RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,313
Posts: 5,352,284
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 550
Newest member: MAC5494

TrekToday headlines

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 31 2012, 08:37 AM   #181
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Ancient Aliens

Why do most of these arguments for ancient aliens boil down to "I'm too lazy to do that pyramid shit, therefore ancient man must have been too lazy, hence aliens"?
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:39 AM   #182
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Ancient Aliens

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
I applaud your use of Star Trek as evidence ancient aliens existed.
And I applaud that's all you seem to focus on from my post. Amazing how Trek fans really don't like the concept of aliens in any way, shape or form, unless it's some actor in a rubber mask or something.

All I said was that the ideas of humanity being influenced by aliens in the past was in it, since Trek had these ideas wanted to be expressed...from bigotry to warfare....same idea. I've read science fiction where the authors strongly expressed such ideas. Science fiction's a good median to do so....I mean stuff regarding Veitnam was a big no-no for TV in the 60's yet science fiction like Trek allowed the issue to be spoken of, even if it's regarding a fictious setting and time.
So ancient aliens had nothing to do but come here and move rocks for a bunch of stone age tribes?
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:44 AM   #183
The Castellan
Commodore
 
The Castellan's Avatar
 
Location: The Plains of Cydonia
Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Ancient Aliens

sojourner wrote: View Post
Why do most of these arguments for ancient aliens boil down to "I'm too lazy to do that pyramid shit, therefore ancient man must have been too lazy, hence aliens"?
Well, why are we not building megolithic structures now? And how come we can't do something folks did many thousands of years ago? There's no real scroll, tablet or anything that tells how they did it. And them going, "Let's build something as difficult as possible....and with mere copper tools and so on". I myself really want to know how stones 100's of tons in size were cut, moved, lifted and fitted so precisely. The Naysayers need to give 100% proof as well....they want 100% proof regarding aliens...it's a two way thing.


Why do many cultures speak of men from the stars (Sirius is mentioned quite a lot)? They were not idiots, you know.

Trek fans especially seem very, very uncomfortable with the idea with the idea of ancient aliens, or just aliens in general.....it's like if there's a remote possibility that there's something out there that could be like what they see on the tv screne could be happening, it really annoys them....and I have no clue as to why.
__________________
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:49 AM   #184
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Ancient Aliens

Empiricism is a bitch.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:52 AM   #185
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Ancient Aliens

The Castellan wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Why do most of these arguments for ancient aliens boil down to "I'm too lazy to do that pyramid shit, therefore ancient man must have been too lazy, hence aliens"?
Well, why are we not building megolithic structures now?
Uhh.. skyscrapers. Bridges. Massive dams.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:53 AM   #186
The Castellan
Commodore
 
The Castellan's Avatar
 
Location: The Plains of Cydonia
Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Ancient Aliens

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The Castellan wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
I applaud your use of Star Trek as evidence ancient aliens existed.
And I applaud that's all you seem to focus on from my post. Amazing how Trek fans really don't like the concept of aliens in any way, shape or form, unless it's some actor in a rubber mask or something.

All I said was that the ideas of humanity being influenced by aliens in the past was in it, since Trek had these ideas wanted to be expressed...from bigotry to warfare....same idea. I've read science fiction where the authors strongly expressed such ideas. Science fiction's a good median to do so....I mean stuff regarding Veitnam was a big no-no for TV in the 60's yet science fiction like Trek allowed the issue to be spoken of, even if it's regarding a fictious setting and time.
So ancient aliens had nothing to do but come here and move rocks for a bunch of stone age tribes?
Why not? We send folks to 3rd world countries to help feed, clothe, medicate and educate the folks there...could be something similar. I could envision aliens landing here, long ago and teaching the primative people how to build and do things....double it if the aliens might get something in return. It could be anything...when it comes to dealing with someone from another world...anything could happen, since their mentality might be completely different from us. Think of this, there might be aliens who are more humane than any human would hope to be. And I especially go with that since UFO sightings have been increasing, a lot, since we made atomic bombs. I've read about and listened to sightings where nuclear silos are essentially 'switched off' by objects that move with incredible speed and so on.

I've seen many weird objects in the sky that define explainations (most sightings out there can be explained, but 5% can not, and that 5% equels to thousands of signtings...that's a big number), and studied many odd things like crop circles, Cydonia, and so on....and the world's not like what ya see on Fox news, MSNBC, etc...which might upset folks, sci-fi geeks especially, it seems. And the fact that many folks do believe we are not alone and that we are being visited....more so in other countries like Russia, South America and so on.....it's not a subject one can merely laugh at and make cheesy captioned pictures for an infantile lol moment.
__________________
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:56 AM   #187
The Castellan
Commodore
 
The Castellan's Avatar
 
Location: The Plains of Cydonia
Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Ancient Aliens

teacake wrote: View Post
The Castellan wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Why do most of these arguments for ancient aliens boil down to "I'm too lazy to do that pyramid shit, therefore ancient man must have been too lazy, hence aliens"?
Well, why are we not building megolithic structures now?
Uhh.. skyscrapers. Bridges. Massive dams.

And none can stand the test of time....the pyramids of egypt, south america, etc...they've been abandoned for thousands of years and they are still there....and they have impressive mathematical measures and properties. All our modern stuff would be destoyed by nature in a very short time if abandoned. Plus they are no way as close in magitude as the ancient structures were....no artitect or engineer could make any of them today.
__________________
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:00 AM   #188
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Ancient Aliens

So, where does Atlantis fit into all this? Wouldn't some pre-cataclysmic advanced human civilization be more likely a helper of primitive cultures than some some wondering star travelers we've never met before or since?
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:03 AM   #189
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Ancient Aliens

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Trek fans especially seem very, very uncomfortable with the idea with the idea of ancient aliens, or just aliens in general.....it's like if there's a remote possibility that there's something out there that could be like what they see on the tv screne could be happening, it really annoys them....and I have no clue as to why.
I will tell you my story.

For years I had a phobia about aliens. Not a full blown diagnosable phobia but a big time freak out. They gave me the creeps. Not Vulcans mind you, REAL aliens. I remember when that book Communion by Strieber was in all the book shop windows, just the sight of it was like a cold and clammy fist clenching in my guts. My sister used to make fun of me about this, she would tease me that I could never go to Sedona.

I could not watch a whole lot of the X-files because of this. There is one X-files episode where they are trapped underground in a railway carriage? Or something, maybe bunkers.. and the whole bunker is stuffed with these disgusting creepy grey aliens like the Strieber cover. That was the single worst thing I had ever seen on television.

Anyway.. I didn't talk about this too much because people look at you like you're an idiot or say "but you like wookies" as if that is in any way the same thing. But years ago I was on a forum where this creepiness came up and I talked about my feelings of sickening horror at real aliens (which, btw, I fervently hoped were not actually real.) And this dude on the forum who was something of a guru for alternative ideas very sincerely explained to me that all these awful feelings plus a dream I had repeatedly from age 4 to 17 was ALL because I had been abducted. This was my PTSD residue.

And after hearing someone say that in complete seriousness, and elaborate on and on about it I lost all fear of the Communion face alien and now I just think they look retarded.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:03 AM   #190
The Castellan
Commodore
 
The Castellan's Avatar
 
Location: The Plains of Cydonia
Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Ancient Aliens

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
So, where does Atlantis fit into all this? Wouldn't some pre-cataclysmic advanced human civilization be more likely a helper of primitive cultures than some some wondering star travelers we've never met before or since?
How would it be any more believable than alien visitation?

And given the fact that many people seeing objects in the sky, that move in ways that accordign to physics sohuld not happen, something tells me they are still here.
__________________
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:06 AM   #191
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Ancient Aliens

The Castellan wrote: View Post
no artitect or engineer could make any of them today.
This is completely false. we could build exact replicas of any ancient monument with ease and much quicker than ancient man did. The only issue is getting someone to pay for it.

Do not belittle our ancestors by suggesting they were not able to construct these monuments on their own just because YOU can't. And don't try and belittle Star Trek fans because we require um, I don't know, scientific proof for extraordinary claims? Gee, what an idea, science fiction fans being big on science!

Ancient aliens has no more credibility than creationism.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:10 AM   #192
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Ancient Aliens

But we know today that there are many states of civilization, from hunter gather tribes still living in near stone age states, to the advanced cultures of Europe and North America. Why should humans have been any different before the last ice age? Some very advanced, enough so to be taken for gods by lesser cultures, like happened with the cargo cults of the Pacific in World War II.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:16 AM   #193
The Castellan
Commodore
 
The Castellan's Avatar
 
Location: The Plains of Cydonia
Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Ancient Aliens

teacake wrote: View Post
The Castellan wrote: View Post
Trek fans especially seem very, very uncomfortable with the idea with the idea of ancient aliens, or just aliens in general.....it's like if there's a remote possibility that there's something out there that could be like what they see on the tv screne could be happening, it really annoys them....and I have no clue as to why.
I will tell you my story.

For years I had a phobia about aliens. Not a full blown diagnosable phobia but a big time freak out. They gave me the creeps. Not Vulcans mind you, REAL aliens. I remember when that book Communion by Strieber was in all the book shop windows, just the sight of it was like a cold and clammy fist clenching in my guts. My sister used to make fun of me about this, she would tease me that I could never go to Sedona.

I could not watch a whole lot of the X-files because of this. There is one X-files episode where they are trapped underground in a railway carriage? Or something, maybe bunkers.. and the whole bunker is stuffed with these disgusting creepy grey aliens like the Strieber cover. That was the single worst thing I had ever seen on television.

Anyway.. I didn't talk about this too much because people look at you like you're an idiot or say "but you like wookies" as if that is in any way the same thing. But years ago I was on a forum where this creepiness came up and I talked about my feelings of sickening horror at real aliens (which, btw, I fervently hoped were not actually real.) And this dude on the forum who was something of a guru for alternative ideas very sincerely explained to me that all these awful feelings plus a dream I had repeatedly from age 4 to 17 was ALL because I had been abducted. This was my PTSD residue.

And after hearing someone say that in complete seriousness, and elaborate on and on about it I lost all fear of the Communion face alien and now I just think they look retarded.
Well, if you were abducted by aliens, there's nothing to be ashamed of....just because folks make Cartman jokes or whatever....guess what....those folks who make the jokes are often the ones plopped in front of the TV, melting thei brains with American Idol, TMZ, and Sunday afternoon football while stuffing partially hydrogenated soybean oil and monosodium glutimate into their pie holes. Same for those guys making Wookie jokes......that's like shit telling vomit it stinks.

Now, keep in mind I am sure there's good aliens, and then there's bad aliens....the anicent aliens show even goes over that topic. And not all abductions are bad, many folks also had good things come from it happening. Also, you mightbe scared for just fear of the unknown.....fear's the ultimiate poison....but it can be controlled.

Personally, I envy you and would LOVE to have the aliens come by and pay me a visit. In fact, I am planning to soon start designing my own Nazca line type picture on my property, and using mathematical and sacred geometry as a basis for it.

From my own studies, there's at least 100 different aliens stoping by here, and the greys are just one of those. There's no reason to fear....personally, I think they fear us more, because with all the bullshit we're using with the technology we got now, atomic weapons, and so on. We're like an axe murderer that stumbled upon a magic lamp and were offered 3 wishes....destruction and misery is something we humans are quite skilled at. I think they just don't want us to destroy ourselves and probably so we don't become the equivilent to Trek's Terren Empire....and Deckard, I am merely using that Trek reference as an example of what we might become one day, so there's need to to nitpick that reference, thank you.
__________________
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:29 AM   #194
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Ancient Aliens

Do you really expect a truly alien species, one that evolved completely independent of Earth would be in any way psychologically similar to us? Surely, a pre-ice age advanced civilization that left Earth for Mars and created Sidonia. Intermittently returning to Earth to help the lesser cultures and also evolving themselves over time to an outer space environment is more likely?
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:29 AM   #195
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Ancient Aliens

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Well, if you were abducted by aliens, there's nothing to be ashamed of....just because folks make Cartman jokes or whatever....guess what....those folks who make the jokes are often the ones plopped in front of the TV, melting thei brains with American Idol, TMZ, and Sunday afternoon football while stuffing partially hydrogenated soybean oil and monosodium glutimate into their pie holes.
I'm actually pretty fond of monosodium glutimate which was developed by the Japanese from seaweed. It's been demonized unfairly. Don't eat it if you fear it, but I find it quite buzzy myself.

Now, keep in mind I am sure there's good aliens, and then there's bad aliens....the anicent aliens show even goes over that topic. And not all abductions are bad, many folks also had good things come from it happening. Also, you mightbe scared for just fear of the unknown.....fear's the ultimiate poison....but it can be controlled.

Personally, I envy you and would LOVE to have the aliens come by and pay me a visit. In fact, I am planning to soon start designing my own Nazca line type picture on my property, and using mathematical and sacred geometry as a basis for it.
What good things have people had happen to them?

Wait, I already know the answer to that, I live in Hippy Country. Yeah yeah, messages of peace and good will about the coming third age of somethingorother.
From my own studies, there's at least 100 different aliens stoping by here, and the greys are just one of those.
Why would they want to come here if they have interstellar travel? We are dull.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.