CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 28 2012, 10:50 PM   #16
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Need a good starter episode for a newbie

emergencyfruit wrote: View Post
Hmm. Well, he liked Star Wars quite a bit, and while his tastes lean towards action/adventure, he can also appreciate romantic or psychological tales if they're fast-paced and executed well. We have very different senses of humor, so a dramatic episode might be preferable to a lighthearted one. He really doesn't watch a lot of TV, but he's a gamer and enjoys being able to think and interact with ideas.

Not sure if that helps? I think he'll be satisfied with almost any episode; I just want to make sure I don't foil the opportunity if another episode is better. I made him promise to watch one with me after he couldn't pick out Kirk in a photo of the crew. :P If he becomes a Trekkie, all the better, but I'll settle for basic competence!
After reading your post, if I were you, I'd settle for What Are Little Girls Made Of?, Catspaw or That Which Survives.

What Are Little Girls Made Of? is IMO the only great episode of these but the other two has some elements that might appeal to your dude.
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 11:06 PM   #17
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nacluv wrote: View Post
Hmm. Well, he liked Star Wars quite a bit, and while his tastes lean towards action/adventure, he can also appreciate romantic or psychological tales if they're fast-paced and executed well. We have very different senses of humor, so a dramatic episode might be preferable to a lighthearted one. He really doesn't watch a lot of TV, but he's a gamer and enjoys being able to think and interact with ideas.

Not sure if that helps? I think he'll be satisfied with almost any episode; I just want to make sure I don't foil the opportunity if another episode is better. I made him promise to watch one with me after he couldn't pick out Kirk in a photo of the crew. :P If he becomes a Trekkie, all the better, but I'll settle for basic competence!
After reading your post, if I were you, I'd settle for What Are Little Girls Made Of?, Catspaw or That Which Survives.

What Are Little Girls Made Of? is IMO the only great episode of these but the other two has some elements that might appeal to your dude.
Catspaw? As an introductory episode? I would strongly advise against that, it's not at all typical of Star Trek and also, typically ranked near the bottom of ranking lists, I believe.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 11:12 PM   #18
Jeffty5
Ensign

The fried egg look of the aliens aside, "Operation - Annihilate" was always one of my favorites for the way it highlighted the tension in the friendship triangle between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. That's the dramatic underpinning that really made the show unique IMHO. Otherwise I would second the recommendations for "Space Seed", "Balance of Terror" and "Journey to Babel". "Space Seed", aside from being a great episode on it's own, carries so much pop-culture weight as the pre-amble to TWOK.
Jeffty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 11:14 PM   #19
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Catspaw? As an introductory episode? I would strongly advise against that, it's not at all typical of Star Trek and also, typically ranked near the bottom of ranking lists, I believe.
I don't like it. But I think that it could be perceived as more fast-paced and adventurish, which she says that he likes, and might be one of those episodes who most likely will be able to lure him into the world of Trek.

I can tell you that the first episodes of Trek I saw were those on The Best of TOS DVD (as a kid I only saw TNG and VOY (which I never learned to like) on TV):
1. The City on the Edge of Forever
2. The Trouble with Tribbles
3. Balance of Terror
4. Amok Time
Old August 28 2012, 11:20 PM   #20
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Here are my picks:

1. Mirror, Mirror (my personal favorite episode)
2. The Trouble With Tribbles
3. Amok Time
4. The Doomsday Machine
5. Obssesion
6. Tommorrow is Yesterday (watch it again, it's good)
7. Space Seed
8. Both Mudd episodes
9. The Tholian Web (rare show where Kirk isn't the center)
10. The Alternative Factor (ignore fans who call this stupid. They're wrong)
11. The Ultimate Computer
12. Metamorphosis (I usually hate "mostly planet" episodes, but this one's good)
13. The Enemy Within
14. The Rest of them.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 11:29 PM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I don't like it. But I think that it could be perceived as more fast-paced and adventurish, which she says that he likes, and might be one of those episodes who most likely will be able to lure him into the world of Trek.

I can tell you that the first episodes of Trek I saw were those on The Best of TOS DVD (as a kid I only saw TNG and VOY (which I never learned to like) on TV):
3. Balance of Terror
4. Amok Time
Trouble With Tribbles, I've never liked nearly as much as most do, but, I do agree with the others in that list as great episodes.

Another really popular episode I've never cared a whole lot for is "The Giant Flying Terd" one, The Doomsday Machine. However, I do like "The Space Hippie one" The Way to Eden a great deal, which I think is fairly unpopular. So, yea, I see your point, but, I really can't see Catspaw as being a good introduction epsiode to get someone interested in the Series, and if it does get them interested, I'm not sure it's typical enough of Trek to allow other episodes to be satisfactory, if more of that's what they're looking for

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 11:43 PM   #22
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

3. Balance of Terror
4. Amok Time
Trouble With Tribbles, I've never liked nearly as much as most do, but, I do agree with the others in that list as great episodes.

Another really popular episode I've never cared a whole lot for is "The Giant Flying Terd" one, The Doomsday Machine. However, I do like "The Space Hippie one" The Way to Eden a great deal, which I think is fairly unpopular. So, yea, I see your point, but, I really can't see Catspaw as being a good introduction epsiode to get someone interested in the Series, and if it does get them interested, I'm not sure it's typical enough of Trek to allow other episodes to be satisfactory, if more of that's what they're looking for
The point is that the episode hopefully will fulfill that which he is looking for, and at the same time make him want to look for something else, developing other needs, that consequently will be fulfilled by other Trek episodes.

After reading her descriptions of him, I think it's either that or The Man Trap. Of course, I still think the episodes listed in my original post would be the best recommendations for any newbie if he wants to grasp the essence of Star Trek, which I think neither The Man Trap or Catspaw epitomizes. There was another purpose with my latest, insidious suggestions.
Old August 29 2012, 12:41 AM   #23
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

Corbomite Maneuver hands down. Journey to Babel is another classic but without knowing the back stories it is not as strong. Balance of Terror is great but it is really an old fashioned sub vs. destroyer flic.

Corbomite has it all. It introduces you to the crew, has tons of action, and gives you a lump in your throat morality lesson at the end.

It is the best of Trek and a great intro.

Break open a bottle of Tranya and enjoy.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 02:41 AM   #24
PPatters
Fleet Captain

There are lots of good options. Honestly, "The Trouble with Tribbles" is probably your best bet. The first episode of "Star Trek" I ever saw, and what hooked me, was "A Taste of Armageddon." I think I liked it because it featured things in which I'm interested (diplomacy, politics, hostage situations) and it provided an interesting, futuristic look at war.
PPatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 02:47 AM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Another contender that hasn't come up yet: Arena.

Kirk vs. the Gorn, with the fate of the Enterprise at stake. Simple, dramatic, and requiring not specialized Trek knowledge.

What's not to love?
Old August 29 2012, 03:06 AM   #26
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View emergencyfruit's Twitter Profile

Wow, thanks for the variety of ideas, everyone! The one consistent recommendation has been Balance of Terror, and I think that the emphasis on action and war will appeal to him. If I'm lucky, I might be able to talk him into round two, which will depend on which mood we're in: Tribbles if lighthearted, Corbomite if more serious and philosophical. Our rendezvous with the Enterprise is set for tomorrow night, and I'll be sure to post the result, in case you should ever find yourselves in a similar bind.

Thanks again for so many excellent ideas - with luck, tomorrow night, a Trekker may be born!
emergencyfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 06:22 AM   #27
REDrake
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to REDrake

Our rendezvous with the Enterprise is set for tomorrow night, and I'll be sure to post the result, in case you should ever find yourselves in a similar bind.
You should do that, as I for one find myself in a very similar situation. I want to hook-up my wife to Star Trek after we finish watching Stargate Atlantis (and I only have 12 episode left of that).
REDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 02:44 PM   #28
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

Please DO NOT let them see Tribbles. They will think Star Trek is a cheap, poorly written sitcom.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 04:30 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
"The Corbomite Maneuver" or "Balance of Terror" would get my vote.
Yep.
Old August 29 2012, 08:45 PM   #30
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

The first episode I saw (sometime back in 1972 or 1973) was Space Seed.

I literally never heard of Star Trek to that point (I was just a wee lad). I remember them beaming onto the Botany Bay at the beginning, and being confused as to what that was (the beaming over, I mean). I was also enthralled with Spock.

I remember getting my older brother to watch it with me. He knew about Star Trek, and explained some if it to me.

I agree with those who say one of the best starter episode would be Balance of Terror.

I do NOT agree that The Trouble with Tribbles would be a good starter episode. To really appreciate the humor of that episode, you need to be familiar with the characters to begin with, since each character was playing a bit of a caricature of himself, for example:

- Shatner further exaggerating his already staccato delivery for some of his lines.
- Spock with the classic one-liners ("He heard you; he simply could not believe his ears")
- Scotty with his defending the ship's honor, and with his love of everything engineering.
- Doctor McCoy being a bit too amused with his zoological study of the Tribbles.
- Chekov's Russian reference and his over-exuberance.

Without having a baseline expectation of each character to begin with, the jokes made in the episode can be lost.

So, I say:
Balance of Terror
Doomsday Machine
Arena

These are among the best "stand-alone" episodes (from a character standpoint).

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; August 30 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote