Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old August 27 2012, 02:43 AM   #31
I am Surak
Captain

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

teacake wrote: View Post

You know who that Suliban lady was? Melinda Clarke. She was the red haired mom on the O.C., she's a major role on Nikita and she played my favorite Firefly character, Nandi, from the episode Heart of Gold. I just LOVE her.

The Suliban, Sarin

Nandi, from Heart of Gold

Great Teacake. Now you have me watching Nikita because Lady Heather is in it...............
I am Surak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 05:16 AM   #32
Gaith
Rear Admiral

... That's really about all the discussion "Terra Nova" deserves.

I remember "Strange New World" fondly from its first airing. Definitely better than the first two eps.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 09:16 AM   #33
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
... That's really about all the discussion "Terra Nova" deserves.

I remember "Strange New World" fondly from its first airing. Definitely better than the first two eps.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 09:35 AM   #34
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I am Surak wrote: View Post
Great Teacake. Now you have me watching Nikita because Lady Heather is in it...............
:: looks up Lady Heather ::

Oooooo... could I actually watch CSI for this? Yes.. yes I could. The perfect Melinda Clarke role. She's in Nikita a lot more in season 2 btw.

Oh and as for Andorians S/UF they were in TOS and people wanted to see them again for a loooong time. Now that the makeup etc.. is so great it was very popular. You will not have seen the last of Shran.

I'm the only person who loved Terra Nova, aren't I.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 11:50 AM   #35
I am Surak
Captain

I'm the only person who loved Terra Nova, aren't I.

No you are not Teacake. I really enjoyed Terra Nova. I found the concept interesting that within a generation space faring scientists can be reduced to subterranian shale dwellers.
And also because of Erick Avari who is a wonderful versatile actor.

Now I always think that I am the only one who enjoys "A night in sickbay"
Old August 27 2012, 12:03 PM   #36
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I always get all teary when the old lady realizes she was the little girl in the photo in Terra Nova. I was quite surprised to realize it was so disliked.

As to ANIS.. I like ALL the Phlox parts but none of the Archer parts. The Phlox parts a fabulous

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 27 2012, 12:13 PM   #37
I am Surak
Captain

Methinks you have to watch ANIS again Teacake. Archer/T'Pol kissing, DeconChamber Gel action, T'Pol in a skirt, Spinning wars and the list goes on. There were so many unexpected images in that episode that I thought it was a feast for the eyes
Old August 27 2012, 02:50 PM   #38
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

The hunt for the Pyrithian bat.

'Course that skeered the Flying Fox, but what can ya do.
Artist formerly known as jespah.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 03:36 PM   #39
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Since it's a discussion thread, I'll pipe in.

Strange New World... seemed very cliche to me, with no real purpose beyond to demonstrate how ignorant Archer can be and how racist Trip is. He sure didn't do his Southern sterotype any favors that's for sure. Couple that with bringing the dog along and I found the episode rather annoying.

Unexpected.. I actively disliked. The premise of the aliens towing along was neat and original, but it went down hill from there. Trip getting pregnant? Technically since she impregnanted him without his knowledge(or consent) he was raped. And they just laugh and/or scorn him? Talk about victim blaming. Though I did lol at the Klingon's "I can see my house!"

Terra Nova... cut from the exact same plot of Strange New World, this episode has very few surprises. Basically Planet of the Apes meets Star Trek, with any interesting acting or plot elements removed.

The Andorian Incident... an episode I liked! This one was interesting on many levels. It introduces us both to the Andorians and Shran! It introduces some interesting political rivalries too. The Evil Vulcan Syndrome is pretty thick in this one, but that can be overlooked this time.
Old August 27 2012, 10:53 PM   #40
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I think The Andorian Incident was the showcase for this season, the one that grabbed people and showed them ENT was capable of less pedestrian stories. That and the wonderfulness that was modern Andorians. And of course, Jeffery Combs.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 28 2012, 10:07 AM   #41
lurok
Commodore

Terra Nova? Think they just about got away with it, mainly down to actors. But not a personal fave. Incident is definitely when started to get interesting.
Old August 28 2012, 10:27 AM   #42
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Since it's a discussion thread, I'll pipe in.

Strange New World... seemed very cliche to me, with no real purpose beyond to demonstrate how ignorant Archer can be and how racist Trip is. He sure didn't do his Southern sterotype any favors that's for sure. Couple that with bringing the dog along and I found the episode rather annoying.
What I liked about it was the exploring and how the team dealt with their hallucinations. It was sad to see Trip's true opinions come out, but at least he realized he had some work to do.

Unexpected.. I actively disliked. The premise of the aliens towing along was neat and original, but it went down hill from there. Trip getting pregnant? Technically since she impregnanted him without his knowledge(or consent) he was raped. And they just laugh and/or scorn him? Talk about victim blaming. Though I did lol at the Klingon's "I can see my house!"
Well, Trip agreed to the "game," just not the pregnancy. I think the alien lady should have given him more information about what the game was, but she didn't think he'd get pregnant because she didn't think it was possible. I'm not sure that's the same as forcing one's self on another person. If she knew what was going to happen, then I'd fully agree with you. And I liked "I can see my house!" too.

Terra Nova... cut from the exact same plot of Strange New World, this episode has very few surprises. Basically Planet of the Apes meets Star Trek, with any interesting acting or plot elements removed.
I'll just reiterate that it wasn't my favorite, either, but there were some bright spots.

The Andorian Incident... an episode I liked! This one was interesting on many levels. It introduces us both to the Andorians and Shran! It introduces some interesting political rivalries too. The Evil Vulcan Syndrome is pretty thick in this one, but that can be overlooked this time.
Yeah, this one was alright to me too.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old August 28 2012, 10:42 AM   #43
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

@jespah - beautiful avatar. The baby bat (?) is so cute.

I think The Andorian Incident was the showcase for this season, the one that grabbed people and showed them ENT was capable of less pedestrian stories. That and the wonderfulness that was modern Andorians. And of course, Jeffery Combs.
Yes, Jeffery Combs. I love him as Weyoun the most, though.

lurok wrote: View Post
Terra Nova? Think they just about got away with it, mainly down to actors. But not a personal fave. Incident is definitely when started to get interesting.
I've got my marker set now. I'm looking forward to Incident.

----

Time to post a couple more reviews from this weekend:

Breaking The Ice

I’m sorry, but was anybody else as annoyed by “Kindergarten Q & A” as much as I was? It’s nice they answered questions, but I don’t think it needed to take up that much time. It could have just been referenced within the episode, really. There were problems with this episode, but Trip and T’Pol made up for them.

Grade: C
---------

Civilization

This episode was kind of okay. I think Trip was stupid to decide he wasn’t going to follow orders when he didn’t feel like it, especially when a superior enemy ship was on their tail. T’Pol shouldn’t have had to explain herself to him. I had some other issues with this episode, but I’ll leave them be.

Grade: C minus

Old August 28 2012, 11:42 AM   #44
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
@jespah - beautiful avatar. The baby bat (?) is so cute.

Yes, Jeffery Combs. I love him as Weyoun the most, though.
Me too

I've got my marker set now. I'm looking forward to Incident.
I think he's shortening The Andorian Incident, so there is no ep called Incident
Civilization

This episode was kind of okay. I think Trip was stupid to decide he wasn’t going to follow orders when he didn’t feel like it, especially when a superior enemy ship was on their tail. T’Pol shouldn’t have had to explain herself to him. I had some other issues with this episode, but I’ll leave them be.

Grade: C minus
Civilization is classic Trek, an episode straight out of TOS era. If they wanted to go back to the roots of Trek they did it with this one IMO. I'm happy they didn't stay there, though it wasn't a terrible episode, just oddly dated and unoriginal.

However we DO get to see T'Pol as a Vulcan Barbie Princess..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 28 2012, 03:10 PM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I liked Breaking the Ice. I dunno, just seemed like a "We're new to exploring space" kind of episode. The Q&A was very annoying, as was Trip's complaining about it. I get they'd be doing something like this, but honestly aiming it at ONE group of kids when you have schools all over the world who may want to watch this is rather short sighted.

The snowman was freaking awesome. As were it's pointed ears it suddenly grew. More Evil Vulcan Syndrome. You think it would be logical to understand that their standoffish behavior is offensive to humans and to tone back on it around them?

I was actually disapointed that Trip was the one who read T'Pol's plot device. This could have actually given Hoshi something to do beyond answer the phone. But this is the Archer/Trip/T'Pol show. Everyone else is just glorified extras.

Civilization.. this is an episode I literally had to try and watch three times before I made it through. When I got Netflix, I'd usually pop on a Trek episode for awhile when I went to bed and watch it. Man, this one has very good sleep inducing properties.

Primitive civilization, interference, moral crisis, evil plot behind it all yes these are all familar Trek elements. There's nothing "bad" about the episode, save that it's just all been done before and was thrown together in a rather uninspiring manner.