Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 31 2012, 12:27 AM   #61
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Perfect example of what they SHOULD have done with the TNG-R FX

The original battelcruiser was designed to evoke a manta ray (just look at the main fuselage), and that sea-animal aspect to it was forgotten in later ships. The BOP at least has some lines that evoke the original battlecruiser and the K'tinga. The Vorcha suffers from a common problem with later ships: a cross section that's basically octagonal, so it's got really only one interesting sihouette (from above) and from the side it looks like a series of stacked boxes. Beveled edges don't make it interesting. It's a problem it shares with the Cardassian ship. Hell, it resembles the Cardassian ship so much it looks like someone flipped that around and stuck nacelles on it.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 12:33 AM   #62
davejames
Vice Admiral

I thought the BoP looked plenty elegant, especially when those long wings would be angled upward slightly.

I will say that it never looked quite as good in TNG as in the movies though. It was shot way too static, without any of those cool swooping shots that we saw in TSFS or TVH.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 02:43 AM   #63
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

Personally I think the BOP is a great design. But then I also like the Negh'Var, D'deridex and Valdore-style ships.
Old August 31 2012, 02:56 AM   #64
Christopher
Writer

Now, the Valdore-type ship (designed by John Eaves) is kind of nice -- except that I think it looks more Klingon than Romulan, and in fact would be a better Klingon ship design than just about anything we've gotten post-1979.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 04:50 PM   #65
Dukhat
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
Case in point with "Yesterday's Enterprise" and the "K'Vort class battlecruisers," which were just unrealistically upscaled BoPs. They hadn't yet built the Vorcha model, which is most likely what they would have used if they had it.
If they wanted Klingon battlecruisers, I don't know why they didn't just use the lovely K'tinga-class miniature instead of the ugly, wrong-sized BoP.
While I agree with you that the K'Tinga class ship is a terrific design, even if it was scaled to its normal dimensions, it would have been no match for the Enterprise-D. The whole reason they had to upscale the BoPs to ridiculous dimensions was so that the Ent-D had an equally-sized adversary to fight. Unfortunately they had no corresponding model at the time (although I suppose they could have used that Planet of the Creeps/Promellian ship painted green like they eventually did in DS9...when scaled to the station, it was huge...)
Old August 31 2012, 05:19 PM   #66
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Hey Christopher, Here's a Klingon ship you may like. One of the best fan designs ever created and it's a physical model to boot!
Old August 31 2012, 05:32 PM   #67
Christopher
Writer

^Sorry, no, I don't care for it at all. Not very graceful contours. And why is it that all Klingon ships from the BoP onward have had to be that sickly olive green? I prefer the battleship gray of the D-7 and K'tinga.

To Dukhat: Okay, the K'ts are smaller than the E-D, but I think three of them could've been a match for it -- well, at least for the Prime-universe version, though I assume the YE version was more heavily armed and armored. At the very least, it wouldn't have been quite as ridiculous a scale mismatch as using the BoP.

Old August 31 2012, 06:11 PM   #68
davejames
Vice Admiral

Seems like the Ent-D being twice the size of the original Enterprise is something that was written once, early on, in the series bible.... and then immediately forgotten as production began on the actual series. Lol

I mean, was there ever any shot that showed the ship being much larger than other established ships? I can't think of one. Even the Bozeman/Reliant from Cause and Effect was twice as big as it should be.

Seems like the only time they got the scale right was with the Excelsior model, but that was probably just by accident.

Last edited by davejames; August 31 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old August 31 2012, 06:21 PM   #69
Timo
Admiral

Hmh? The E-D dwarfs basically every alien design thrown against it, save for the Tamarian vessel and Q's spatial chainmail. "Enemy looming above the heroes" is a classic pose from the TOS movies and DS9, but in TNG, it's always the E-D that looms.

Only fellow Starfleet vessels appear to be of the same size, aren't positioned basically beneath the saucer in a standoff, and tend to fly side by side with the hero vessel for effect.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 06:40 PM   #70
davejames
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
Hmh? The E-D dwarfs basically every alien design thrown against it, save for the Tamarian vessel and Q's spatial chainmail. "Enemy looming above the heroes" is a classic pose from the TOS movies and DS9, but in TNG, it's always the E-D that looms.

Only fellow Starfleet vessels appear to be of the same size, aren't positioned basically beneath the saucer in a standoff, and tend to fly side by side with the hero vessel for effect.

Timo Saloniemi
Well yeah, but I'm sure they would have had the Ent-D looming over those ships anyway, since most of those aliens were established as being not quite as technologically advanced.

Or they were piloting cargo ships, scout vessels, or small transports.
Old August 31 2012, 10:05 PM   #71
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Sorry, no, I don't care for it at all. Not very graceful contours. And why is it that all Klingon ships from the BoP onward have had to be that sickly olive green? I prefer the battleship gray of the D-7 and K'tinga.
HUH??? Not very graceful?? Did we look at the same ship? That thing is a piece of art. (ok, yeah, the color may be a bit overused in modern trek, but that's easily changeable)
Old August 31 2012, 11:45 PM   #72
Christopher
Writer

No accounting for taste. I just don't like the shape of the "head" and neck.

Old September 1 2012, 09:12 AM   #73
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The K'tinga was olive green, not gray.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 03:31 PM   #74
Christopher
Writer

Looks gray to me in that shot, and in the others I've seen.

Old September 1 2012, 08:47 PM   #75
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

sojourner wrote: View Post
HUH??? Not very graceful?? Did we look at the same ship? That thing is a piece of art. (ok, yeah, the color may be a bit overused in modern trek, but that's easily changeable)
I'm not really impressed with the design either (model work is great), reminds more of something the Cardassians would build.