RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 668
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 28 2012, 11:59 PM   #121
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Re: Is the Federation a True Democracy? And How Did It Reach That Poin

One thing that is unique to the US implementation is the limitations inherent in the Federal Constitution.

The Federal Government has specific rights that are enumerated in the Constitution, and anything else is literally reserved for the States and the People.

This means that the people will never be subservient to the Federal Government.

Old Blighty doesn't have that feature.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 12:28 AM   #122
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Locked into only a two party system, there is often no need for compromise or coalitions.
Well in some ways both the Republican and the Democratic parties are political coalitions. Compromise is necessary to hold the parties together.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 12:44 AM   #123
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Locked into only a two party system, there is often no need for compromise or coalitions.
Well in some ways both the Republican and the Democratic parties are political coalitions. Compromise is necessary to hold the parties together.

Yea, but, what they compromise on is Gaming the System, to keep others locked out, and you have to bow to the Establishment to get in.

Plus, when it comes to donors, many of them are the same donors on both sides of the aisle, so they serve those masters, rather than "We The People", because we have no choice but those two choices (True, it's better than no Choice, but, an Environment friendlier to Indpendents' chances would be an improvement, IMHO)

A Bi-Partisan Bill is often one that provides a Sweetheart Deal for a Corporate Interest who donates to Both Parties

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 12:50 AM   #124
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

There is no way to ever avoid deal making or bargains in any system where negotiation or compromize is involved.

It's part of the price we pay for freedom.

It is also a byproduct of the fact that the House or the Senate have to get agreement on something for a law to pass.

Either representatives have the ability to argue and bargain to hopefully arrive at a good solution to a problem, or we have a dictatorship.

The failings and virtues of any representative government are inherent in the freedom of choice.
Old August 29 2012, 05:00 PM   #125
MacLeod
Admiral

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
One thing that is unique to the US implementation is the limitations inherent in the Federal Constitution.

The Federal Government has specific rights that are enumerated in the Constitution, and anything else is literally reserved for the States and the People.

Really, just because they don't exist in the form of a written consitution doesn't mean they don't exist in some form or another in one of the many laws that have been passed throughout the centuries.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 06:37 PM   #126
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Really, just because they don't exist in the form of a written consitution doesn't mean they don't exist in some form or another in one of the many laws that have been passed throughout the centuries.
If they are not written into the constitution, they can theoretically be changed.

There is no constitutional protection in any other constitution I can think of.

The protections in law, and external to the constitutional framework, are a happy evolution of the democratic process, rather than a feature of the system in place.
Old August 30 2012, 12:45 AM   #127
MacLeod
Admiral

Can't a constitution be changed/ammeneded/altered etc... ?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old August 30 2012, 01:09 AM   #128
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

In most cases, not without revolution. The US is different in this regard, in that the methodology to change the Constitution is part of it's design (Amendment process).

But it requires pretty monumental hurdles to be overcome, far beyond quietly changing laws via routine votes.
Old August 30 2012, 10:22 AM   #129
MacLeod
Admiral

^But the point is constitutions like a law can be changed, the exact mechanics of how it can be changed is a different issue. My point was that a constitution should not be set in stone and should grow and evolve to allow for changes in soceity/technology over the decades and centuries since it was written. After all what was acceptable 200 years ago might not be acceptable today.
Old August 30 2012, 12:24 PM   #130
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

In most cases, not without revolution. The US is different in this regard, in that the methodology to change the Constitution is part of it's design (Amendment process).

But it requires pretty monumental hurdles to be overcome, far beyond quietly changing laws via routine votes.
That's funny.

A cursory search reveals that, besides the United States, the following countries have amended their respective constitutions: Ireland, India, Canada, Australia (in the form of referenda), Russia, Italy, Turkey, Norway, Brazil, and I think I'll just stop looking right there because it's now become increasingly clear that you're probably wrong about this.
Old August 30 2012, 06:55 PM   #131
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I stand corrected on the ability to change a constitution, but I stand by the assertion that changing a Constitution is more difficult than changing laws.
Old August 30 2012, 06:57 PM   #132
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I stand corrected on the ability to change a constitution, but I stand by the assertion that changing a Constitution is more difficult than changing laws.
I won't argue with that.
Old August 30 2012, 06:58 PM   #133
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

So how many other Constitutions place significant limits on the powers of the Government?
Old August 30 2012, 11:59 PM   #134
MacLeod
Admiral

Perhaps how easy or hard it is depends on the constitution in question. Some might be easier to change than others. So yes some specific consitutions could be harder to change whilst others are easier to change.
Old August 31 2012, 12:20 AM   #135
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Perhaps how easy or hard it is depends on the constitution in question. Some might be easier to change than others. So yes some specific consitutions could be harder to change whilst others are easier to change.
If it's too easy to change a Constitution, then that Constitution becomes too vulterable to mob rule, or political fads of the day.

It SHOULD be hard, but it should be possible, ideally, when it really matters.