Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old September 2 2012, 04:57 PM   #136
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: No News, No Nothing!!

Abrams should really learn a thing or two from Peter Jackson. Those video blogs of his are huge in social media, and have been steadily building up hype since they first appeared.

Meanwhile, J.J.'s secretive bullshit managed to almost completely erase Star Trek from the public mind.

For fuck sake, ST XII is less than nine months away, and there's virtually NO Internet buzz whatsoever. Not a single piece of promotional material, let alone a teaser. I can't believe Paramount is letting him do this.

This shit could actually end up hurting the movie.
Old September 2 2012, 05:05 PM   #137
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I'll repeat what I said above- JJ's "secretive bullshit" really screwed up the previous movie, and this was at a time where Star Trek was already virtually non-existant in the public eye.

Let's be honest here- no one's really concerned about about the movie being seriously hurt... we've all just got our knickers in a twist because we don't have anything to talk about.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old September 2 2012, 05:25 PM   #138
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

It won't make a blind bit of difference to the popularity of the movie because the vast majority of the people who will go to see it will only be interested in what's showing now.
Old September 2 2012, 05:54 PM   #139
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

to be honest, i'm kinda glad there isn't continual updates, blogs, interviews, videos with the cast / production crew and everything...

says to me they're concentrating on actually making the movie, and not building up senseless hype around it... and i know i for one, would much rather they concentrate on making a kick ass movie, rather than breaking concentration and talking to the fans every week or so

M
Old September 2 2012, 06:29 PM   #140
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Make no mistake people, it's in our interest too that this movie to makes money.
Old September 3 2012, 12:12 AM   #141
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Especially since the last one, because of all the secrecy, tanked at the box office.
Old September 3 2012, 12:59 AM   #142
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Mach5 wrote: View Post

For fuck sake, ST XII is less than nine months away, and there's virtually NO Internet buzz whatsoever. Not a single piece of promotional material, let alone a teaser. I can't believe Paramount is letting him do this.

Think back. How much buzz do you remember there being prior to the 2008 SDCC poster sets? There wasn't much: scattered tidbits, with large stretches of dead quiet in between.

It wasn't until the EW article in mid-October and the first theatrical trailer in November (roughly six months before release) that things really started to warm up last time, promo- and buzz-wise.
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
Old September 3 2012, 01:38 AM   #143
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

For fuck sake, ST XII is less than nine months away, .
You mean it's a whole nine months away.

The last movie was the most successful Trek project in ages. I suspect they know what they're doing.
Old September 3 2012, 01:49 AM   #144
teacock
Admiral

Some movies are so over hyped that I'm sick of them before they come out. Obviously this wouldn't be the case with ST:XII for me but I do think it's a danger of too much publicity machining.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 3 2012, 06:53 AM   #145
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

teacake wrote: View Post
Some movies are so over hyped that I'm sick of them before they come out. Obviously this wouldn't be the case with ST:XII for me but I do think it's a danger of too much publicity machining.
It's not so much the lack of publicity, if this was 2 years after the original movie, momentum alone wound carry it forward.

But this is 4 years later, there's no TV show (probably no bad thing), there's no media profile and no buzz.

This could hurt the box office.
Old September 3 2012, 07:15 AM   #146
EyalM
Captain

Buzz doesn't need months to build, although it can. There is nothing, in theory, that prevents a movie from having a month long marketing campigen and still be a success.
Old September 3 2012, 07:31 AM   #147
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Ovation wrote: View Post
Especially since the last one, because of all the secrecy, tanked at the box office.
It certainly didn't tank, however:

Star Trek - Worldwide: $385,680,446

The Avengers - Worldwide: $1,501,845,000.

Avengers made double domestic than Star Trek did worldwide. Logically speaking, it could be because Marvel started promoting Avengers from 2010 onwards. Hell, Iron Man 2 was basically one big promo for it. So yes, the extreme amount of secrecy is truly hurting this movie. At least thats what I think.
Old September 3 2012, 08:26 AM   #148
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I can't tell whether you're joking or not, but I have a hard time believing that anyone would really expect a Star Trek movie of any caliber to pull in as much as Avengers.
Old September 3 2012, 09:10 AM   #149
Devon
Fleet Captain

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
It certainly didn't tank, however:

Star Trek - Worldwide: $385,680,446

The Avengers - Worldwide: $1,501,845,000.

Avengers made double domestic than Star Trek did worldwide. Logically speaking, it could be because Marvel started promoting Avengers from 2010 onwards. Hell, Iron Man 2 was basically one big promo for it. So yes, the extreme amount of secrecy is truly hurting this movie. At least thats what I think.
"The Avengers" is also the combination of a few successful franchises in which two characters were featured and mega successful films previously. It's not fair to make that comparison since the circumstances as to why "The Avengers" had a box office advantage is a little more unique.
Old September 3 2012, 10:41 AM   #150
Beyerstein
Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

Think back. How much buzz do you remember there being prior to the 2008 SDCC poster sets? There wasn't much: scattered tidbits, with large stretches of dead quiet in between.

It wasn't until the EW article in mid-October and the first theatrical trailer in November (roughly six months before release) that things really started to warm up last time, promo- and buzz-wise.
I think there was a lot more buzz. There was also that enterprise construction trailer like a year and half before the movie ended up coming out in.
Closed Thread