Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 28 2012, 09:38 PM   #676
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

And to make Timby's head explode - Starlin Castro gets a 7 year deal.

Though the per year amounts aren't exactly stratospheric.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 10:45 PM   #677
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Jesus Christ. It's 7/53 (eighth year with $16 million team option in 2020 kicks it to 8/69, with $2 million escalators for 19 and 20 if he finishes in the top 5 in MVP voting during the life of the contract), so the AAV isn't obscene, but the Cubs outsmarted themselves on this. They'll save money if he becomes a perennial All-Star, but if his BABIP comes down (which it is guaranteed to do), he never gets over his absolute fear of taking a walk, and he doesn't improve defensively, then they're overpaying by a gross amount. This was a case where the team should wait a couple more years and see how the player develops, considering he was under team control for another four seasons.

Okay, Theo, flip him for some world-class prospects at the winter meetings after you convince someone that he's worth their entire farm system, because I'm sure that was your endgame all along. GO.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 02:20 AM   #678
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Hey Matt Kemp, that's two full speed wall hits in two days. The 'warning track' includes the word WARNING for a reason.
Glad you're ok though.
Old August 29 2012, 02:40 AM   #679
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ At least he wasn't playing in Toronto at the time...Rogers Centre has no warning track!
Old August 29 2012, 02:48 AM   #680
Kirby
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ At least he wasn't playing in Toronto at the time...Rogers Centre has no warning track!
That's just evil. I love it.
Old August 29 2012, 02:51 AM   #681
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

It's odd...there is a strip around the outside of Rogers Centre's field that LOOKS like a warning track, but it is literally the same field surface - just painted brown instead of green. Which of course defeats the whole purpose - the point, the thing that makes it a WARNING, is that it should be a different surface, with a different texture!
Old August 29 2012, 03:06 AM   #682
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Jesus Christ. It's 7/53 (eighth year with $16 million team option in 2020 kicks it to 8/69, with $2 million escalators for 19 and 20 if he finishes in the top 5 in MVP voting during the life of the contract), so the AAV isn't obscene, but the Cubs outsmarted themselves on this. They'll save money if he becomes a perennial All-Star, but if his BABIP comes down (which it is guaranteed to do), he never gets over his absolute fear of taking a walk, and he doesn't improve defensively, then they're overpaying by a gross amount. This was a case where the team should wait a couple more years and see how the player develops, considering he was under team control for another four seasons.

Okay, Theo, flip him for some world-class prospects at the winter meetings after you convince someone that he's worth their entire farm system, because I'm sure that was your endgame all along. GO.
Just when we were almost finally through the Soriano contract too. Guess it wouldn't be the Cubs without an overpaid, underachieving player. Maybe I'm wrong and Starlin's going to magically learn how to work the count this off season.
Old August 29 2012, 03:07 AM   #683
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I hope Yadier Molina is okay...
Old August 29 2012, 04:00 AM   #684
Kirby
Rear Admiral

Boy, the Rockies are making the Dodgers look like the Rockies.
Old August 29 2012, 03:25 PM   #685
Use of Time
Commodore

Strasburg vs. Medlan, a study in how to handle a pitcher recovering from Tommy John. Prior to this season the two of them had the surgery within a few weeks of each other. The Braves opted to use Medlan as a long reliever and ease him back into the starting role later in the season. The Nationals opted to send Strasburg to the hill every fifth day. I don't know if the Nationals had any idea that their season would be this succesful but when it's all over it could be the Braves with a sharp young ace heading into the post season while Strasburg bites his fingernails on the pine.
Old August 29 2012, 08:43 PM   #686
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

R. Star wrote: View Post
Just when we were almost finally through the Soriano contract too. Guess it wouldn't be the Cubs without an overpaid, underachieving player. Maybe I'm wrong and Starlin's going to magically learn how to work the count this off season.
Don't get me wrong, this isn't an obscene overpay or anything like that. No one is saying that his skills are going to deteriorate or that he's not a decent player ... just that he's not suddenly going to develop the magical ability to turn into a special player rather than just a good one. He's had enough at-bats to give a pretty decent projection. He'll be a major league regular, but then again so is Jeff Francoeur. This isn't a bad thing, but the notion that he's some sort of top player is just wrong, yet people continue to argue about him because he's young.

Now that BABIP is down to something like a reasonable level, he's rocking an 89 wRC+ and that's going to look pretty shitty if he gets moved off of short (and it's entirely likely that he'll be moved). Once the singles go away, the outlook isn't great for a guy who doesn't hit much else other than singles and can't take a walk.

I think it's a bad contract because you have to say things like "if nothing goes wrong, it will be, uh, fair I guess," which isn't what you want to do when signing a 22-year-old for eight years.
Old August 31 2012, 12:10 AM   #687
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Well, the Cubs come back from being down 9-3 and 11-9.

They still stink, but comebacks aren't something they've been capable of for a few years.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 12:13 AM   #688
Use of Time
Commodore

You forgot to tell Timby that Castro worked a 3-2 count and singled in a run in the ninth off F-Rod. See. He's paying off already!
Old August 31 2012, 01:54 AM   #689
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
You forgot to tell Timby that Castro worked a 3-2 count and singled in a run in the ninth off F-Rod. See. He's paying off already!
Yeah, and Shawn fucking Estes absolutely clowned the Reds in Game 158 of 2003 to push the Cubs ahead of the Astros in the pennant race. Didn't make him a good pitcher.

I was over-exaggerating earlier when I said that Castro would be fighting for a roster spot in a few years. He won't, he'll be a regular somewhere. But his defense doesn't look to be going anywhere quickly, and most think that he'll be too heavy to play the position at some point during the contract, considering how ridiculously quickly he's filling out. And he certainly doesn't have an 80 hit tool -- when your skill set is "BABIP-dependent singles hitter who runs really, really fast," your ceiling isn't terribly high. He could be the next Ricky Gutierrez, honestly.

Like I said, it isn't an overpay. But I don't get the Cubs locking him down like this, unless they were either A) hoping to flip him or B) paranoid that an arbitrator would look at !~HITS~! and ignore every other peripheral. The latter is entirely possible, I suppose. But I'm praying for the former, just to reverse the trend of every #1 Cubs prospect being deemed "untouchable," only for them to be exposed and then dumped for a box of baseballs.
Old August 31 2012, 02:20 AM   #690
Use of Time
Commodore

Well maybe him filling out will equate to some power down the road kind of like Miguel Cabrera. I see him making the move to third base if that happens.