RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 791
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"
Geronimo! 96 55.17%
Good 57 32.76%
Average 15 8.62%
Save us! 4 2.30%
Exterminate!! 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 2 2012, 09:04 PM   #196
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Valin wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I've been fixed up on some old-fashioned blind-dates where the reality turned out to be worse than a Dalek.
Enough about the other person's impressions, what did you make of your date?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
Old September 2 2012, 09:05 PM   #197
davejames
Vice Admiral

Trubinator wrote: View Post
And was I the only one who was a bit weirded out that they never used the 11th doctor's theme in AoTD? I sure hope it comes back soon ...
It's a great theme, but usually it's reserved for when the Doctor comes up with some inspired solution or they want to go out on a light note.

With all the Pond angst in this episode, and the tragedy of Oswin's situation, I just don't think it would have been as appropriate here.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:06 PM   #198
wamdue
Admiral

Valin wrote: View Post
wamdue wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
Just had a thought, and perhaps others have too. But when Oswin (in her mind; human form) is trying in vain to keep the Daleks out of her "pod." Could that just be the Dalek side of her trying to overtake her, and she sees it as actual Daleks trying to break down the door?

Like I said, may not be an original thought, but I haven't seen it presented here yet.
yes I agree, and almost added something similar to the post above yours.
And who chained her; not the insane Daleks surely? The "sane" Daleks must have; as someone else suggested, they were afraid of her not the rejects.
the chain thing is an interesting question, and it was me who suggested that it was actually her the Daleks were scared of.
Old September 2 2012, 09:08 PM   #199
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

She said it was a phase.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:14 PM   #200
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Why are we pointing at Davison Era Classic Who and complaining about Skaro being destroyed? Didn't McGann's Doctr pick up The Master from Skaro (NuSkaro?). If so, Skaro's existence had already been overwritten/restablished

I don't recall ever knowing the Comapnion Clara's last name was Oswin, that definitely makes it seem part of the Arc, that Oswin was a Dalek. I wonder if maybe, they didn't use all of Clara to make Dalek Oswin, maybe they just used of her DNA, and the Clara who will be his new Companion is still intact somewhere?

I too wondered about The Dalek Prime Minister being Dalek Caan
Davison ere? Rememberance Of The Daleks was the last Dalek story of the classic series and it starred McCoy not Davison. And the Master was taken to Skaro to answer for his crimes, we have no idea that the Doctor took him from there.
Ah, OK, McCoy's Era (I get mixed up on the titles of the three "R"s). The McGann movie implies that's where McGann got him from, but, still, The Master was there immediately before the TV Movie, so it was still around when McCoy regenerated.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:18 PM   #201
Iamnotspock
Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post
Just had a thought, and perhaps others have too. But when Oswin (in her mind; human form) is trying in vain to keep the Daleks out of her "pod." Could that just be the Dalek side of her trying to overtake her, and she sees it as actual Daleks trying to break down the door?

Like I said, may not be an original thought, but I haven't seen it presented here yet.
I think that was probably the intention, yes. There was some imagery in her mental simulation that seemed designed to evoke the Daleks, such as the ballerina (Raymond Cusick's original design inspiration, echoed later on with Amy's hallucination) and possibly the soufflé (Eggs, Stir, Minute... ).
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:37 PM   #202
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

I don't watch Who frequently enough to get all the intricate storylines/injokes but I usually end up watching a few episodes of each series of the modern Who and generally enjoy it. I caught yesterday's ep: good fun! Not outstanding but certainly entertaining, and it felt quite like an old-fashioned Doctor Who ep with a simple/clean narrative. I liked that.

I didn't get some of the story though (maybe 'cos I don't watch closely enough); perhaps you guys could fill in the blanks for me please?

- Why did the characters in the story accept Oswin being so deep underground for so long when they knew the spaceship she was on was much nearer on the surface and had crashed a year before? i.e. what was their in-story understanding of how she got there without being assimilated by the nanocloud?
- How did the TARDIS get on the Dalek spaceship? Was it already there before they slid down the light chute thing?
- Why were the Daleks so concerned about her transmission from the surface? I thought the shield was there to keep the mad Daleks inside, not stop stuff getting in (after all, it's clearly not an impermeable shield from outside as the send the Doctor et al in). And how come the Daleks already down there can't deactivate the shield themselves?
- Finally, how come the Daleks were happy enough to blow up the planet now, when they hadn't done so for so long and valued the hatred of the mad Daleks so much?

But leaving aside my presumably missing some story stuff through only half-watching, I still thought the emotional heart of the story was good. I only wish the Doctor hadn't telegraphed Oswin's reveal really early on when he so overtly questioned her souffle story. That instantly made me think she was lying & corrupted by Dalek tech. OK, so my guess was that she was assimilated (like the humans who abducted the Doctor et al) rather than a full-on Dalek, but still, it detracted a little from the power of the final reveal. Despite that, the performances were still engaging enough to sell the story.

BTW, not being immersed in Who fandom, this has probably been discussed ad infinitum already, but I did chuckle at the name of the pretty new companion: IIRC from history class, Oswin translates to "friend/ally of god" and Oswald to "having the power of god". Calling a Doctor's companion "God's friend" is quite a cheeky little wink.

When does she join the series properely (and do the rather-boring-to-me Amy/Rory finally leave the show soon? I actually thought they'd been written out at the end of the last series as I heard they were leaving and their story seems over, but no, here they are back again in this series...)

Last edited by Holdfast; September 2 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:39 PM   #203
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:43 PM   #204
Worf2DS9
Writer

^ That is pretty hilarious.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
When does she join the series properely (and do the rather-boring-to-me Amy/Rory finally leave the show soon? I actually thought they'd been written out at the end of the last series as I heard they were leaving and their story seems over, but no, here they are back again in this series...)
The Ponds will be departing in episode 5, then JLC will make her debut as the new companion in the Christmas episode.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:53 PM   #205
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
The Ponds will be departing in episode 5, then JLC will make her debut as the new companion in the Christmas episode.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info; I kind of assumed she would be joining sooner than that. Oh well, never mind.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 11:01 PM   #206
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

- Why did the characters in the story accept Oswin being so deep underground for so long when they knew the spaceship she was on was much nearer on the surface and had crashed a year before? i.e. what was their in-story understanding of how she got there without being assimilated by the nanocloud?
There was none, so it stood out a bit to me too. I just assumed she was a robot, though, which made me think it was reversible. In spite of everything, I didn't expect a full Dalek. They might have hinted that she was shielded somehow, but, if they did, I missed it too.

- How did the TARDIS get on the Dalek spaceship? Was it already there before they slid down the light chute thing?
Yeah, it was there at the beginning of the episode. I assume the Daleks brought it when they brought the Doctor.

- Why were the Daleks so concerned about her transmission from the surface? I thought the shield was there to keep the mad Daleks inside, not stop stuff getting in (after all, it's clearly not an impermeable shield from outside as the send the Doctor et al in). And how come the Daleks already down there can't deactivate the shield themselves?
Two things. First, the shield was down by that point in the episode (hence why they were bombarding the planet).

Second, it was the Daleks down they that they were afraid of. They were essentially insane Daleks who wouldn't listen to the other Daleks (and would presumably even kill the other Daleks). This is why they wanted to blow them up. Although there's no explanation for why now. Maybe it had something to do with Owen, but I don't have an answer.
Old September 2 2012, 11:03 PM   #207
wamdue
Admiral

one thing I did wonder is when we saw the brief shots of Oswin inside the Dalek case, why did she still have her body? the Daleks only really need her mind.

I also suspect they feared that Oswin may turn the insane Daleks into her own personal army, since she was able to control them, that is something that could really scare them.
Old September 2 2012, 11:05 PM   #208
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah, the red dress with the tool belt was definitely a cute look for her.

It's a shame her companion look probably won't be as sexy.

I respectfully disagree
Old September 2 2012, 11:07 PM   #209
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

wamdue wrote: View Post
one thing I did wonder is when we saw the brief shots of Oswin inside the Dalek case, why did she still have her body? the Daleks only really need her mind.
She wasn't physically in the Dalek case, not unless she'd been shrunk down to three inches tall. That was just her mental image of herself. There was no living quarters, no soufflé, no eggs to make a soufflé, and no physical Oswin.
Old September 2 2012, 11:09 PM   #210
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Holdfast wrote:
"Why hasn't the nano-cloud converted you?"
"I mentioned the genius thing, yeah? I'm shielded in here."

Don't know that they bought it but that's what was in there. I didn't predict the exact ending but I'm pretty sure most people watching had an inkling that something wasn't entirely kosher about her.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote