Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Hayley Williams
Thumbs Up 51 64.56%
Thumbs Down 9 11.39%
Thumbs Sideways 19 24.05%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 26 2012, 01:15 PM   #76
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: Hayley Williams: Babe of the week #35 (Aug. 2012)

The thing I always thought about Hayley Williams was that she was completely wasted in Paramore, a mediocre-at-best, artificially 'edgy' band who have no song writing ability whatsoever. Williams, as she has demonstrated when left to sing essentially by herself (such as the perfectly titled 'The Only Exception' and her appearance on 'Airplanes'), is very talented, and I really feel she deserves better than to spend her career doing teen movie soundtracks through her 'quirky' orange microphone. A very good example of a talent held back by their bandmates and the 'genre' they've been given.
Old August 26 2012, 01:48 PM   #77
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
The thing I always thought about Hayley Williams was that she was completely wasted in Paramore, a mediocre-at-best, artificially 'edgy' band who have no song writing ability whatsoever. Williams, as she has demonstrated when left to sing essentially by herself (such as the perfectly titled 'The Only Exception' and her appearance on 'Airplanes'), is very talented, and I really feel she deserves better than to spend her career doing teen movie soundtracks through her 'quirky' orange microphone. A very good example of a talent held back by their bandmates and the 'genre' they've been given.
Actually it's just that they provided two songs for Twillight (Decode brought the breakthrough to mainstream music) and they refused offers to make soundtrack music for the subsequent films for fear of being labelled a teenager band.

Who can say what the real deal is nowadays? The music industry has gotten really good in covering all variations of music and even those who want their music edgy, non-conformist and above all non-mainstream are actually brought into the fold (if they know it or not). If that is the case with Paramore and they are indeed a designed product to appeal to a certain audience i don't care.. i like their music and the live shows are good as well (without the choreographed dance routines and oversexed style of people like Rihanna, Britney Spears or the million others).
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 03:03 PM   #78
Ethros
Vice Admiral

The only thing about Hayley Williams is I never get why she always sings into a carrot
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 04:14 PM   #79
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
The only thing about Hayley Williams is I never get why she always sings into a carrot
Better sound than a banana?
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:55 PM   #80
MNM
Captain

She's nice enough I suppose. But I cant get past how crap I thought Paramore were when I saw them in concert last year. So sideways I guess.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 10:03 PM   #81
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

I'm still confused as to how I should comment here.

I wanted to say something about the music, and that I'm unimpressed by Paramore. Yes, they have a few catchy songs that you can't help but enjoy listening to, so I can't really say they are a bad band, but I wouldn't deliberately go and listen to them. On YouTube you can find loads of 15 year olds who put the entirety of band to shame. Except for a few interesting moments here and there, I find them mostly mediocre and bland. And on top of it, I know people who listen to them solely because they find Hayley cute, which kinda irritates me. I would opt out for something more exciting to the ear, and would like to hear something that actually surprises me.

Then, I looked at the vote results here, and I felt bad. She is a talented person, even if I don't like her music much and blah blah blah, she has a future as a singer, and even when it comes to looks, yup, she is pretty. I definitely don't see her as something less than Lucy Pinder. Demoting people with talent doesn't sit well with me. Especially for looks that they do have. These polls are totally fucked up.
Old August 27 2012, 02:04 AM   #82
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I basically agree, though I do have a generally more favorable opinion of Paramore.
Old August 28 2012, 04:46 PM   #83
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
In this shot, she kind of looks like a young Bette Midler. Couldn't help but think that the other day.

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Darth Duck wrote: View Post
I did so very much like B.o.B.'s "Airplanes" that she did some vocals on.
This!
Kestrel wrote: View Post
I totally forgot about that song. It's another good one, especially her part. Thanks to this thread, she's coming off as a more versatile singer than I thought.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 09:34 PM   #84
cultcross
Say my name...

Another example of what I mean by 'constrained by genre':

When not doing a badly written 'punk' song: really impressive.
Old August 29 2012, 12:34 AM   #85
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Yeah, nicely done for sure. Normally I'm not a big fan of singers leaving their bands and striking out on their own (*coughGwenStefanicough*), but maybe Paramore should retool their sound. Assuming they're still making new music?
Old August 29 2012, 01:06 AM   #86
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I was never under the impression that Gwen formally quit No Doubt to do solo stuff, though maybe I'm wrong on that. I recall her saying before that there was no truth to claims the band had broken up or anything, she simply wanted to branch out in addition to continuing with them.

I have no familiarity with Paramore or Hayley, but am I wrong for saying she reminds me of Karie Byron from Mythbusters?

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 11:59 PM   #87
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Could be, yeah. I guess you're right that they never did formally break up, and they just put out a new album this year, right? And not like I ever heard them say anything bad about her, or vice versa.
Old August 30 2012, 08:00 AM   #88
Aragorn
Admiral

Hint for the next BOTW (no direct answers):

Steffy and her twin sister Phoebe are the daughters of Ridge and Taylor. Taylor suffered from tuberculosis during the pregnancy, but survived the complicated delivery. Steffy was named after her grandmother Stephanie.

During a family boat trip, two-year-old Steffy fell overboard during stormy weather and was presumed eaten by sharks. However, Steffy turned up weeks later at Morgan DeWitt's house. Morgan, an old flame of Ridge's who desperately wanted to have his child, had kidnapped her and was holding her captive. Taylor grew suspicious of Morgan and was shocked to discover Steffy in her house. As Taylor was about to take her daughter home, Morgan returned and held them both captive. Ridge eventually saved his wife and child by driving his car through Morgan's house as she was about to shoot Taylor. Morgan was eventually committed to a psychiatric institution.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 08:43 AM   #89
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

OOOOOOoooo

my god

OOOOOoooooooo

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 09:49 AM   #90
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

That could be practically anybody.