RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,702
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 743
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 27 2012, 04:39 PM   #886
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Ship Polaris

My only suggestion with the nicks and scratches is that you scale them down a bit. Their scale didn't seem to fit with the established size of the Polaris.
Old August 27 2012, 04:42 PM   #887
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I don't know. When you consider the things most likely to cause nicks and scratches to a starship, I would think most of them would tend to be of a significant size.
Old August 27 2012, 06:58 PM   #888
reanimatedfish
Lieutenant Commander

View reanimatedfish's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to reanimatedfish

I used to think that too. But in space, your more likely to be killed by a cloud of gravel or dust than anything the size of a building.

I've got to say, the ship looks better every time I see it.
Old August 27 2012, 07:42 PM   #889
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Dust and gravel would not leave visible nicks and scratches at all. Maybe some fading or discoloration along the forward-facing surfaces. Nicks and scratches visible from these distances are more likely to be caused by EVA pod collisions, docking mishaps, or the occasional chunk of orbital debris. That's why, after thinking it through, I've decided the nicks and scratches currently shown are excessive. They need to be minimized and concentrated in places where such wear and tear is most likely to occur, i.e. around the EVA pod hatches, the rims of the lander bays, and the edges of certain hull plates.
Old August 28 2012, 12:02 AM   #890
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Looks great!

Next month = September?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 01:25 AM   #891
Vektor
Rear Admiral

First part of September, yes. Maybe as early as next week.
Old August 28 2012, 01:48 AM   #892
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Wow!

I like the blasted surface of the lander. The scratches don't strike me as off-scale, but other than those on the orange stripe they might show a little gouging and dirt.
Old September 3 2012, 05:02 AM   #893
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Well, it seems unlikely at the moment that I'm going to be finished this coming week after all. I was back in the emergency room on Thursday and my health problems seem to have taken a turn for the worse. Still don't know exactly what's going on but I have more tests scheduled in the next few days. Prayers, well wishes, good vibes or whatever else you might be willing to send my way would be much appreciated.

In the mean time, I'm considering my options on Polaris. If my situation doesn't improve in another week or so, I may wind up sending the model to Dennis as-is. I'd really like to finish it myself but I frankly have bigger things to worry about at the moment.

Should have more to report by Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old September 3 2012, 05:18 AM   #894
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

This news sucks, Vektor. I've polarized the vibe emitter to maximum good and oriented it on you and yours. I'd tell you to get better, but you're already the best, so get well fast!

-Psion
Old September 3 2012, 10:28 AM   #895
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I like the blasted surface of the lander.
My first impression of this was that there is a paradigm mismatch, due to the hexagonal tiles. How much scorching would be visible, before the tiles should fall off, like the Space Shuttle's, or need to be replaced? Or, on the other hand, maybe they aren't hexagonal tiles after all, but perhaps hexagon structures in ablative shielding otherwise similar to the Apollo capsule.

---

Vektor, I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Your work here is extremely impressive, and I'm grateful that you've been open to feedback. Here's some good vibes for your recovery!
Old September 3 2012, 08:19 PM   #896
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Get well soon Vektor.
Old September 4 2012, 05:45 AM   #897
largo
Fleet Captain

send ALL the well wishes!
Old September 4 2012, 06:00 AM   #898
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Had a much better day today. An old friend of mine happened to come over from Seattle for the holiday weekend and it really helped to take my mind off things. I think I'm also starting to get a handle on some of the stomach-related issues that I suspect are the at the root of most of these problems I've been having.

Anyway, I actually managed to get a little work done on Polaris, a couple of hours' worth at least...

I know it's not much, but I consider it a fairly major accomplishment under the circumstances.

Gonna be tied up with work-related stuff for at least the next couple of days and then more doctor appointments on Thursday and Friday, but I'll keep plugging away at it when I can.
Old September 4 2012, 06:22 AM   #899
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Tell the truth, it's all those microwave burritos you've been eating isn't it?
Old September 4 2012, 03:58 PM   #900
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Vektor wrote: View Post
In the mean time, I'm considering my options on Polaris. If my situation doesn't improve in another week or so, I may wind up sending the model to Dennis as-is. I'd really like to finish it myself but I frankly have bigger things to worry about at the moment.
Jason, obviously put whatever you need to do to take care of yourself first. We're grateful for all the work you've done on this, and if you need to let go of it at this point the project's clearly in really good shape.

Thanks, man.