Need a good starter episode for a newbie

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by emergencyfruit, Aug 28, 2012.

1. emergencyfruit

emergencyfruit Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi everyone, I am introducing my boyfriend to TOS and need a good episode that basically captures the essence of the show. He's not terribly into sci-fi, so if it's not a great episode, he may not watch any more.

I'm thinking an episode that shows most of the cast, doesn't put McCoy in a bad light (*ahem* City on the Edge of Forever), and doesn't have too many bad special effects. Amok Time and Tomorrow is Yesterday both come to mind, but I'd appreciate other suggestions. Thanks, everyone!

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Probably be good to lure him in with an episode with Skimpy costumes in it, too.

3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I would suggest any of these TOS episodes:
    "Balance Of Terror"
    "Galileo Seven"
    "Space Seed"

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"The Devil in the Dark" (if you think he won't find the Horta laughable).

"Balance of Terror."

"Journel to Babel."

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The first one that sprung to mind was "Balance of Terror"

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"The Corbomite Maneuver" or "Balance of Terror" would get my vote.

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yeah Balance of Terror is always a good choice...

Failing that, find some green bodypaint and wear that while watching The Cage... sure that'd get his interest lol

M

8. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Enemy Within and What Are Little Girls Made of?, I think congenially elucidates what Star Trek is all about and also how dispersive they're both thematically and formatically.

Devil in the Dark, Dagger of the Mind & The Changeling IMO also epitomizes the core of Star Tek.

I think neither Amok Time, Naked Time nor Mirror Mirror would be good episodes to start out with unfortunately. As second or third episodes they would of course like any episode be selectable, depending on how you've organized his introduction.

9. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

"Return of the Archons." While he is watching, wait for the clock to hit on the hour, then jump up, flip over a couch and scream "FESTIVAL, FESTIVAL!" Record then post to Youtube for all to see. You're welcome.

10. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Trouble with Tribbles. ;)

11. emergencyfruit

The only reason those episodes seem like they might be ok is that there have been a ton of pop culture references made from them, and that recognition might help hook him in. That said, I do see your point.

Well, it looks like a ton of recommendations for Balance of Terror, which isn't personally a favorite of mine, but seems logical enough. I fell completely in love with TOS after The Enemy Within, but I think that's just me. Balance of Terror probably would appeal to him, so I'll probably go with that for the first one. :)

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Does your friend like any particular types of stories?

13. Nacluv

I love those episodes but I think that all those episodes are best enjoyed first after having see n some other episodes. Especially since he would then know the characters a little before seeing them The Naked Time and Mirror, Mirror. How would he know that Spock normally doesn't cry or that Sulu doesn't normally pursue Uhura?

14. Utopianvista

Utopianvista Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Trouble with the Tribbles.

Has most of the cast (sans Sulu) and is a classic episode that has mainstream appeal. EVERYONE loves Tribbles!

15. emergencyfruit

Hmm. Well, he liked Star Wars quite a bit, and while his tastes lean towards action/adventure, he can also appreciate romantic or psychological tales if they're fast-paced and executed well. We have very different senses of humor, so a dramatic episode might be preferable to a lighthearted one. He really doesn't watch a lot of TV, but he's a gamer and enjoys being able to think and interact with ideas.

Not sure if that helps? I think he'll be satisfied with almost any episode; I just want to make sure I don't foil the opportunity if another episode is better. I made him promise to watch one with me after he couldn't pick out Kirk in a photo of the crew. :P If he becomes a Trekkie, all the better, but I'll settle for basic competence!

16. Nacluv

After reading your post, if I were you, I'd settle for What Are Little Girls Made Of?, Catspaw or That Which Survives.

What Are Little Girls Made Of? is IMO the only great episode of these but the other two has some elements that might appeal to your dude.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Catspaw? As an introductory episode? I would strongly advise against that, it's not at all typical of Star Trek and also, typically ranked near the bottom of ranking lists, I believe.

18. Jeffty5

Jeffty5 Ensign Newbie

The fried egg look of the aliens aside, "Operation - Annihilate" was always one of my favorites for the way it highlighted the tension in the friendship triangle between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. That's the dramatic underpinning that really made the show unique IMHO. Otherwise I would second the recommendations for "Space Seed", "Balance of Terror" and "Journey to Babel". "Space Seed", aside from being a great episode on it's own, carries so much pop-culture weight as the pre-amble to TWOK.

19. Nacluv

I don't like it. But I think that it could be perceived as more fast-paced and adventurish, which she says that he likes, and might be one of those episodes who most likely will be able to lure him into the world of Trek.

I can tell you that the first episodes of Trek I saw were those on The Best of TOS DVD (as a kid I only saw TNG and VOY (which I never learned to like) on TV):
    1. The City on the Edge of Forever
    2. The Trouble with Tribbles
    3. Balance of Terror
    4. Amok Time

20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Here are my picks:

1. Mirror, Mirror (my personal favorite episode)
    2. The Trouble With Tribbles
    3. Amok Time
    4. The Doomsday Machine
    5. Obssesion
    6. Tommorrow is Yesterday (watch it again, it's good)
    7. Space Seed
    8. Both Mudd episodes
    9. The Tholian Web (rare show where Kirk isn't the center)
    10. The Alternative Factor (ignore fans who call this stupid. They're wrong)
    11. The Ultimate Computer
    12. Metamorphosis (I usually hate "mostly planet" episodes, but this one's good)
    13. The Enemy Within
    14. The Rest of them.