Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 27 2012, 10:41 AM   #31
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Entertainment Weekly has a new extended trailer for season five here
That's one hell of a trailer
Old August 27 2012, 02:01 PM   #32
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I am really curious what will happen at the great duel. Also which one goes first?

The Mando arc or the Onderon one?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 03:23 PM   #33
Mach5
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Saturday mornings
Noooooo
I don't get it. I know that targeted, toy-buying demographic is boys 6-14, but surely they're aware that a lot of "grown ups" (I use the term loosely ) are watching it.
Old August 27 2012, 03:25 PM   #34
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Saturday mornings?

No sweat. My DVR will pick it up while I snooze, along with the rest of my Saturday morning line-up (DC cartoons).
Old August 27 2012, 07:41 PM   #35
billcosby
Commodore

No Admiral_Young, that wasn't it... but that link was really, really awesome!

I'm certain that it was some variation of New Jedi Order and there were AT-ATs and X-wings and Luke, Han and Leia, etc. It was so well accomplished that I think maybe a C&D from Lucas may have sadly erased it from existence. This was years ago.... maybe 2005ish?

Ain't it Cool thought it was legit. That may have caused an IP stir since IIRC it used the specific phrasing "New Jedi Order" which I believe is (R) (C) TM Lucasfilm.

I've been re-reading the Zhan trilogy. I'll never understand why that project wasn't given a CGI treatment. The story is quite good. The Zhan/Thrawn trilogy has collected many, many accolades over the years and created a few very memorable characters. Maybe a previous licensing agreement with Lucas/Zhan nixes the possibility of a project?

Read the EW writeup. It all sounds good to me. Bring on some more of these excellent Clone Wars.

Last edited by billcosby; August 27 2012 at 07:51 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 07:49 PM   #36
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The Cartoon Network just tracks the kid demographic for the advertisers. Even if grownups watch in droves, we don't count for the purposes of profit. But does anyone not have a DVR or other timeshifting viewing means by this point?

EW story.

I like this quote:

"We've got some critical set-up this season to explore why the Sith triumph, why the Empire replaces the Republic, the kind of things that fans have always wondered about regarding this period. What do people*really*think of the Jedi? How is it that Palpatine had the Jedi eliminated and the galactic populace seems fine with that? What does it mean when Mace Windu walks in to the Chancellor's office and tries to arrest him? Would the people be for that or against that? Palpatine makes it look like the Jedi launched a coup. How is it that people would accept such an explanation?"
of course the prequels already explained why the Sith triumphed (if the movies werent going to explain something as fundamental as that, why did they even exist?) I clearly recall that it was because Anakin was stupid enough to let Palps manipulate him into betaying the Jedi.

This is a stupid and unsatisfying explaining, but it is an explanation. However, the explanation is dependent on Anakin being a moron. Since Filoni has rewritten him to be too smart to fall for Palps' crap like that, a new explanation is now needed to make the story cohere once again. If it wasnt clear before that Filoni is rewriting the prequels, it should be now.

Similarly, if (as the quote implies), the people of the Republic became hostile to the Jedi, that's new information that is germane to the story, and should have been in the prequels. I got the impression that the general public was apathetic, and that in turn the Jedi were fools for fighting for people who didn't give a shit. This is another stupid aspect of the prequels that could stand some rewriting. By the time Filoni is done, we just might have a great epic here!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 08:00 PM   #37
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Anakin was stupid enough to let Palps manipulate him into betaying the Jedi.
I think Anakin knew very well what he was getting himself into when he pledged himself to Palps' teachings. He literally sold his soul the Devil in the exchange for the secrets of immortality.

Betraying the Jedi wasn't even the hardest part of this transformation, because in his mind, they already betrayed him. His resentment towards the Order was more than apparent during that council scene when they denied him the rank of master. I was under the impression that he would have jumped to any opportunity to stick it to them.
Old August 27 2012, 09:59 PM   #38
billcosby
Commodore

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Anakin was stupid enough to let Palps manipulate him into betaying the Jedi.
I think Anakin knew very well what he was getting himself into when he pledged himself to Palps' teachings. He literally sold his soul the Devil in the exchange for the secrets of immortality.

Betraying the Jedi wasn't even the hardest part of this transformation, because in his mind, they already betrayed him. His resentment towards the Order was more than apparent during that council scene when they denied him the rank of master. I was under the impression that he would have jumped to any opportunity to stick it to them.
It's payoff for all the "attachment" lectures given by Yoda.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 10:53 PM   #39
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@billcosby...ah...then I don't remember it at all. I do know that there was rumours of a CGI "New Jedi Order" series with Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford reprising their roles last year as we've discussed in previous threads before but those were just rumours. It ended up being what is now "Star Wars: Detours" that was announced. What you describe sounds pretty cool though.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 11:51 PM   #40
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

This may come from the Star Wars EU, but most of the common people in the Republic didn't like the Jedi because they were seen as baby-snatchers, taking Force-sensitive children as young as six months old from their families.

I remember the official SW website, around the time before AOTC hit theaters, had an news feature of news stories set in the SW universe, and one of them was the Jedi Order facing a custody battle over a two-year old human girl with her birth mother.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 12:39 AM   #41
JD
Admiral

Wow, that trailer was awesome. That Solo Adventures video was pretty cool too. I think that proves just how great a Han/Chewie pre-ANH series could be.
Old August 28 2012, 01:16 AM   #42
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Wow! That trailer is awesome. I was wondering when or if they were going to address the whole Rule of Two thing. I'm glad that Palpatine is taking such an active role in returning things back to normal. That threeway is going to be the highlight of the upcoming season for me.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 01:31 AM   #43
Mach5
Rear Admiral

I still hope it's Obi Wan who eventually gets Maul. Vanquishing him in TPM is what defined him as a hero prior to Clone Wars. It would be unfair to take it away from him now.
Old August 28 2012, 03:48 AM   #44
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I too hope Kenobi get Maul in the end, but I hope he sticks around for a while. The return of Death Watch and Vizla are very welcome to me. I hope this war against the pacifists of Mandalore is the start of a retcon that will allow the Republic Commando novels to be totally back in line with the rest of the continuity.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 07:43 PM   #45
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote:
Ain't it Cool thought it was legit.
Should change its name to Ain't It Gullible.

Temis the Vorta wrote:
If it wasnt clear before that Filoni is rewriting the prequels, it should be now.
ROTS remains intact. TCW is in the same continuity, not an alternate universe.