RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,693
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 765
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 31 2012, 07:09 PM   #1126
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Yeah, there's Dany, there's the one who has returned with 'Griff' and potentially Jon.

While Dany and Jon are both decent and probably more deserving than most of the other candidates and the new guy also seems, according to Varys, to have been properly equipped and trained for the role, I must admit that I'd be disappointed if the throne ultimately simply reverts back to the Targareans - who did deserve to be deposed, even if Rhaegar may have turned out to be a great King.
Maybe the seven kingdoms will break back up into their constituent parts?

Right now - the other claimants are faltering.
1. Stannis is just too unyielding and lacks money + support.
2. Tommen might seem somewhat secure, but the oblivion to what is actually happening will get the boy on the Iron Throne I think.
3. The Iron Born's plan to become a major player hinges on Dany marrying a Greyjoy.

Right now it seems that the stage is set for a T to sweep in on the back of a dragon, but things may change.

Of course maybe the white walkers will just kill everyone, and it won't matter. A big theme of the books seems to be petty lords squabbling over a chair when cold white death is stalking in from the North.
Old August 31 2012, 07:11 PM   #1127
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, the breaking-up option has to be considered, though I think it has looked less likely since the Red Wedding.

In some ways, I think there would be a nicer symmetry if it turned out that Jon was Ned's son after all and some sort of alliance between him and Dany - which would be a meeting of Ice and Fire - was what saved the realm.
Old August 31 2012, 07:28 PM   #1128
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^Yeah, the breaking-up option has to be considered, though I think it has looked less likely since the Red Wedding.

In some ways, I think there would be a nicer symmetry if it turned out that Jon was Ned's son after all and some sort of alliance between him and Dany - which would be a meeting of Ice and Fire - was what saved the realm.
If Robb did sign a document that turned Jon Snow into Jon Stark, Jon would get what he always wanted. (Does something signed by a would-be dead king still count?) Ultimately, if Robb took steps to legitimize Jon, what would be important to Jon is finding out that Robb wanted to made him a Stark legally. I think that would mean the world to Jon.

I felt so bad for Jon when he was thinking on Stannis' offer. He remembered playing with Robb and shouting that he was "Lord of Wintefell." Robb said that Jon could never be the Lord of Winterfell because his lady mother said Jon was a bastard. (I really hated Cat for her loathing of Jon. She should have taken some of that ire out on her precious Ned - not a small child. I understood why she hated Jon, but still...)

I would laugh my backside off if the bastard of Winterfell defeats the others and marries the beautiful princess.
Old August 31 2012, 07:35 PM   #1129
Anwar
Vice Admiral

She probably did take out ire on Ned, but Ned worked his @$$ off to be a good husband and earn her love and respect in the next 13 years. Jon (apparently) never did much of anything to earn her respect and love. Plus his moping about how awful his life is really is unbearable considering his life was actually pretty damn good and better than 99% of the rest of Westeros.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:07 PM   #1130
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

He wasn't would-be. As far as the north was concerned he was King. The war once Ned was dead was really about deciding where the border would be since they couldn't just abandon the Riverlands. The question is more "does the south give a shit?" and the answer to that is probably no.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:15 PM   #1131
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I would laugh my backside off if the bastard of Winterfell defeats the others and marries the beautiful princess.
I would absolutely love for the story to end like this, sentimental sap that I am, but I suspect that GRRM has different ideas.
Old August 31 2012, 08:22 PM   #1132
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I have not made it to the end of book 5 yet, but thanks to some friends and my inability to stay out of this thread....

I know Jon is stabbed at the end of book 5.

Do you think Martin will leave him dead to reinforce the brutality and senselessness of some deaths?
Old August 31 2012, 08:25 PM   #1133
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^If he does, it would seem to render a lot of what he has set up somewhat pointless. But he does love killing off members of the Stark family.

My own best guess is that he will die but that Melisandre will bring him back to life. And once that happens, all bets are off (his vow to the Nightwatch, for one).
Old August 31 2012, 08:36 PM   #1134
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Do you think his ability to warg will mean his memories will be intact unlike Cat and Beric? I assume the prologue with Vymar was put in the book for a reason...
Old August 31 2012, 08:43 PM   #1135
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Hadn't thought of that.

I'm sort of working on the assumption that he will be resurrected sooner than they will be, because Melisandre is close to hand (poor Cat was dead for 3 days and starting to rot...), so I've sort of taken it that the resurrected Jon will be closer to the original than any of the others.
Old August 31 2012, 08:47 PM   #1136
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Perhaps that's why Melisandre chose to remain at the wall when Stannis went out on his campaign to retake Winterfell - she saw Jon's death in her fires and knew she would have to breathe life back into him at some point. This would make sense if she's also starting to suspect that Jon may be Azor Ahai reborn and not Stannis after all.
Old August 31 2012, 08:55 PM   #1137
Kosh Naranek
Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Perhaps that's why Melisandre chose to remain at the wall when Stannis went out on his campaign to retake Winterfell - she saw Jon's death in her fires and knew she would have to breathe life back into him at some point. This would make sense if she's also starting to suspect that Jon may be Azor Ahai reborn and not Stannis after all.

That is a good point. She may have decided that Jon is Azor Ahai.

Martin has spent quite a lot of time building Jon up - hinting around at his origins, etc. It seems like killing him now (for good) would undo all of that. But, he could do it anyway just to mess with us.

There have been hints that Stannis is not who Mel thinks he is. Aemon said flat out that Stannis did not have lightbringer.
Old August 31 2012, 09:24 PM   #1138
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Can you "untake" the black? Jon's stuck at the Wall if you can't, no matter who's son he is.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:58 PM   #1139
Kelthaz
Commodore

Kings can do whatever the hell they want. Stannis wants Jon to "untake" the black, so if Jon is willing it's going to happen.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 11:51 PM   #1140
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
If Jon is a T, and the kid claiming to be Aegon is not a fabulous fake...That would mean that there are 3 Targeryn claimants to the throne running about.
As we've discussed before with Jon that - if he is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna - a claim to the throne would really depend on whether or not Rhaegar ever married Lyanna.

Now Rhaegar was already married to Elia of Dorne, but bigamy is something that Targaryens have indulged in in the past. If he married Lyanna Jon has a hypothetical claim, if not he's just a bastard.

Of course, Aegon - as the probably elder son of Rhaegar's first wife - has a better claim anyway. If he is indeed really Aegon, I know there are people who like to speculate he's descended from the female line of the Blackfyres (legitimized Targaryen bastards who tried twice to take the throne).

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Kings can do whatever the hell they want. Stannis wants Jon to "untake" the black, so if Jon is willing it's going to happen.
Basically. Stannis has the authority to not just have Jon 'untake' the black, but also to legitimize his heritage and thus make him the default claimant on Winterfell.

..but who in authority would give a potential Targaryen claimant the right to leave the order? They'd have to both have the authority and be able to benefit - like, say, Queen Daenerys legitimizing and marrying Jon Targaryen. If not that scenario can't think of any cases it'd be useful.