CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 29 2012, 04:16 AM   #1
chrinFinity
Commander

It drives me nuts that Voyager beams people with shields up

Alter Ego, for one, and Rise for another. Other times too.
Old August 29 2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: It drives me nuts that Voyager beams people with shields up

if they know their shield frequencies, then they can beam through shields, and most obviously their own. hell the navigation shirls 9deflectors) are always on and they're always beams though effortlessly, but since the enemy they're at work is against is space-dust, they can fix the navigation shields to standard since most of the bridge crew are smarter than rocks.

However, if you don't change your frequency often, any blind bugger will be able to "shoot" or beam through your shields.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Deks
Rear Admiral

Or its possible the navigational deflector emits a field weak enough for transporters to penetrate, whereas full shields are a different story.

I wouldn't put it besides the Voyager crew to have devised means to transport through shields on occasion if the need arises.
After all, dropping them in the middle of combat is not advisable.
Therefore, it would be simpler to adjust the transporters so they are in sync with the shields frequency wise and then just beam whatever/whoever they need.
Old August 29 2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Timo
Admiral

"Alter Ego" is no problem, because there never was any rule about beaming out of a shielded ship. Indeed, the very first episode to feature any beaming rules at all, TOS "A Taste of Armageddon", featured a beam-out through shields while supposedly also telling us that Scotty couldn't beam Kirk in despite knowing his location.

Of course, this is nicely analogous with the ability to fire phasers out through shields while being protected from incoming fire.

It's "Maneuvers" that first features a beam-in under combat conditions. But since our heroes are fighting just the Kazon, perhaps they feel they can drop their shields for a while?

As for "Rise", Janeway indicates they can't beam Neelix, Tuvok and pals up while the battle is raging, not trivially anyway ("We're a little busy"). But they can probably put the battle on hold for a while, as the enemy isn't after them as much as he is after the planet below. Perhaps Janeway just sacrificed a few Nezu cities?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 09:03 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
if they know their shield frequencies, then they can beam through shields, and most obviously their own. hell the navigation shirls 9deflectors) are always on and they're always beams though effortlessly, but since the enemy they're at work is against is space-dust, they can fix the navigation shields to standard since most of the bridge crew are smarter than rocks.

However, if you don't change your frequency often, any blind bugger will be able to "shoot" or beam through your shields.
This is contradicted by so many other episodes specificly stating as plot points "we can't lower our shields to beam our people back or the enemy vessel will blow us up."
Old August 29 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
lurok
Commodore

That's the only thing that drives you nuts?
Old August 29 2012, 03:44 PM   #7
billcosby
Commodore

Yeah... Harry Kim bothers me waaaay more.
And he's in every episode!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 04:35 PM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
I would say Neelix is the most annoying thing. Harry's the the poor schmuck that everything bad happens to. Kinda like Voyager's O'brien.

Except where you felt sorry for O'brien's suffering, you just kinda laugh at Kim's.
Old August 29 2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
No he's not.

Garret was such an asshat, late to work constantly, that they kicked him off two episodes (which is almost 50 grand upfront and a stack of residuals.).

Bloodfever was one, don't recall the other.

But is bloodfever your most favourite episode?

And now you know why.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 08:31 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

Or perhaps, they can create a small window in the shields to get a transporter beam through.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 09:13 PM   #11
chrinFinity
Commander

It's just particularly egregious in Alter Ego. Tuvok dematerializes first -- THEN we get a scene where Chakotay screams "Shields down to 47%!" -- and THEN we see Tuvok rematerialize on the space station. It's literally *while* he's in the transporter beam that we are obnoxiously bludgeoned with dialog explaining they're breaking the shields beaming rule. It's a real slap in the face.
Old August 29 2012, 10:50 PM   #12
teacock
Admiral

Luckily for me my suspension of disbelief never fails.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

...But as said, there's no known rule against beaming out through shields, like Tuvok does there.

The "tiny windows in shields" thing is sort of confirmed in episodes like "Preemptive Strike": there can be weaker sections in shields, and these can be deliberately made weaker still. But using these for transporting people from outside to inside would be such an obvious thing to do that it's unlikely to be the explanation for occasional beam-ins. Rather, it should happen all the time if it were possible.

How many times did VOY have these beam-ins in the middle of a battle? Five, six? But never without cuts in the action, apparently - these were all cases of the transporting taking place in its own scene, while the camera was necessarily pointed away from the fighting Voyager, from her exterior, from her bridge. And never of the more damning type where the camera stays on the bridge, our heroes read out shield percentages, and on the background somebody calls a beam-in.

So we can always pretend the shields were dropped for the crucial few seconds; it's just a matter of determining how certainly in each case this would have resulted in Janeway getting her bacon nice and crispy.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 05:57 PM   #14
NrobbieC
Commander

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned several times that transporters can be tuned or something to shield frequencies?
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 05:55 PM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

NrobbieC wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned several times that transporters can be tuned or something to shield frequencies?
Not as many times as it's mentioned "we can't beam them back, if we lower our shields random alien of the week will blow us up."