Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old August 16 2012, 04:48 AM   #1
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis dropped from Netflix in U.S.

I had just started watching Season 6 of SG-1. I'd only seen 4 or 5 episodes that year. I turn on Netflix tonight for my Stargate fix and find out that it has disappeared from Instant Watch.

I called customer service and they told me that their license expired for SG-1 and Atlantis. They said that they are trying to get the license renewed. If you have Netflix and are bummed about this like I am , call them. The customer service rep told me that if people call them about it they will work harder on getting it back.

Luckily Stargate Universe is still there so I'll be okay for now.
Old August 20 2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis dropped from Netflix in U.S.

It will probably be back online within the week.
Old August 20 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I'll call them for the hell of it, even though I have both series on DVD. I'd like to keep this on line as much as possible.
Old August 21 2012, 12:22 AM   #4
AJ86
Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
It will probably be back online within the week.
It won't be. Looks like they're moving them to Amazon.
Old August 21 2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

I believe they were already showing them on Amazon.
Old August 21 2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Harvey
Admiral

Amazon may want the exclusive license to the material; they're trying to draw people into using their service, and exclusive licenses is one of the ways to do it.

The blackout might also have to do with the individual seasons of SGA going on sale at Best Buy this past week.

It's also possible the deal just expired, and they'll renegotiate soon.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 22 2012, 12:24 AM   #7
cylkoth
Commodore

Both shows have been on Instant Watch for years, so the contract permitting it to stream has simply expired. SGU was added last, IIRC, during season 2, so that's why it-and the movies, are still up. Not renewing the license is generally a tactic by the studios-they want more money to renew a property, so they don't negotiate before expiration to try and get the best deal they can. And now, with competing services in operation, they get to play one against the other to obtain favorable increases.
Old August 22 2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Ó Méith
Lieutenant

Oh you poor Americans on the UK Netflix we have never had Any Stargate, Star Trek et cetera. The British version pales in comparison, there is hardly any sci fi.
Old August 27 2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Scout101
Admiral

Annoying that this kinda stuff keeps happening. Stargate was one of the big reasons I paid for the service last year, i burned through the entire franchise in fairly short order. Finished a little while back, so this one doesn't hurt me as much, but I had just started Dexter back when they yanked that one...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old August 29 2012, 07:59 PM   #10
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Ó Méith wrote: View Post
Oh you poor Americans on the UK Netflix we have never had Any Stargate, Star Trek et cetera. The British version pales in comparison, there is hardly any sci fi.
Oh you poor UKers with your iPlayer and Doctor Who merchandise on every street corner.
Old September 1 2012, 11:46 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I've adjusted to the reality that Netflix keeps losing/never gets streaming rights to most everything worth watching. Out of 300 titles in my queue, only 30 are on streaming. If I ever want to revisit the Stargates, I'll cope with the DVDs. It's a pain but I doubt this is Netflix's fault and I'm not signing up for a bunch of services just to see stuff.

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Not renewing the license is generally a tactic by the studios-they want more money to renew a property, so they don't negotiate before expiration to try and get the best deal they can. And now, with competing services in operation, they get to play one against the other to obtain favorable increases.
Which is why we shouldnt take the bait and reward their tactics by becoming customers.
Old September 2 2012, 03:32 AM   #12
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Cough up the extra two dollars or whatever it is a month to be able to access Canadian, US, south america, irish netflix - in my house we always find plenty to watch. I have access to stargate, star trek, the star trek movies etc.
Old September 9 2012, 08:26 PM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I've adjusted to the reality that Netflix keeps losing/never gets streaming rights to most everything worth watching. Out of 300 titles in my queue, only 30 are on streaming. If I ever want to revisit the Stargates, I'll cope with the DVDs. It's a pain but I doubt this is Netflix's fault and I'm not signing up for a bunch of services just to see stuff.
And honestly, it just depends on what you're into. I have found no shortage of things to watch on Netflix streaming. I ditched the DVD service over a year ago.
Old September 15 2012, 05:12 PM   #14
stj
Rear Admiral

The use of copyright as an unregulated monopoly is not a necessary feature of the entertainment industry but it seems very few can even conceive of alternatives.

Therefore, competition between streaming services means that each service will have its unique mix of exclusive offerings (including original proprietary material,) non-exclusive mass packages of less popular properties offered by owners to all services, and public domain products. In order to have a complete library, the consumer will have to pay more for multiple services. It seems obvious that the streaming services are aiming at a situation similar to premium cable today. If you want both Game of Thrones and Dexter, you have to pay two premiums. This is why they're experimenting with original material.

The thing is, consumers who don't want to pay more money will not have a satisfactory choice in opting for a DVD service only. First of all, there are licensing issues for DVDs as well. At this point, this is mostly a delay in availability, especially for original premium cable offerings. The first season of Homeland is just now available for instance. Second, and more importantly, the difference in costs for streaming versus mail DVDs means that the companies will not continue to invest the same resources in the mail service.

They will not divest themselves of the DVD service most likely, but they will purchase many fewer copies of midlist properties and very few copies of specialty properties. This will result in very long waits for DVDs. If the conservatives succeed in abolishing the USPS, of course, the new privatized service will cost considerably more. In any event, consumers will pay more for less, with some material unavailable and other material on waiting lists.

The mass purchase of just a few properties is already the province of services like Redbox. In the end, even the most popular movies may be unfeasible on mail-order DVD services. At that point, multiple-disc orders for things like TV series may be the mainstay of the mail-order services. Given delays in mailing, even if the USPS survives, this will be an effective rise in prices.

PS When Turner Classic goes online, the situtation will get even tougher for the consumer.

Last edited by stj; September 16 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old September 16 2012, 01:58 AM   #15
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Oh you poor UKers with your iPlayer and Doctor Who merchandise on every street corner.
Hey in Australia we ain't got nothin!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne