Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 30 2012, 10:41 PM   #16
Photon
Commodore

Re: is star trek DS9 best star trek series

Xhiandra wrote: View Post
Personally, I'm torn on DS9.

On one hand, it is quite conflctual with Roddenberry's ideals.
On the other hand, there are quite a few good characters and stories in there, if you ignore the religious/anti-humanist propaganda (and the Bajorans).

DS9 is basically the converse of VOY: VOY tried to build upon TOS/TNG, but was poorly executed; DS9 deliberately went against TOS/TNG, but received such quality execution that it just cannot be overlooked.
In the end, it's not the best, it's not the worst; it's middle of the pack and, like all Trek series, has great episodes and terrible episodes.
if it was humanist and anti religion, the TNG should have been your fav show of all time. And you should erect a shrine to Jean Luc.

I despise TNG's preachiness.
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 10:43 PM   #17
Photon
Commodore

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Although it has some great moments, DS9 is my least favourite Trek. It's just so.... drab. And brown.

And the Bajorans. Ugh.
Ooops, racist statement.....
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 11:14 PM   #18
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

I think DS9 is the best Trek series

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 05:02 PM   #19
Jaro Stun
Captain

Yes
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 05:09 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Photon wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Although it has some great moments, DS9 is my least favourite Trek. It's just so.... drab. And brown.

And the Bajorans. Ugh.
Ooops, racist statement.....
I meant the sets, costumes and station!!!
Old September 9 2012, 06:44 AM   #21
Diogenes5
Ensign

Deep Space Nine is a different series and will be divisive because of that. Most people are star trek fans either because of TOS or TNG. Deep Space Nine deviates very much from the formula each of those two shows had.

I find Deep Space Nine easiest to love because the characters are so real and grow over time unlike either of those other shows. It is frustrating to watch TNG and see people constantly stand in place with regards to relationships and character flaws.

Deep Space Nine has it where everyone is constantly changing and growing which makes it a much better watching experience for some people.

I do agree that the Bajoran element was always annoying to me and a reason the show never caught on with me. DS9 was stuck in TNG's shadow its first 2 years and did too many things just to be different or strike itself out on its own from TNG. Having Bajorans on so that there could be conflict between characters seems a little silly today especially given the fact that Bajorans are a pretty boring people.

But Deep Space Nine at its best, with its continuous plot, character development and nuanced characterizations was better (IMO) than anything Star trek has offered before or since.
Diogenes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2012, 10:36 PM   #22
Neutral Zone
Captain

At heart I'm a TOS fan, probably because of my age but DS9 is a great series and would never call it the worst - sadly Enterprise holds that place.
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 04:03 AM   #23
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

DS9 is my favorite Trek and I think the best of all the spinoffs because it's the most human. I get the argument that some fans state they dislike how DS9 went against Gene Roddenberry's utopian views of Trek and yes it did, but personally I like the writer's view that yes Earth is a paradise but the rest of the universe is not.

Why DS9 is so successful for me is that it, as spinoffs should, dared to be something different than what had come before it. It took some big risks some of which worked and some that didn't. This to me why Voyager failed in my book instead of trying to be its own thing, Voyager decided to become TNG Part 2 (and of lower quality than TNG was). And ENT don't get me started.

I also think out of the 90s era of Trek, DS9 has aged the best. Partly because the topics the show covered (war, religion and terrorism) are very relevant in our post 9/11 world. Voyager, which has great FX, to me felt dated and old when it the episodes were new.

That's my two cents.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 04:51 AM   #24
Shanndee
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
Some people do think DS9 is a "betrayal" of Roddenberry's vision of Star Trek and don't give it the time of day. That's their opinion.

I personally think it's the best of all the Trek series. There's drama, conflict and the human condition is really explored in a way that none of the other series do. To say nothing of excellent story arcs and character devolopment. Just watch Emissary and What you Leave Behind back to back for a reminder of how everyone really changed and grew over those seven years.
I agree with this 100%. For me, this show was all about the character development. This show also had an amazing cast of supporting characters that gave the series a depth I didn't feel in other shows. My favourite series by far!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 05:35 AM   #25
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The stupid vision needed to get betrayed. Onwards and inwards, enough with evolved humanity.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:00 AM   #26
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

It's only second best. Enterprise is third. TNG is fourth and VOY fifth. Guess you know which one is first.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 06:09 AM   #27
Dream
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
The stupid vision needed to get betrayed. Onwards and inwards, enough with evolved humanity.
That 'stupid' vision is the reason why TOS and TNG are still the most popular Trek shows.
Old September 10 2012, 07:19 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think that's more a matter of demographics. Not that I don't begrudge any of them hitting a peak of popularity, but stuff needed to change. It didn't change all that much in DS9 but it did take a somewhat different direction and that's greatly enriched the franchise.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2012, 07:51 AM   #29
Mage
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
That 'stupid' vision is the reason why TOS and TNG are still the most popular Trek shows.

In your opinion, which isn't fact.

DS9 is, in my opinion but not fact, the best of Trek. Because, even though the Utopian society Gene created was shown to have some flaws (as it would in real life anyway) it was far more a mirror to society like TOS was, then any other Trek show.

Thinking that DS9 betrayed Gene's vision is something I can't agree with. Gene wanted Trek to show the things that were wrong in our society, in a tv show where humans had evolved past such behaviour. The thing is, not ALL humans will 'evolve' like that. Some people will make the same mistakes we are making now. DS9 showed not only this, but also people better then that. Meaning it showed us not only what we could be, but at the same time gave a good example of what we need to leave behind.
Old September 15 2012, 02:00 AM   #30
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

It's my favorite Trek series hands down, and yes, I do agree that it is not within Rodenberry's vision, but I'll go ahead and say it. I don't care about Rodenberry's vision. I watch TV to be entertained, and DS9 does that more than any other Trek series.
The characters grow over the course of the series, their actions (usually) have consequences, and plot points don't just drop when the episode is over.