Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 30 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Balrog
Commodore

Rumor: Trek 2013 tidbit

Thanks to my other hobby, Hot Wheels collecting, this little bit of news leaked out at the Hot Wheels Collector message board:

Star Trek 1/50 Scale - Star Trek collector ship series to include 2013 New Movie Ship, USS Exclsior NCC-2000 and the new 2013 Klingon Battle Cruiser from the new movie.

I'm sure not many people saw this last part as being a big deal, but it may be...
Old August 30 2012, 10:01 PM   #2
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Rumor: Trek 2013 tidbit

I imagine there'll be a few here interested in hearing further news about that.
Old August 30 2012, 10:23 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The Excesior?? Isnt that, like, 30 years early in-universe?

Does that mean Peter Weller is Captain Styles?? He is said to have taken a photo of his daughter in the captain's chair of "his" ship.

I hope they reuse the Klingon Warbirds from STXI's Kobayashi Maru. They looked really cool.
Old August 30 2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
The Excesior?? Isnt that, like, 30 years early in-universe?
No, I think the collector series probably includes ships from multiple eras of Trek. Since two of the ships mentioned in that sentence are separately specified as being from the new 2013 movie, that probably means the Excelsior, which doesn't get that specification, is not from the new movie but is the familiar one from ST III/VI.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Admiral

Oh, I took it to mean the 2013 new movie ship WAS the Excelsior. As in, clarifying it was a new version.

I think I misunderstood.
Old August 30 2012, 11:02 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Lloyd Dobler wrote: View Post
Thanks to my other hobby, Hot Wheels collecting, this little bit of news leaked out at the Hot Wheels Collector message board:

Star Trek 1/50 Scale - Star Trek collector ship series to include 2013 New Movie Ship, USS Exclsior NCC-2000 and the new 2013 Klingon Battle Cruiser from the new movie.

I'm sure not many people saw this last part as being a big deal, but it may be...
Doesn't mean the Klingon ship plays any bigger part in the new movie than it did in the last movie.
Old August 30 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Toy tie-ins can be tricky. I remember the toy line for the first GHOST RIDER movie included villains (like the Scarecrow) who never appeared in the movie.

Heck, the toys for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES include a Batmobile, even though that car was blown up in the previous film!
Old August 30 2012, 11:09 PM   #8
captainkirk
Commander

I'm betting that Joseph Gatt is a Klingon.
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Admiral

If I recall correctly, it was a toy fair or catalogue or something that gave us our first look at the Narada - albeit in a toy that was never actually released!
Old August 30 2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

A digression: the cover art for a GARGANTUA novelization I edited years ago was actually based on packaging for a toy line that never happened!

For those that don't recall, GARGANTUA was a GODZILLA knockoff Fox aired back around the time of the big GODZILLA remake. Yes, there was a novelization, written (under a pseudonym) by our own Keith DeCandido!

It seemed like a good idea at the time . . .
Old August 30 2012, 11:46 PM   #11
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

Will these Hot Wheels ships be around the same size as the ones released during the last movie?

Just curious.....
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 12:28 AM   #12
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Dantheman wrote: View Post
Will these Hot Wheels ships be around the same size as the ones released during the last movie?

Just curious.....
IIRC, those were also sold as "1/50 scale" (or 1:50) so these will probably be about the same size.

http://www.toywiz.com/startrek150.html
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Hot_Wheels
Old August 31 2012, 12:48 AM   #13
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
A digression: the cover art for a GARGANTUA novelization I edited years ago was actually based on packaging for a toy line that never happened!

For those that don't recall, GARGANTUA was a GODZILLA knockoff Fox aired back around the time of the big GODZILLA remake. Yes, there was a novelization, written (under a pseudonym) by our own Keith DeCandido!

Sounds great to me - why let the art go to waste if it's a perfect fit for the novel?
Old August 31 2012, 12:59 AM   #14
Gojira
Commodore

Sorry for going off topic...I love Godzilla and the Gargantuas...can you tell? What was the name of the Novilization? I would love to read it. Shoot me a PM if you don't want to continue derailing the thread further.
Old August 31 2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post

Sorry for going off topic...I love Godzilla and the Gargantuas...can you tell? What was the name of the Novilization? I would love to read it. Shoot me a PM if you don't want to continue derailing the thread further.
The book was titled GARGANTUA and it had nothing to with the big shaggy creatures from the Japanese films. It was a tv-movie starring Adam Baldwin of all people that aired on Fox the week the GODZILLA remake opened.

The author was "K. Robert Andreassi."