pulled it off.

Kilmer? It's easy to forget he's even in the movie even when watching a scene with him in it. When he's in the Riddler Booth "dreaming" bout bats? It's hard to tell the difference between that scene and every other scene he's in during the movie.

Kilmer sucked is what I'm getting at.
Old September 2 2012, 11:52 AM   #6
The Badger
Fleet Captain

He stated that he quit because he was unhappy that the role of Batman was being increasingly over shadowed by the bad guys and sidekicks. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,291605,00.html

It's also been claimed that whilst on the set of Heat one of his co-stars (either Al Pacino or Robert de Niro, I can't remember which) ribbed him mercilessly for appearing in a comic book, kids movie.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I heard that he stayed in character as Jim Morrison for two years after the movie wrapped.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Saul
Rear Admiral

I believe Jim Carrey mentioned in an interview that Kilmer wasn't that happy on set.
I liked his Batman over George Clooney who I felt was playing George Clooney and not Bruce Wayne.
Old September 2 2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

His Bat-Flop Detector.

The Badger wrote:
It's also been claimed that whilst on the set of Heat one of his co-stars (either Al Pacino or Robert de Niro, I can't remember which) ribbed him mercilessly for appearing in a comic book, kids movie.
Given Dick Tracy, I would hope it was De Niro.
Old September 2 2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The Badger wrote: View Post
He stated that he quit because he was unhappy that the role of Batman was being increasingly over shadowed by the bad guys and sidekicks. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,291605,00.html

That was a rough time for comic book movies. High brow actors frowned on it.

Only those actors that didn't mind doing a "silly comic book" movie would sign up.

Now it's different with comic book movies getting Oscar nominations
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
The Badger wrote: View Post

That was a rough time for comic book movies. High brow actors frowned on it.

Only those actors that didn't mind doing a "silly comic book" movie would sign up.

Now it's different with comic book movies getting Oscar nominations
I think that argument is somewhat difficult to accept. In Superman the Movie, you had Marlon Brando (double Oscar winner, widely regarded as one of the greatest actors of all time), Gene Hackman (already an Oscar winner for The French Connection, would later win another for Unforgiven) and Terence Stamp.

In Batman, you had Jack Nicholson (already two Oscars to his name, more to follow) and Jack Palance, screen legend. Christopher Walken (winner for The Deerhunter) and Michelle Pfeiffer (multiple Oscar nominee). There was lots of talk about Oscar nominations for Nicholson and Pfeiffer in those years, though ultimately neither was nominated. Batman Forever cast Tommy Lee Jones just after he won for The Fugitive.

Dick Tracy had Warren Beatty, James Caan, Pacino (who got an Oscar nomination for his role), Mandy Patinkin and Dustin Hoffman.

Even a movie like The Shadow could cast Ian McKellen (long before X-Men or Lord of the Rings) and Tim Curry and the great Patrick McGoohan made a rare but welcome big screen appearance in The Phantom.
Old September 2 2012, 11:43 PM   #12
Dream
Admiral

Don't forget the actor that won an Oscar for playing the sad Clown.
Old September 3 2012, 05:28 AM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Even a movie like The Shadow could cast Ian McKellen (long before X-Men or Lord of the Rings) and Tim Curry and the great Patrick McGoohan made a rare but welcome big screen appearance in The Phantom.
And Faye Dunaway and Peter O'Toole (!) both appeared in Supergirl!
Old September 3 2012, 05:37 AM   #14
Dream
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And Faye Dunaway and Peter O'Toole (!) both appeared in Supergirl!
No, let's pretend that Supergirl never happened.
Old September 3 2012, 12:08 PM   #15
The Badger
Fleet Captain

...I think that argument is somewhat difficult to accept...
Fair enough. I'm going from one reference I half remember hearing from years ago, it's entirely plausible I got it wrong.

Dream wrote: View Post
No, let's pretend that Supergirl never happened.
I'd rather pretend that Supergirl did happen, with a decent script and good direction, and was a success with three sequels. But I have a weakness for cute blondes in miniskirts, so that's just me.

Peter Cook wasn't in this version though. Brilliant satirist, not so hot as an actor. IMO
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote