Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 1 2012, 01:12 AM   #1216
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Next week's previews...

For me, Avengers Academy, Defenders, Hawkeye and Thor.

So has everyone decided what they are going to be reading post AvX and into the Marvel Now! era?

With most of my favorites ending or changing creators, I'll probably be cutting way down.

For sure--

Avengers (2x a month, Long term.)
All-New X-Men (2x a month. At least through the first arc.)
Daredevil (long term)
Hawkeye (Long term)

Probably--
Iron Man (In Gillen I trust, so probably the first arc at least.)
Uncanny Avengers (This seems to be the book to watch, so I might give it a shot. If so, it will be my first time reading Remender.)

The un-named project that has been hinted at with Kid Loki, Wiccan and Miss America, rumored to be a Keiron Gillen written mash-up of Young Avengers and Avengers Academy. Long term, if it's Gillen writing Loki.

Maybe--
Fantastic Four
FF
New Avengers

If I get all that I've listed, I'll be down to 12 Marvel books a month.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; September 1 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 01:20 AM   #1217
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Light Marvel week next week, just Amazing and AOA for me.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 02:20 AM   #1218
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Defenders #10
Dark Avengers #180
Punisher #15

All titles that will be cancelled within 1-3 months anyway.
I'm most curious about how Punisher ends(#16) and transitions into the War Zone mini + how Man-Thing's story wraps in DA by the end at #183
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 02:24 AM   #1219
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Marvel Now books I'll be reading :

-Avengers
-New Avengers
-Uncanny Avengers
-Indestructible Hulk
-Iron Man
-Captain America
-Fantastic Four
-FF
-All New X-Men (as mentioned this will be on an extremely tight leash through the first arc, almost similar to the first arc of New 52 Justice League for me)
-Mighty Thor

Oh...come October, I'll be starting a Marvel Now thread so we will be able to shift discussion of the Marvel Universe to that when the time comes.

Old September 1 2012, 03:29 AM   #1220
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
So has everyone decided what they are going to be reading post AvX and into the Marvel Now! era?
It'll probably just be Amazing Spider-Man for me. That decision isn't a reaction to the Marvel NOW shuffles, though. Work hours have been fluctuating in odd ways the last few weeks and student loan payments will be starting soon, so I'm cutting down on some books as arcs end and others as creators leave.

For specifics, I'll stick with Fantastic Four and FF until Hickman leaves; Captain America until Brubaker leaves; Winter Soldier until Brubaker leaves; Punisher until Rucka leaves; and Journey into Mystery until Gillen leaves. I've already stopped reading most of the series tying into AVX that I was giving a chance to (Uncanny X-Men, Avengers Academy, etc.), I'm stopping Wolverine and the X-Men likely as of the latest issue, and I've already dropped some other titles like Scarlet Spider, Daredevil, and Venom.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 03:33 AM   #1221
Mr Light
Admiral

I can't keep track of all these shifting teams. I'll probably stick with that I'm already getting. All the Avengers, X-Men, Iron Man, FF... Though I'll try Cap Am for the JRJR art.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 03:37 AM   #1222
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'll also be continuing to read the books I am now that are not part of Marvel Now. Such as Amazing Spider-Man, along with Wolverine and the X-Men.

J. Scott Campbell Marvel Now variant cover sketches reveal some members of Hickman's "Avengers" team. They are Spider-Man, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Hulk.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/...avengers-team/

Last edited by Admiral_Young; September 1 2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old September 4 2012, 10:10 PM   #1223
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Wrap around cover for Hickman's Avengers...reveals some members.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/aven...arvel-now.html

Hickman's plans are reminded me sort of a Marvel version of Justice League Unlimited

Old September 5 2012, 12:46 AM   #1224
JD
Admiral

Who is that background between Captain Marvel and Captain America?
Old September 5 2012, 12:50 AM   #1225
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Don't know. Can't make him out, don't think he's a new character though...probably in silhouette on purpose.

Old September 5 2012, 04:54 AM   #1226
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The pattern on his chest is... 0-0

It could be Madrox?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 09:39 AM   #1227
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

apparently its a character called Manifold...Eden Fesi from Secret Warriors.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 10:03 AM   #1228
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That makes sense since Hickman wrote Secret Warriors. It would seem there will be a few characters "graduating" to Avengers status in this book, which makes sense when you have a 18 member roster. A combination of old and new members.

Old September 5 2012, 10:14 PM   #1229
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well, this can't be good. We have seen Scott with a redesigned funky helmet in the Marvel Now teaser...maybe instead of death...this happens to him? The question is, who is doing this and why?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/...cyclops-brain/

Old September 5 2012, 10:18 PM   #1230
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
That makes sense since Hickman wrote Secret Warriors. It would seem there will be a few characters "graduating" to Avengers status in this book, which makes sense when you have a 18 member roster. A combination of old and new members.
But I have to wonder what is to become of Daisy's (or, if you prefer, "Quake") Avengers status? Even if she is no longer an active Avenger (and, frankly, she's more of an asset running SHIELD anyway), it would seem that Hickman probably has "custody" of her again.

This week's books--

The Mighty Thor 19-- Part two of the "Everything Burns" crossover with Journey Into Mystery. Poor Loki. It would seem that, despite his very best of intentions, every decision that he has made since the beginning of his new journey has been a disasterous one. And that last page! How the knife twists! The road to Hel, indeed.

I blame the magpie, Ikol, of course. The spirit, or "echo", of Loki's previous incarnation warned his younger self right off the bat that he was not to be trusted. So what does Loki do? He takes the bird on as his familiar. Seriously. What did you expect to happen?

Hawkeye 2-- I think that this book is going to be a keeper. What sold me on this book in the first place is that it was described as mentor/student buddy book between dual Hawkeyes Clint Barton and Kate Bishop. Matt Fraction already showed that he can write these two characters with a great (non-romantic) chemistry back in the Young Avengers Presents: Hawkeye one-shot, and he picks that chemestry up without a beat here.

Hawkeye's new "hobby" brings his book to an almost street-level feel. Of course, monumentally pissing off Wilson Fisk in your second issue will do that. A crossover with books like Daredevil or Punisher would feel natural.

Defenders 10-- It would seem that I was wrong in my earlier speculation that this was meant to be a finite series. I read an interview with Matt Fraction* where he stated that he had a much-longer run planned but the sales just weren't there. He also said thathe believed the book was doomed the moment they put the title "Defenders" on the book. Sad, really, as it has been largely been really good with solid story-telling and an interesting direction. Pick it up in trade. You won't be disappointed.

* I just realized that all three of the books I've discussed so far were written by Matt Fraction, who I previously didn't think much of. Clearly, I've been reading the wrong Fraction projects (The World Eaters, Fear Itself).

Avengers Academy 36-- "Final Exam" part three sees our students making good decisions, making painful sacrifices for the greater good and accepting their destinies. In other words, becoming heroes--Avengers. Is it silly to say that I'm proud?

Christos Gage has said that the book's ending had less to do with sales and more to do with him running out of juice creatively with the characters. As sad as I am to see it go, I would rather see AA end at the top of its game with the ending the creator envisioned rather than run itself into the ground.

New Mutants 48-- Here it is-- the birth of Doug Ramsey, Supervillain! I'm really just riding this book out until the issue 50 finale. New Mutants was mostly more of a nostalgia book for me than a must-read.

Just to give you all a notion of how radically my pull-list will be changing come Marvel Now!, of the five books I discussed here, four of them are ending.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; September 5 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote