Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 4 2012, 11:31 PM   #31
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Anji wrote: View Post
We have never heard from Roddenberry's first wife.
If she is still alive, maybe we should.

I can't remember her every being interviewed about Gene Roddenberry and the time period of Star trek's beginnings, and she might have some interesting insights.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 08:56 PM   #32
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I finally watched this tonight, it was interesting in parts but much of it wasn't new.

I wonder why Braga was not interviewed?
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 12:51 AM   #33
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
But to call Roddenberry a "visionary," in my opinion, is a bit excessive. And it's much too easy to give Roddenberry waaaay too much credit. For example, I think it's safe to say that we owe TNG and everything that came after to the overall commercial success of Star Trek II, III and IV. And that only happened because Roddenberry was "kicked upstairs" and other people (Harve Bennett and Leonard Nimoy in particular) took over on the ground. TMP may have been a work of art, but it was far from a commercial success. Gene had a vision, but he had a hard time executing its portrayal effectively. And I think that's an important distinction to keep in mind.
One of the formal definitions of a visionary is "having or marked by foresight and imagination." Gene definitely had some foresight into a better future, certainly one that openly embraces people of all races and other manifestations. And he definitely had a compelling imagination about a future formalized space military that would explore and patrol space. He was the figure head of the idea, yet so many other people contributed to it, bringing the whole idea into visual realization. So, as I see it he was a visionary of sorts. But like most human beings, he had his failings.

The whole realization of the Star Trek TOS vision depended upon other people besides Gene, particularly people like Matt Jefferies, Wah Chang, Bill Theiss, Robert Justman, Herb Solow, etc. But the guy who starts the idea is usually credited the most.

Where Gene excelled was in writing and script oversight. He had a good sense of how to take a story and mold it to fit into the episode format he established. He also had a very good sense of what worked and what didn't, which I feel was noticeably lost on Season 3. Unfortunately, from what I read in "Inside Star Trek", he wasn't a particularly good executive producer. He also created and produced the first season of TNG. I thought it lacking in a lot of respects story, pacing and dialog, but production values were quite good.

Anyway... I often feel like Gene Jr. is just riding his father's coat tails, as his career is intimately focused on Star Trek merchandising when he had absolutely no interest in the series as a young man. I would hope Trek Nation would spend as little time as possible on the Gene Sr./Jr. dynamic. That's ultimately his business, as it's difficult to trust anything publicly stated about it anyway.
Old August 30 2012, 02:10 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gary7 wrote: View Post

Anyway... I often feel like Gene Jr. is just riding his father's coat tails, as his career is intimately focused on Star Trek merchandising when he had absolutely no interest in the series as a young man. I would hope Trek Nation would spend as little time as possible on the Gene Sr./Jr. dynamic. That's ultimately his business, as it's difficult to trust anything publicly stated about it anyway.
This. I was absolutely floored when he said he was glad his Dad cheated on his Mom because it made him seem more human. Then when he interviewed Majel, I got this vibe that she thought he was a tool.
Old August 30 2012, 02:56 PM   #35
Trek Survivor
Captain

Pindar wrote: View Post
I finally watched this tonight, it was interesting in parts but much of it wasn't new.

I wonder why Braga was not interviewed?
Loads of people involved with Trek weren't interviewed - why single out Braga? He barely knew Roddenberry (coming on to TNG in 1990, and Gene dying in 1991) - remember, it was less about the Trek TV shows and more about Roddenberry.
Old August 31 2012, 11:11 AM   #36
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
TMP may have been a work of art, but it was far from a commercial success.
Common misconception, with the money adjusted for inflation, TMP made more money than any of the other Star Trek movies, including ST Eleven.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:23 PM   #37
Morpheus 02
Commodore

I only caught the last 1/2 last night, but thought it was a HONEST documentary, not a pity party for Rod.

I really respect Rod Roddenberry for making it, and thought it had some good insight on the Trek Phenomenon.

Interesting thought on the documentary feeling too short.

Could Trek Nation work as a limited series on SyFy? Like 13 weeks of 1/2 hour or 1 hour episodes, focusing on various issues, and of course lots of scenes that are repeated. Perhaps even some fan videos as well.

The cost would be minimal, but get enough ratings to make it worth it.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:10 PM   #38
Harvey
Admiral

It is a medicore documentary, which tries to do two things at once and never manages to do either justice.

Trek Nation: This documentary has been in the works for nearly a decade, which only makes the end result all the more frustrating. Its principle problem is one of indecision - is this a movie about a son finding out about his father who he barely knew, or is it a movie about the Star Trek phenomenon that his father created? The movie never decides; it seems as if it began as one film and morphed into another during production, but that no one could choose which direction to ultimately take in editing.

The result of this is a mixed bag. There are home videos and unedited interview clips that suggest a Gene Roddenberry the publicity machine could never allow. There are also a parade of talking heads praising Roddenberry's vision, even crediting him for the decisions of others (including the infamous interracial kiss during the original series' third year), as well as a parade of the wackiest of fans. These latter elements are really a distraction from Rod Roddenberry's attempt to understand his father, and, worse, old hat.

Other elements are just missed opportunities; an interview with Majel Barrett before her death lets her be evasive and vague and an interview with George Lucas never seems to have a purpose or substance. Production values are top notch, but they can't provide this film with a focus.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 09:52 AM   #39
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

i my self didn't get much out of trek nation. it was from 2010. and gene roddenberry jr did not get any answers back from the right people who know the story why they canceled the tv show of star trek. i found out about 2 years ago. it was not good for gene rodderyberry and the stuido back then.
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 02:11 PM   #40
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Terrible. Couldn't choke it down. Had to quit about a third of the way through it. Boring, repetitive wank.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:24 PM   #41
T J
Commodore

Yeah, it was crap. Now I know what a mothers face looks like when she absolutely does not like her son. She did not want to be in the same room with him or have that conversation.