A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old August 30 2012, 03:38 PM   #151
gturner
Admiral

Re: Bill Nye: “Creationism is not Appropriate for Children”

God could've easily avoided debates about original authorship by creating laser printers to spit out his unedited text, or giving the ancient Israelites iPads or Kindles so they could read his words without destroying any of the trees he created. If Dell can throw in a free ink-jet printer with your order, why couldn't God have offered Abraham a free printer and a Kindle for every sacrifice of a lamb?

At least polytheism forces gods to compete in the free-market by offering bells and whistles instead of exploiting monopolistic advantage to force the customers to write promotional advertisements on their own dime.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 04:36 PM   #152
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I like polytheism. It makes more sense.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 12:16 AM   #153
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

And it's more versatile. No wait, that's polythene, nevermind.
Old August 31 2012, 02:19 AM   #154
RoJoHen
Awesome

At least with polytheism there is a division of labor. If I was the first God, I would totally make more gods to delegate the work.
Old August 31 2012, 02:27 AM   #155
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Bill was on Coast to Coast AM last night for the first hour.
Here it is, if you wish to listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VOHoLWRgM
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 05:57 AM   #156
gturner
Admiral

Isn't Coast to Coast AM usually the last interview stop before the men in white coats are called?

*Plays soothing music while waiting for the public health crew to show up*

Tall and tan and young and lovely,
The girl from Ipanema goes walking,
and when she passes...
Old August 31 2012, 07:46 AM   #157
The Castellan
Commodore

gturner wrote: View Post
Isn't Coast to Coast AM usually the last interview stop before the men in white coats are called?

*Plays soothing music while waiting for the public health crew to show up*

Tall and tan and young and lovely,
The girl from Ipanema goes walking,
and when she passes...
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
Old August 31 2012, 02:40 PM   #158
gturner
Admiral

Sure enough, Nye was followed as a guest by a paranormal investigator who wrote a book on time travel. Most guests on Coast to Coast AM believe some really, really weird things: Fairies, bigfoot, UFO's, ghosts, chemtrails, etc.
Old September 1 2012, 03:42 AM   #159
The Castellan
Commodore

gturner wrote: View Post
Sure enough, Nye was followed as a guest by a paranormal investigator who wrote a book on time travel. Most guests on Coast to Coast AM believe some really, really weird things: Fairies, bigfoot, UFO's, ghosts, chemtrails, etc.
I don't see anything weird about 'em, just because it's not mainstream or anything.
Ya can't disporove 'em.
Plus I prefer listening to Coast to Coast than most radio shows, since most radio shows have obnovious hosts.
Old September 1 2012, 04:26 AM   #160
sojourner
Vice Admiral

You can't disprove unicorns either. Doesn't make them real.
Old September 4 2012, 09:20 AM   #161
Maurice
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The only thing I remember about humans is that we're getting taller, but that is more likely due to better nutrition than evolution.
We're not getting taller as a species.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 04:55 PM   #162
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

I'm a little late to the party, and I didn’t reed every post, there's a lot I could comment on, so sorry if this has already been said, but I'll just say the following and leave it at that (for now).

We need an educational system that that teaches kids HOW to think, not WHAT to think! This goes for evolution as well as creationism; the rest will take care of itself.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:13 PM   #163
Mars
Captain

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Schools are there to educate, not indoctrinate. It's fine to teach kids about religion--as in, "here's what this group of people believes"--but you cannot and do not teach religious dogma in place of scientific fact.

The world was not made in 6 days, the Earth is not 6000 years old, humans did not pop into existence when God made them. Evolution is a fact. I am sick to death of people acting like these things are opinions. They are not opinions, they are scientific facts, and if you choose not to accept them, you are unequivocally an idiot. You hate knowledge, you hate science, you hate having any understanding of reality. You've chosen to hide yourself under a veil of ignorant certainty, comforted by fairy tales because you're too weak to face reality.
What if it all was a simulation? if that was so, the Earth as we know it could be created in 6 days or less, depending on what software you had initially to create it with, the simulation could include such things as an imaginary past with dinosaur fossils, stars in the sky and more whenever people look further with a larger telescope, when looking through a microscope, appropriate things are created to be seen by the simulated human eye that is consistent with the world as we know know it.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 11:33 PM   #164
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Mars wrote: View Post
Schools are there to educate, not indoctrinate. It's fine to teach kids about religion--as in, "here's what this group of people believes"--but you cannot and do not teach religious dogma in place of scientific fact.

The world was not made in 6 days, the Earth is not 6000 years old, humans did not pop into existence when God made them. Evolution is a fact. I am sick to death of people acting like these things are opinions. They are not opinions, they are scientific facts, and if you choose not to accept them, you are unequivocally an idiot. You hate knowledge, you hate science, you hate having any understanding of reality. You've chosen to hide yourself under a veil of ignorant certainty, comforted by fairy tales because you're too weak to face reality.
What if it all was a simulation? if that was so, the Earth as we know it could be created in 6 days or less, depending on what software you had initially to create it with, the simulation could include such things as an imaginary past with dinosaur fossils, stars in the sky and more whenever people look further with a larger telescope, when looking through a microscope, appropriate things are created to be seen by the simulated human eye that is consistent with the world as we know know it.
So what?
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 12:13 AM   #165
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post

Why does it have to be a simulation? Why can't it be just reality?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote