RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,345
Posts: 5,502,394
Members: 25,118
Currently online: 689
Newest member: Ashanti

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 28 2012, 02:20 AM   #1
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Could there be a Borg King?

Is the gender of the central borg important like with bees?They need a coordinating leader for the hive but I don't see why that leader needs to be female. Even if the female hormones were amping something up plenty of assimilated race wouldn't even have the same hormone receptivity.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacake; August 28 2012 at 02:45 AM.
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 04:50 AM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

"Gender is irrelevant?"

Actually maybe not. If the Borg Queen can seduce Data, why not a Borg King with abs of steel seducing Janeway and Seven? That's what it would be too. A sexy hot Borg to appeal to the female viewers.

Actaully this thread is predestined to end with a facepalm.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral
 
Ru ru, chu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

In the Mirror Universe, the Borg DID have a King ("The Worst of Both Worlds"). They also travelled in diamond shaped (not cube shaped) ships.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Ru ru, chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 06:59 AM   #4
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

R. Star wrote: View Post
"Gender is irrelevant?"

Actually maybe not. If the Borg Queen can seduce Data, why not a Borg King with abs of steel seducing Janeway and Seven? That's what it would be too. A sexy hot Borg to appeal to the female viewers.
pfft, we don't need a Borg King to seduce Janeway and 7, the Borg Queen does just that just fine.

Actaully this thread is predestined to end with a facepalm.
It was a genuine question. We (or at least I) think of the Borg as a hive and their leader as a queen, like hive insects. But I don't think we've seen any reasons for the leader to be a specific gender. I'm just interested in what others think about this.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In the Mirror Universe, the Borg DID have a King ("The Worst of Both Worlds"). They also travelled in diamond shaped (not cube shaped) ships.
Now that's interesting!

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Borg_King

I picture the Borg King being like David Bowie in Labyrinth.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

Locutus was the closest thing to that, until the TNG characters decided to ruin it for the Borg by bringing back Picard.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 08:17 AM   #6
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

He would have been the Borg Queen's Hand, to borrow from GoT.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

teacake wrote: View Post
Is the gender of the central borg important like with bees?They need a coordinating leader for the hive but I don't see why that leader needs to be female. Even if the female hormones were amping something up plenty of assimilated race wouldn't even have the same hormone receptivity.
The Borg Queen is a mind that is formed from all the drones being connected together, just the way that your mind is formed from all your brain cells connected together.

By itself a brain cell has no gender identity, and neither does a drone.

But when you connect a lot of brain cells together, it forms a mind that DOES have a gender identity.

Likewise, the mind formed from all the drones connected together, has a gender identity, and it is female. The Borg Queen. There is no Borg King because there are no drones available to form another mind. All the drones available are being used as part of the Queen's mind.

And we know it's a female mind because every single time it's chosen to use a body to represent itself (controlling it like a puppet), it has chosen a female body.

(That's how the Queen keeps surviving - the body may be destroyed, but the mind is safely spread across the entire Collective.)
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 09:01 AM   #8
spot_loves_data
Captain
 
spot_loves_data's Avatar
 
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

teacake wrote: View Post
We (or at least I) think of the Borg as a hive and their leader as a queen, like hive insects. But I don't think we've seen any reasons for the leader to be a specific gender.
I read somewhere that the borg were originally meant to look something like insects. In the end, TPTB decided against using so much of the budget for CGI.

If they'd looked more like social insects, a queen would have been mandatory. As the borg are now (humanoid), I don't see any reason to favor one sex over the other.
spot_loves_data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 09:20 AM   #9
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

Tiberius wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Is the gender of the central borg important like with bees?They need a coordinating leader for the hive but I don't see why that leader needs to be female. Even if the female hormones were amping something up plenty of assimilated race wouldn't even have the same hormone receptivity.
The Borg Queen is a mind that is formed from all the drones being connected together, just the way that your mind is formed from all your brain cells connected together.

By itself a brain cell has no gender identity, and neither does a drone.

But when you connect a lot of brain cells together, it forms a mind that DOES have a gender identity.

Likewise, the mind formed from all the drones connected together, has a gender identity, and it is female. The Borg Queen. There is no Borg King because there are no drones available to form another mind. All the drones available are being used as part of the Queen's mind.
I didn't mean a king in addition to a queen, I meant a king instead of a queen.
And we know it's a female mind because every single time it's chosen to use a body to represent itself (controlling it like a puppet), it has chosen a female body.
But why is the gender identity always female?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 09:44 AM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

teacake wrote: View Post

But why is the gender identity always female?
If you go by the Destiny novels, it's because the being who created the Collective was female.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 10:00 AM   #11
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

Well what's the canon answer?
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 10:18 AM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

teacake wrote: View Post
Well what's the canon answer?
There is none beyond some holywood execs wanting a "face" for the Borg in the movie.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 11:18 AM   #13
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain
 
EmoBorg's Avatar
 
Location: in the 10 dimensions of reality
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

According to scientists, the first sex to develop was female. The male gender then developed from the female sex. That is why males have nipples because females are the default sex in nature and the male gender developed from that. The Borg collective has a female leader maybe because it is the default gender.

Females are the first sex/gender according to scientific research. Eve came before Adam in the real world.
__________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by EmoBorg; August 28 2012 at 11:42 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

R. Star wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Well what's the canon answer?
There is none beyond some holywood execs wanting a "face" for the Borg in the movie.
The Borg became much less threatening the moment they got a face. They were never as scary as they were in Q Who.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 11:31 AM   #15
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Could there be a Borg King?

spot_loves_data wrote: View Post
I read somewhere that the borg were originally meant to look something like insects. In the end, TPTB decided against using so much of the budget for CGI.
CGI? CGI to create aliens? In 1989? On TV? Not a chance.
__________________
* * *
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.