New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 1 2012, 03:13 AM   #196
NrobbieC
Commander

Re: Why is Nemesis hated so much?

Nemesis isn't as bad as it's made out to be imo. It was the first Trek film I saw in the cinema (I was 11 I think). Looking back now, I find Shinzon boring. But I liked the idea of the Remans, I love Romulans (real ridged Romulans mind you) though they deserve much better representation in a movie. And of course, it had Admiral Janeway. I wouldn't change too much about it, though I'd make the antagonist Sela, maybe have a fleet battle, throw in one of those D'deridex beauties.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 03:35 AM   #197
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

NrobbieC wrote: View Post
I wouldn't change too much about it, though I'd make the antagonist Sela, maybe have a fleet battle, throw in one of those D'deridex beauties.
I was not a fan of the Sela storyline but this would have been a huge improvement and much more interesting.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 05:34 AM   #198
Lord Garth
Captain

If the action scenes were cut in half and the cut character scenes were restored then there still would've been stupid things about Nemesis but it would've made for a much better film and, in turn, I would've been more willing to overlook plot threads with silly execution like B-4 and Shinzon irrationally going after Earth.

I'm willing to look the other way with a lot of things if the overall quality is high enough. Such as with ST XI.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 05:56 AM   #199
AllStarEntprise
Captain

Shinzon didn't irrationally go after Earth. The first scene in the movie establishes that's what Shinzon's motive was. Destroy Earth = Crippling the Federation. It's repeated throughout the film. Shinzon says this to Picard, Picard and Riker both deduce the reason why Shinzon would attack Earth.

I know it seems more logical to attack Romulus because he hates them, but Shinzon has intergalactic aspirations and he can't do that without support from the Romulans.

Star Trek XI's saving grace is the spectacle of the film. The film's big budget makes the world JJ created look incredible. XI is 80% style and 20% substance, the bulk of that substance comes from copying and pasting successful ideas from the previous Trek media.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 06:28 AM   #200
Lord Garth
Captain

I've only seen the movie twice, and not recently, so I'll defer to you about Shinzon's motives.

But, while we're talking about it, wouldn't it be more in keeping with Romulan philosophy to wait for the Federation to up the ante to a certain level before going balls-to-the-wall after Earth?

It would make more sense, from a Romulan point of view, for the Federation to fear them than to be destroyed. The resources used to destroy the Federation in an all-out war would bankrupt the Romulans militarily by the end of it. The Federation would be destroyed but at what cost to the Romulans?

Isn't "mutually assured destruction" what's kept the Federation, Klingon, and Romulan situation the way it's been throughout Star Trek? Shifting alliances aside.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 06:38 AM   #201
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Shinzon didn't irrationally go after Earth. The first scene in the movie establishes that's what Shinzon's motive was. Destroy Earth = Crippling the Federation. It's repeated throughout the film. Shinzon says this to Picard, Picard and Riker both deduce the reason why Shinzon would attack Earth.
The premise here is fairly ridiculous. Even putting that aside, simply replacing "Earth" with "the Federation" doesn't help the irrationality.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 06:50 AM   #202
AllStarEntprise
Captain

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I've only seen the movie twice, and not recently, so I'll defer to you about Shinzon's motives.

But, while we're talking about it, wouldn't it be more in keeping with Romulan philosophy to wait for the Federation to up the ante to a certain level before going balls-to-the-wall after Earth?

It would make more sense, from a Romulan point of view, for the Federation to fear them than to be destroyed. The resources used to destroy the Federation in an all-out war would bankrupt the Romulans militarily by the end of it. The Federation would be destroyed but at what cost to the Romulans?

Isn't "mutually assured destruction" what's kept the Federation, Klingon, and Romulan situation the way it's been throughout Star Trek? Shifting alliances aside.
That's what the Scimitar was for. It's not said in the movie but in the special features of the dvd/bluray the Scimitar is said to have only one purpose which is to destroy planets with the Thalaron Pulse. The Scimitar was built so damn tough in order to take a beating from other starships and still fire the thalaron pulse. If Earth fell the rest of the Federation would be weakend since Earth is the HQ of Starfleet.

Not sure if this was offical or unofficial but I recall somewhere the reason some Romulan commanders wanted to attack Earth now was about power and expansion in the Quadrant since the conclusion of the Dominion War. The Klingons taking heavy losses during the war, it was to come down to a conflict between Starfleet and the Romulans. Given Romulan nature to wait, observe patiently, then decide a course of action is the reason the Romulan Senate was killed. The Praetor didn't want to risk war with Federation, and after he denied Shinzon's proposal he was killed via thalaron.

Last edited by AllStarEntprise; September 6 2012 at 08:15 AM.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 06:44 PM   #203
NrobbieC
Commander

Nemesis does have the distinction of implying LGBT crewmembers in Starfleet.
Old September 6 2012, 06:53 PM   #204
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I wouldn't change too much about it, though I'd make the antagonist Sela, maybe have a fleet battle, throw in one of those D'deridex beauties.
I was not a fan of the Sela storyline but this would have been a huge improvement and much more interesting.
Agree, more of that would have helped.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2012, 07:19 PM   #205
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nemesis does have the distinction of implying LGBT crewmembers in Starfleet.
Where?
Old September 6 2012, 07:23 PM   #206
NrobbieC
Commander

Before Data starts singing he addresses the crowd "ladies and gentlemen and invited transgendered species."
Old September 11 2012, 01:30 AM   #207
Mr_Homn
Captain

Before Data starts singing he addresses the crowd "ladies and gentlemen and invited transgendered species."
That doesn't sound inclusive of transgendered humans at all, actually.
Old September 11 2012, 01:31 AM   #208
BillJ
Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
That doesn't sound inclusive of transgendered humans at all, actually.
Bingo.
Old September 11 2012, 01:53 AM   #209
NrobbieC
Commander

I would assume sex change operations are not exclusive to humans
Old September 11 2012, 01:58 AM   #210
BillJ
Admiral