Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 28 2012, 04:35 PM   #46
XFozzboute
Commander

View XFozzboute's Twitter Profile
Re: Perfect example of what they SHOULD have done with the TNG-R FX

I know the guy who did these animations and he's trying to replicate the originals as much as he can and not change things too much. And his renders are done with 3D Studio Max.
Old August 28 2012, 04:43 PM   #47
Christopher
Writer

^Okay, then that just confounds my confusion. What was it that the original poster thought was different/better about this?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 06:41 PM   #48
ichab
Commodore

No thanks. I'm frankly a little tired of people trying to change the classics. I don't mind what's being done to TNG, but anything beyond that shouldn't be done.

This all reminds me of the big fad some years ago to colorize black and white movies. Just leave them alone already.
Old August 28 2012, 06:44 PM   #49
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

i want minimal new CGI, its fine as it is.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 07:37 PM   #50
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Okay, then that just confounds my confusion. What was it that the original poster thought was different/better about this?
I'm honestly not sure.

Comparing it to the original scene, the only two shots in which angles, motion, etc. are changed in any significant way are

A) the very beginning, when the Ent-D swings around to face the oncoming Klingon ships, and
B) the "Continuous fire, all phasers" bit; the ship has more visible forward momentum in the CG version, and tilts upward more.

That said, other than the addition of debris when the BoP goes boom, the difference is pretty slight, if you ask me. I do think that the CG version of scene A is pretty cool; I like how we get to see the Ent-D pass all the way by, but I'm really not seeing this supposed massive improvement in ship choreography. It's a very minimal difference.

As to the quality of the CG: I don't think it's fair to bash it for not looking as good as the remastered model work in the show, but then, I don't really see anyone in this thread DOING that. Considering that it's fan-made, it's actually quite good for the most part (though not the best fan-made CG I've ever seen; that honor goes to Romulan Ale). The main flaw I see in it is that the phasers are a little dodgy.

Just so it's known where I'm coming from here, I'm a huge fan of good CG work; I bristle a bit when encountering what I perceive to be a knee-jerk "CG is bad/lifeless/lazy/etc" mindset. For certain productions, it's the perfect way to do visuals, and can look amazing when done well. I don't consider it any more or less "valid" than other, more traditional, effects tech; it's all in how you use it.

But TNG isn't one of those productions that would really benefit, unless one WERE trying to do a complete overhaul of all the visuals and redo them from scratch, which clearly isn't the case with the TNG HD releases. The whole idea is to make it look like the original, but better/in high-def, so I agree that restoration without alteration is the way to go.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 08:15 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

^Okay, thanks. Maybe the OP misremembered the FX in the original as being more static or simple than they actually were.

There is some CGI in the remastered TNG. They can remaster and recomposite the original film elements of ship miniatures and the like, but a number of things in the original, like planets, phaser beams, the Crystalline Entity, and such, were created using video effects or early CGI and only exist in low-resolution form. So they did have to be recreated from scratch, and what they did with the planets was similar to what they did in TOS-R: maintaining the same basic aesthetic as the original planets, but with more detail and realism.

Old August 28 2012, 09:13 PM   #52
marksound
Fleet Captain

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
old people ...
You should respect "old people" because you might live to be one someday and then you'll have to listen to all the disrespectful young punks bitching and moaning about how stupid old people are and you'll yell at them to get off your lawn ... I can almost guarantee it.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 09:33 PM   #53
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
ITT old people moan about CGI....and how it was better in the olden days when models were used...
Tell that to VFX guys, as they still choose real models over CGI at times.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 10:21 PM   #54
Dukhat
Commodore

When it was confirmed that they'd be doing TNG-R, I was initially hoping that they'd redo all the ship shots with CGI if only to create different and newer designs than the old movie models that they were forced to reuse because of budgetary concerns. Case in point with "Yesterday's Enterprise" and the "K'Vort class battlecruisers," which were just unrealistically upscaled BoPs. They hadn't yet built the Vorcha model, which is most likely what they would have used if they had it.

However, seeing as how fantastic S1 looks, I've changed my tune. I would much prefer the model shots in HD instead of CGI replacements.
Old August 30 2012, 10:24 PM   #55
Christopher
Writer

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Case in point with "Yesterday's Enterprise" and the "K'Vort class battlecruisers," which were just unrealistically upscaled BoPs. They hadn't yet built the Vorcha model, which is most likely what they would have used if they had it.
If they wanted Klingon battlecruisers, I don't know why they didn't just use the lovely K'tinga-class miniature instead of the ugly, wrong-sized BoP.

Old August 30 2012, 11:02 PM   #56
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I heard rumors that the Ktinga model had been damaged after TMP and wasn't repaired until TUC, which might explain why TNG didn't use it in this episode. I'll try to remember to ask Bill George about this next time I see him.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 11:08 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

Hmm, yeah, I guess the footage of it in "Heart of Glory" and "The Emissary" was stock from TMP.

Old August 30 2012, 11:50 PM   #58
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I can't picture Yesterday's Enterprise with Vor'chas...anyone know some CGI? lol
Old August 30 2012, 11:55 PM   #59
davejames
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
If they wanted Klingon battlecruisers, I don't know why they didn't just use the lovely K'tinga-class miniature instead of the ugly, wrong-sized BoP.
"Ugly"? I thought fans pretty much all loved the BoP.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 12:10 AM   #60
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
"Ugly"? I thought fans pretty much all loved the BoP.
I think it's an eyesore. Really, I don't much care for any Klingon ship designs aside from Jefferies's D7 and its very faithful K'tinga counterpart (which is virtually identical in shape, just more detailed). Jefferies's design looks like a dragon in flight, elegantly menacing. The Bird of Prey was consciously designed to suggest a football linebacker when seen from the front -- just bulk and brute force, all the elegance lost. Not to mention that it doesn't really work as a Trek-universe design because it doesn't have any recognizable engine nacelles. (Well, okay, we've seen more nacelle-less warp ships since then, but none of them were Klingon.) And all the TNG-era Klingon ships were blocky and angular and covered with kitbashy surface detail, and the sleek simplicity and grace of Jefferies's design was long gone.