TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 29 2012, 08:19 PM   #31
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Isn't How I Met Your Mother ending after this season? Unless Cobie wants to focus on features, they can and should swoop on her.
Maybe there's going to be a spin off.

BARNEY & ROBIN

Directed by Joel Schumacher... oh wait, that's the other one.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 08:27 PM   #32
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

So I wonder if this will tie in to the Hulk series which Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to be doing for ABC? Or, with Mark Ruffalo's take on the character and his alter-ego having revived interest in more Hulk movies, will Marvel be keeping old Jade Jaws for the big screen?
Old August 29 2012, 09:03 PM   #33
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^
Could two Marvel themed shows work at the same time?
I mean we can't take away from all those intriguing moments on Bachelor or Dancing with the Stars.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 09:07 PM   #34
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Carol is more like Power Girl in power comparison. Besides which we have no idea how they will introduce her character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They very well could use a combination of the Ultimate version (who is a Shield Agent) and the 616 version.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 09:11 PM   #35
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^
Could two Marvel themed shows work at the same time?
I mean we can't take away from all those intriguing moments on Bachelor or Dancing with the Stars.
Good point.

No, seriously, though, while it would be a case of the more the merrier for me, I'm not sure that a network tv show would necessarily want two expensive shows like that on at the same time. There would be the cost of making them, then they'd be appealing to the same viewers, non-comic fans might decide to watch one, not the other, etc.

There would, of course, be the potential for crossover eps, like occasionally happened with Buffy and Angel. My main query was not based on the two tv shows angle, though, it was more that if Marvel had decided to revive Hulk as a movie franchise, they may not want to bother with him as a tv character.
Old August 29 2012, 09:14 PM   #36
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Marvel Studios still has no plans to revive the Hulk solo film series (which baffles me given Ruffalo's popularity from "Avengers') plus his three picture deal or whatever it was.

I've been quite curious about Del Toro's "Hulk" and how it will be incorporated into the MCU...if at all. I don't think we've been given very many details yet on the series right?

Old August 29 2012, 09:19 PM   #37
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Ah, I think you're right actually. I remember when Avengers came out hearing that Ruffalo had been signed for something like 6 movies (3 Hulk, 3 Avengers, I thought) but the most recent talk from Feige was that no more Hulk movies were planned, isn't that right?

Here's the most recent interview I could find with GDT re the tv show.

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-to...omment-page-1/

Collider: Something that you’ve been attached to—and I’m not sure if you still are—is this live-action Hulk thing. What is the status of that? And also, how has the success of The Avengers and the Hulk character in The Avengers possibly helped the live-action Hulk series?
GUILLERMO DEL TORO: I had one meeting with Marvel after Avengers and we had a very, very good chat. We have a writer that we want to bring on board, a very, very concrete name. I can’t reveal it, but we want to wait for that writer. It’s a writer who is otherwise engaged. So right now we are in a holding pattern until that writer becomes free. Then we’re going to do a new draft of the script.
Old August 29 2012, 09:21 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Carol is more like Power Girl in power comparison.
Power Girl, Superman -- they're both Kryptonians, right? I'm talking about the type of powers -- superstrength, superspeed, invulnerability, flight, energy projection, really top-level heavy-hitter stuff that would cost a lot of money to do well and thus could be done far more effectively in a feature film than on weekly TV. We've never seen a live-action Power Girl (except, apparently, in a series of comedy sketches on something called Attack of the Show and a couple of fan films), but we've seen literally decades' worth of live-action TV portrayals of Superman, and we've seen how much they have to limit their depiction of his powers due to the limitations of weekly television production. Superman's powers can be portrayed more impressively on the big screen than the small, and the same goes for Carol.

Now, true, I do think that story and character are more important than spectacle, but Carol Danvers is a character that deserves a really impressive live-action intro, and Marvel needs more female marquee heroes in its movies. So I'd rather see her on the big screen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 09:22 PM   #39
Derishton
Vice Admiral

It's time for Eric O'Grady.
Old August 29 2012, 09:27 PM   #40
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I too would prefer to see Carol on the big screen Christopher ...it was merely a suggestion of who we could possibly see in the series, and at the very least in the pilot episode. We know Joss is fond of strong female characters and Carol certainly matches the bill...but I do think you're right that they should reserve her for "Avengers 2" or another film.

Old August 29 2012, 09:47 PM   #41
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

S.H.E.I.L.D. will be "autonomous" from Avengers.

Whatever you want to call ABC’s newly greenlit S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot, don’t call it an Avengers spinoff, as co-writer Joss Whedon wants to stress that the series is largely “autonomous” from this year’s $1.5 billion blockbuster and its upcoming sequel.

That said, Variety’s Cynthia Littleton reported from Tuesday night’s Q&A the Writers Guild Theater with Sleepwalk with Me filmmakers Mike Birbiglia and Ira Glass that Whedon “reserves right to pepper in bits here and there.”
Old August 29 2012, 09:52 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

Which I would take to mean that it'll be in the same universe but largely free of direct plot or character crossovers.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 09:59 PM   #43
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Carol is more like Power Girl in power comparison.
Power Girl, Superman -- they're both Kryptonians, right? I'm talking about the type of powers -- superstrength, superspeed, invulnerability, flight, energy projection, really top-level heavy-hitter stuff that would cost a lot of money to do well and thus could be done far more effectively in a feature film than on weekly TV.
I too would prefer to see Carol on the big screen Christopher ...it was merely a suggestion of who we could possibly see in the series, and at the very least in the pilot episode. We know Joss is fond of strong female characters and Carol certainly matches the bill...but I do think you're right that they should reserve her for "Avengers 2" or another film.
I'm still deciding whether this is feasible for TV, but what about Quasar? The character did originate as a SHIELD agent and got his quantum-bands from them.

His powers are basically the equivalent of a Green Lantern. The effects wouldn't quite require the same level of interaction with his environment as those of an overtly physical character. Might be easier to animate. Plus the powers might be severely limited, at least at first. Maybe the show could spend the first season with him in a lab. He's just investigating the quantum-bands to see what they do, but they could throw in some superheroic stuff now and then as he learns.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 10:12 PM   #44
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Which I would take to mean that it'll be in the same universe but largely free of direct plot or character crossovers.
I could see an example of "peppering" in to be taking something like the "Item 47" short and making that a one or two part tie-in episode.

The show could, if it served the purpose, tell stories that are impacted from a movie but not be tied directly to the events. Just use those as your point of reference.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 01:27 AM   #45
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
I wonder if Eliza Dushku is up for another Whedon series...
Hell, she could be the female lead as Carol Danvers. Whedon is all about women's empowerment, afterall.
Carol Danvers should be played by Caroline Dhavernas, just for name synchronicity. (Kinda like when Alan Doyle played Alan A'Dayle in Ridley Scott's Robin Hood adaptation.)