Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 30 2012, 01:33 AM   #46
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

DWF wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Also, Ms./Captain Marvel is a Superman-level character power-wise, so it'd be hard to do her justice on a TV budget, and I wouldn't want to see her powers toned down. I'm hoping she'll show up in the movies, but I'm pretty sure a SHIELD TV series would deliberately focus on more normal, human characters. (Which is why I'm thinking Mockingbird for the female lead.)
She's not that powerful and she's not Binary anymore of course she's not a SHIELD agent anymore either.
According to the tag line on her comic, she is "Earth's Mightiest Hero".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 01:34 AM   #47
Dream
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Carol Danvers should be played by Caroline Dhavernas, just for name synchronicity. (Kinda like when Alan Doyle played Alan A'Dayle in Ridley Scott's Robin Hood adaptation.)
Too old.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 01:35 AM   #48
The Wormhole
Admiral

Which, really is the only way such a shows could be done to avoid interfering with The Aveangers sequel, plus the upcoming sequels for the other movis which contributed to The Avengers, some of which (particularly Iron Man and Thor) are likely to feature SHIELD.
Old August 30 2012, 01:52 AM   #49
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Dream wrote: View Post
Carol Danvers should be played by Caroline Dhavernas, just for name synchronicity. (Kinda like when Alan Doyle played Alan A'Dayle in Ridley Scott's Robin Hood adaptation.)
Too old.
Which, the actress or my continuing fascination with the short-runned, long-cancelled Wonderfalls?
Old August 30 2012, 01:58 AM   #50
Christopher
Writer

Dhavernas is 34, only three years older than Dushku. Hardly seems too old to play an Air Force major.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 02:10 AM   #51
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I still think Jeri Ryan could pull off Carol Danvers Saw her on Leverage, she's still pretty frickin' hot. Although I suppose I could see THIS happening.

"Hey Jeri, here's your Ms. Marvel costume." holds out the spandex outfit with high heeled boots.

"Oh hell no." :walks off set.: :Walks back ON set: "How much did you say you were going to pay me?"
Old August 30 2012, 02:32 AM   #52
Dream
Admiral

Too old.
Which, the actress or my continuing fascination with the short-runned, long-cancelled Wonderfalls?
Both.

Also people need to give up on the hope that Whedon is going to fill the entire cast of this show or Avengers 2 with actors from his previous efforts like Firefly or Dollhouse.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 02:34 AM   #53
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I would be disappointed if he didn't use a couple of them in some capacity, though. People are fans of his stable of actors for a reason: They're awesome.
Old August 30 2012, 02:57 AM   #54
DWF
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Also, Ms./Captain Marvel is a Superman-level character power-wise, so it'd be hard to do her justice on a TV budget, and I wouldn't want to see her powers toned down. I'm hoping she'll show up in the movies, but I'm pretty sure a SHIELD TV series would deliberately focus on more normal, human characters. (Which is why I'm thinking Mockingbird for the female lead.)
She's not that powerful and she's not Binary anymore of course she's not a SHIELD agent anymore either.
She-Hulk and Moonstone might disagree with that.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 02:58 AM   #55
Christopher
Writer

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
I still think Jeri Ryan could pull off Carol Danvers Saw her on Leverage, she's still pretty frickin' hot.
She's a little past the age to play a superhero, but yeah, she would've been a great choice in her prime. (I also realized recently that she looks almost exactly like She-Ra, Princess of Power. A shame they didn't do a live-action She-Ra movie ten years ago.)

Although I suppose I could see THIS happening.

"Hey Jeri, here's your Ms. Marvel costume." holds out the spandex outfit with high heeled boots.

"Oh hell no." :walks off set.: :Walks back ON set: "How much did you say you were going to pay me?"
Well, they should use her new Captain Marvel costume, which is a lot more practical and classy than the bathing-suit-and-sash thingy, actually looking like something a military officer would be willing to wear.

Also people need to give up on the hope that Whedon is going to fill the entire cast of this show or Avengers 2 with actors from his previous efforts like Firefly or Dollhouse.
Not the entire cast, of course; each new series he's done has added more awesome actors to the stable of Whedon vets. But most filmmakers and TV producers have actors they return to over and over because they work well together. There are a lot of repeat Whedon performers -- Eliza Dushku, Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof, Adam Baldwin, Gina Torres, Nathan Fillion, Summer Glau, Alan Tudyk, Mark Sheppard (although that hardly counts, since everyone uses him every chance they get). I'm sure he'll pick the best cast for this project, as he always does, and won't just populate it with familiar faces; Firefly's regulars included four actors who'd been guests on Buffy or Angel, three of whom had played recurring roles, but Dollhouse's regular cast was all-new except for Dushku, though it included prominent guests such as Acker, Denisof, and Tudyk. Denisof was also in The Avengers -- he played Loki's Chitauri "handler," so his was both the first and last voice heard in the film, I believe -- and Whedon vets Enver Gjokaj and Ashley Johnson had bit parts in it.

So yeah, we'll see new faces, but we'll probably see familiar ones too, at least as guests.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 03:01 AM   #56
DWF
Vice Admiral

Somehow I doubt if any superpowered SHIELD agents will be on the show as regular.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 04:48 AM   #57
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

She-Hulk and Moonstone might disagree with that.
They aren't being pushed as Marvel's premier heroine.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 06:43 AM   #58
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Firefly's regulars included four actors who'd been guests on Buffy or Angel, three of whom had played recurring roles...
Actually, I think it's the other way around, at least with three of them. Summer Glau of course had a guest episode prior, but I think Nathan Fillion and Gina Torres' recurring roles came after Firefly - late in Seasons 7 and 4 of Buffy and Angel respectively. Adam Baldwin's role on Angel Season 5 definitely came afterwards.
Old August 30 2012, 07:04 AM   #59
Skywalker
Admiral

Although it is interesting to note that Nathan Fillion did audition for the role of Angel in Buffy's early days. He didn't get far enough along to even meet Whedon, though.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 07:14 AM   #60
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Cool news. Depending on the focus and who gets cast, I'll be interested in watching this. I do wonder if SLJ will be involved any way despite the show being "autonomous."

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote