RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 400
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 24 2012, 07:46 PM   #1096
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

backstept wrote: View Post
if TMZ is to be believed, Kit Harrington and Rose Leslie are apparently dating
Interesting. That certainly made for quite believable interactions with them last season and good chemistry. Did this start before, during or after filming, I wonder?
Old August 24 2012, 08:00 PM   #1097
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I have no idea . . . the article I read was on Buzzfeed and it's basically some photos from a restaurant where they appear to be quite friendly with each other. Speculation mostly.
Old August 27 2012, 04:07 PM   #1098
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Okay - Cersei is a trainwreck.

She has now allowed the Faith to create basically their own order of knights and men-at-arms. That is is horrible idea! Now there are going to be bands of armed men that have no loyality to the crown.

She may have saved a few bucks, but I can see this coming back to bite her in the rear. She is bringing down her own house brick by brick.
Old August 28 2012, 01:02 AM   #1099
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
She is bringing down her own house brick by brick.
That's the beauty of her story in book four.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 02:18 AM   #1100
Anwar
Vice Admiral

And when the truth about her children comes out (and it more or less is out and could be investigated by the Faith) there will be bands of Knights with no loyalty to the Crown out to kill "abominations"! She really didn't think it out...
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 02:29 AM   #1101
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
She is bringing down her own house brick by brick.
That's the beauty of her story in book four.
It's my favorite part of AFFC.

Old August 28 2012, 02:44 AM   #1102
Lonemagpie
Writer

Cersei's problem is that she thinks she's a genius because she managed to outwit the one man in the kingdom who was dumber than she is...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 02:49 AM   #1103
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I wish he'd written more chapters in Cersei's voice. Those were brilliant.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 02:49 AM   #1104
Dream
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Cersei's problem is that she thinks she's a genius because she managed to outwit the one man in the kingdom who was dumber than she is...
Poor Ned...
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 06:14 AM   #1105
Anwar
Vice Admiral

It wasn't even Cersei who outwitted Ned, so she can't even take credit for that. Heck, it was more just luck that things worked out so well in her favor.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 10:28 AM   #1106
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Speaking of questionable parentage, what about that bizarre scene between Jaime and his Aunt Genna before he went to talk to Blackfish at Riverrun?

Unless I missed the subtext going on, it seemed to me that she implied that Tyrion was the only true son of Tywin, not Jaime; further implying that maybe Jaime (and, by birth, Cersei as well) are not Tywin's offspring. Is her statement supposed to be more of a metaphor, in that Jaime is nothing like Tywin as a person (good or bad), or does she hold some secret about their origins? That one really confused me and there has been no mention of it since.
There is quite a bit of subtext suggesting that Aerys had his way with Joanna at least once.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 01:32 PM   #1107
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I was not sure about the whole Aunt G conversation. Her words did seem pregnant with subtext. On the face of it, I took it this way - Tyrion is Tywin's true son because of all of Tywin's spawn, only Tyrion has the old man's smarts and cunning.

At this point in the books, I don't recall any mention of Aerys being obsessed with Joanna. However, that may be in a chapter that I have yet to read, and subsequent POVs may change my mind.

I have a couple of questions:
1. When Jamie has that musician play for Edmure, Edmure seems horrified. Am I to assume it was the same musiciain that played out in the hall outside Edmure's bedroom as Cat and Robb were slaughtered?
2. In Jamie's POV - he thinks that Tyrion betrayed Cat too? How is that so? I don't recall Tyrion being complicit in any betrayl. By the time Jamie and Brienne made it to King's Landing to bring about her plan, Tyrion was already imprisoned and powerless. - Is Jamie thinking of Tyrion marrying Sansa and trapping her in a marriage she did not want? But to be fair to Tyrion, he was the only one protecting her and even Sansa acknowledged that he had saved her from Joff several times.

To again crow about Cersei's stupidity, how can she think the crown defaulting on their debts is a good thing? Not only is war and possible impending famine going to wreck the land, she is going to dry up liquid currency as well.

For some reason, I can see Tommen giving his royal mother Hell over Margaery. Perhaps I am wrong but that kid seems mega attached to his wife.
Old August 28 2012, 01:49 PM   #1108
Lonemagpie
Writer

Anwar wrote: View Post
It wasn't even Cersei who outwitted Ned, so she can't even take credit for that. Heck, it was more just luck that things worked out so well in her favor.
Yeah, but she doesn't see it that way...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 02:08 PM   #1109
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Cersei, like all the Lannister brood, seems to have serious daddy issues. Her driving force during all her plotting and scheming was accompanied by "wouldn't father be proud?", or "I handled that problem just as well if not better than father would have" or other similarly paraphrased notions. Instead of making good decisions for herself and Tommen, she seems to be more motivated by surpassing Tywin's greatness, perceived or otherwise.

And even throughout ADwD, Tyrion is still haunted by Tywin's ghost and the unknown fate of Tysha - "Where do whores go?"

It seems to me that Jaime was the first to truly break the chains of his dead father's will and start to write his own personal destiny.
Old August 28 2012, 02:33 PM   #1110
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Well, I am glad the Dorne business is finally going somewhere...maybe.

Dorne started out with a splash. I really liked Oberyn. However, as the story actually in Dorne progressed, the ripples of my interest began to calm and finally it was a flat lake of boredom. However, at least I now know that Doran was up to something all along, but he appears to be surrounded by idiots.

I assume now that Dorne intends to ally itself with the last Targeryn?

I also found this...