RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,717
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 615
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 5 2012, 11:54 AM   #331
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Oh, Tarzan definitely qualifies as fantasy/SF -- at least the original books do, with apes having their own languages, all sorts of lost civilizations and tribes of man-apes, etc. The movies have fewer of those elements, but their treatment of a feral human raised by apes is no doubt pretty fanciful -- and the supposed "jungles of Africa" that he operates in don't really correspond to anything in reality. (There's a relatively small amount of tropical rainforest in west/central Africa, but what Burroughs described was more like the South American rainforest, IIRC.)

A while back there was a TV show called Tarzan: The Epic Adventures that was filmed in South Africa, and there was a pretty blatant mismatch between the fake jungle set on the soundstage and the real African savannah of the location shooting, supposedly within walking distance of each other in story terms.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 01:45 AM   #332
Christopher
Writer

Klaus wrote: View Post
Saturday 8/11 James Mason
5:30 PM Journey to the Center of the Earth (’59)
I just caught this one. Haven't seen it in a long time. I wasn't sure I wanted to revisit it, but it's actually a pretty good movie, if you can tolerate the musical numbers from Pat Boone, the barely-attempted "Scottish" accents, and the very weak acting from Diane Baker in a role that becomes quite minor after the first act. The script is good, with some clever dialogue, and James Mason and Arlene Dahl are strong leads. There's not a lot of scientific credibility in the story, yet there's some excellent dialogue about how science works as a discipline and why it's important to explore the unknown.

And of course the "Dimetrodon" iguanas with glued-on sails were a cheesy blast of nostalgia from my childhood. Plus I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that the film never made the mistake of referring to Dimetrodon as a species of dinosaur. (It actually predated the dinosaurs by 30 million years and belonged to the synapsids, the category of animal from which mammals descended, rather than reptiles.)

The next couple of weeks on TCM seem to be devoid of anything in the SF/fantasy area. The only things I can find with even peripheral genre interest are:

Requiem for a Heavyweight, Mon. Aug. 20, 10:45 AM: Written by Rod Serling
The Three Musketeers (1948), Tue. 8/21, 10:30 AM: If Robin Hood counts as a "superhero," maybe the Musketeers do?
Inherit the Wind, Wed. 8/22, 2 AM: Not science fiction, but it's about science and society.

Old August 12 2012, 04:56 AM   #333
sojourner
Admiral

TCM is probably laying off the genre stuff until the Halloween season kicks in.
Old August 12 2012, 09:28 AM   #334
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

It seems to me that I saw Journey To The Center Of The Earth not too long ago. It's a great movie. Pure fantasy, but there's nothing wrong with that. You can't go wrong with underground oceans, giant monsters and ancient ruins.
Old August 12 2012, 03:05 PM   #335
Christopher
Writer

But that's what's interesting about it -- that a "pure fantasy" movie that was so bad with the factual details of science could get it so very right when talking about the philosophy of science and the methodology of the scientist.

Old August 12 2012, 07:20 PM   #336
RJDiogenes

Yeah, that's an interesting juxtaposition. Of course, when the original novel was written it was probably not considered quite so way out. And the confident talk of scientific methodology probably contributes to the willing suspension of disbelief. Or maybe people just wanted to see the monsters.
Old August 12 2012, 07:33 PM   #337
Christopher
Writer

Well, I don't expect the average moviegoer to geek out over positive affirmations of the power of science and discovery the way I would.

Old August 13 2012, 02:54 AM   #338
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Here's a present for you then...

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 09:27 AM   #339
RJDiogenes

I think I'll go with "All the universe."
Old August 29 2012, 05:15 PM   #340
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) is on tonight at 8PM EST.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 05:41 PM   #341
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) is on tonight at 8PM EST.
Thanks for the alert, although I prefer the Fredric March version.
Old August 29 2012, 06:58 PM   #342
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Something about Tracy as a monster just doesn't compute...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 11:17 PM   #343
RJDiogenes

I have a DVD with both the 30s version and the 40s version on it. After watching the 30s version, the 40s version is like My Fair Lady or something. It's not bad or anything, but the 30s version really crackles.
Old August 29 2012, 11:37 PM   #344
J.T.B.
Commodore

This Saturday (Sept. 1):

7:45 am Eastern: The Black Cat
9:00: Thunderbirds Are Go
11:30: Fail Safe
4:00 pm: 2010
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 11:40 PM   #345
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I have a DVD with both the 30s version and the 40s version on it. After watching the 30s version, the 40s version is like My Fair Lady or something. It's not bad or anything, but the 30s version really crackles.
It's the difference between pre-Code and post-Code Hollywood. The 30's version is surprising frank and brutal, especially in its depiction of the abusive relationship between Hyde and Ivy, while the 40's version seems rather too tame and tasteful by comparison.

Or so I recall. I haven't seen the Tracy version since I was a kid.

There's an old story about how some celebrated author (Somerset Maugham?) visited the set of the 40s version--and couldn't tell whether Tracy was playing Jekyll and Hyde that day!