Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 27 2012, 06:24 PM   #316
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Re: Breaking Bad - Season 5

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
I'll miss you, Mike. You were a true badass. ...
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 07:02 PM   #317
J.T.B.
Commodore

Mike was a great character and Jonathan Banks did a tremendous job with it. A great exit scene, a man who maintained self-assurance even in death and a man who's running on pure fear and ego. It was interesting how they had established that Mike, the cold-blooded hitman, had some kind of moral center and wasn't completely out for himself. "A man got to have a code." Which also contrasts with Walt.

The latest ep reminded me that there's one little thing that bugs me about this show, and I hate to mention it since I haven't looked forward to new shows this eagerly since The Wire. But they use gimmicky shots. Last night it was the POV of the hand opening the safe deposit boxes. A few episodes ago it was an upward shot through a table and a map which had somehow become transparent. Hitchcock always said the camera should be placed so the viewer feels they could see what it's seeing, it subconsciously draws them in. Every time they use a shot like that it takes me out of things a little. It seems like a gimmick that the show doesn't need. But that's small beer...

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 07:16 PM   #318
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
So--would Walter pull the trigger on Jesse to save his own neck?
With the introduction of Todd as a sort of better version of Jesse, I have no doubt he would kill Jesse, and I'm pretty sure we'll see it happen, or at least the attempt.
On the other hand, Todd might be a hidden danger. Maybe he'll try to off Walt or betray him in some way. He's a bit overeager.

I, too, loved the scene at the beginning and the soft drink analogy. "Would you want to live in a world without Coca Cola?"
Old August 27 2012, 07:35 PM   #319
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, excellent episode. Although I have to admit I'm kinda bummed Mike isn't hanging around a little longer, and won't be figuring into the final few episodes in some way.

But it was nice to finally see someone call out Walter for his pride and giant ego. It's always been perfectly obvious of course, but until now it seems like the show went out of it's way to avoid having anyone actually say it.

I also thought the episode did a great job of showing just how cut off and alone Walter has made himself, whether it's him shouting in an empty room after Jesse walks out, or him eating a frozen dinner at the dinner table all by himself.

Seems like the only "friends" he has anymore are a child killer who's a bit of a lunkhead, and a brother-in-law who's actually out to capture him.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 07:52 PM   #320
davejames
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
The latest ep reminded me that there's one little thing that bugs me about this show, and I hate to mention it since I haven't looked forward to new shows this eagerly since The Wire. But they use gimmicky shots. Last night it was the POV of the hand opening the safe deposit boxes. A few episodes ago it was an upward shot through a table and a map which had somehow become transparent. Hitchcock always said the camera should be placed so the viewer feels they could see what it's seeing, it subconsciously draws them in. Every time they use a shot like that it takes me out of things a little. It seems like a gimmick that the show doesn't need. But that's small beer...
If the whole show was shot that way, I agree it would be a problem. But it's just a little bit of flash here and there for fun, to keep the show from feeling too oppressively dark and heavy.

Plus it's a way to make something as boring as opening safety deposit boxes (or cooking meth, or any of the other boring activities we see on this show) seem a little more cool and visually interesting.
Old August 27 2012, 08:19 PM   #321
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Walt has stepped down to new level of assholery in killing Mike solely because he was insulted and a bit jealous. I don't think he has killed for these reasons alone before.

I too was surprised to see Mike go this soon. I thought he'd definitely make it to the final 8 episodes -- must be a reflection of how much I like the character.

Such a warm scene with Walt and Skylar at dinner.

I don't think we have heard the last of the kid's death. Todd still has the bottle with the kid's prints on them -- and Todd is dumb. BTW, who said he is a better version of Jessie? In what way?

How would the DEA have arrested the lawyer? Did I miss it? He had a lot of money he couldn't explain, but that seems more like an IRS problem than DEA. Maybe this is what Saul was railing about. The lawyer didn't have the legal knowledge or kojones to stand up to the Feds. In the same situation, hard to see Saul rolling over without a HUGE damn fight and a still hot smokin' gun.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 08:27 PM   #322
Tom
Rear Admiral

I have issues with the lawyer at the bank too. He is putting cash in his customers safe deposit box, what wrong with that. Yes, he has a big bag of cash, but its not against the law to have cash, last I checked he is in a bank after all. The DEA has no grounds at all to arrest him and as a lawyer he should know that. Also, legally he can't breach client/lawyer confidentialty and flip anyone. Just seemed a bit off.
Old August 27 2012, 08:28 PM   #323
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Todd is a better version of Jesse in the sense that he's eager to learn from Walt and respects him from the start. As for now, he also seems to be more disciplined and ready to do what needs to be done. When Todd said they should talk about money only after he had learned to do the cooking right, Walt seemed to approve of the sentiment. I don't think this bodes well for Jesse.

By the way, I thought it was weird that Mike always warned Jesse about Walt but then ended up dying because he had underestimated him. He should have played along to a degree instead of setting off Walt but he thought he could afford it and that Walt wouldn't do anything about it.
Old August 27 2012, 08:37 PM   #324
J.T.B.
Commodore

Tom wrote: View Post
I have issues with the lawyer at the bank too. He is putting cash in his customers safe deposit box, what wrong with that. Yes, he has a big bag of cash, but its not against the law to have cash, last I checked he is in a bank after all. The DEA has no grounds at all to arrest him and as a lawyer he should know that. Also, legally he can't breach client/lawyer confidentialty and flip anyone. Just seemed a bit off.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Saul made a point of the lawyer/client privelege thing when they first hooked up with him. I can't imagine even a crummy lawyer going in to be "sweated" by the police without his own legal counsel. It did seem off.

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 09:32 PM   #325
Borgminister

Let me die in peace...

classic.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 10:13 PM   #326
Mojochi
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
If the whole show was shot that way, I agree it would be a problem. But it's just a little bit of flash here and there for fun, to keep the show from feeling too oppressively dark and heavy.

Plus it's a way to make something as boring as opening safety deposit boxes (or cooking meth, or any of the other boring activities we see on this show) seem a little more cool and visually interesting.
Did anyone else find it peculiar that the camera shot in Hank's office, right after Walt removes the bugs, looked suspiciously like it was shot from a ceiling mounted surveillance camera? Could they have found the bugs & put Hank's office under surveillance? Could be something... could be nothing, but that's another reason why the occasional campy camera work is useful, to keep us off our guard

RIP Mike... I knew you're time would come & I pretty much had it pegged for when it happened, but your influence on the show will be missed, because you really were the only character that freely spoke everything that we all know is true

Never before have I really watched a show that manages to be so good, even though we already know what they are going to do. We all knew Gale had to die. We all knew Fring had to die. We all knew Mike had to die, & we have all known the entire time that Hank will find out about Walt. It's a series long cliffhanger, but we all know where is has to go. What we don't know is how they will do it.

That's what's so great about this show. Though there may be some surprises, there's no real twists.They want you to know what's going to happen, & they want to compel you to watch despite the fact, because they know that they can do it in a way you will never see coming. That's why I'm sticking to my guns & saying that Jesse is not a finished character unless he is the one that finally has to end this all by killing Walt

Lily of the Valley. Who the hell saw THAT coming? Nobody, that's who. It's not about what happens. It's about how it happens
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 12:15 AM   #327
davejames
Vice Admiral

With Jesse and Skyler crossing paths these last two episodes, I can't help but wonder if they're going to team up at some point. Either to stop Walt or somehow pin all the blame and evidence on him alone...
Old August 28 2012, 12:20 AM   #328
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Todd is a better version of Jesse in the sense that he's eager to learn from Walt and respects him from the start. As for now, he also seems to be more disciplined and ready to do what needs to be done. When Todd said they should talk about money only after he had learned to do the cooking right, Walt seemed to approve of the sentiment. I don't think this bodes well for Jesse.
I had a different read on that scene. It seemed to me that Walt was slightly pissed at Todd because he was so unlike Jesse, the irony being that Todd is exactly the sort of assistant that Walt would have wanted when the show began, but now Walt has changed. I may be wrong.

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Lily of the Valley. Who the hell saw THAT coming? Nobody, that's who. It's not about what happens. It's about how it happens
Actually, the lily of the valley thing was a pretty hot fan theory going into the season finale last year. It's the reason why I've shied away from BB fan sites this year, it was still fun to see my favoured theory for how Brock got sick proven correct, but the season 4 finale lacked that gut punch for me as I was already expecting it.
Old August 28 2012, 12:44 AM   #329
Mojochi
Commodore

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Actually, the lily of the valley thing was a pretty hot fan theory going into the season finale last year. It's the reason why I've shied away from BB fan sites this year, it was still fun to see my favoured theory for how Brock got sick proven correct, but the season 4 finale lacked that gut punch for me as I was already expecting it.
Do you mean it was a hot theory before they diagnosed Brock as having been poisoned with it? Or just that once everyone knew Brock had been poisoned, everybody was theorizing that Walt had done it? because yeah, most everybody was theorizing that Walt had done it, once we knew about the Lily of the Valley being the diagnosis

I just mean no one could have known that they would do specifically that as a way to get Jesse away from Gus

davejames wrote: View Post
With Jesse and Skyler crossing paths these last two episodes, I can't help but wonder if they're going to team up at some point. Either to stop Walt or somehow pin all the blame and evidence on him alone...
Been considering that myself. I don't really see how they can pin everything on Walt, but stop him, they could
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 01:16 AM   #330
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I loved the expression on Walt's face when Mike told him off. He knew every word Mike said was 100% right. Walt fancies himself a badass, but his move to kill Mike was desperate and pathetic and succeeded only in spite of his incompetence. Well-played.

I, too, wonder how the DEA got the lawyer to roll. Having a bunch of money isn't illegal, especially if you're a lawyer, and it doesn't seem like anything blatantly illegal could've been determined just from the safety deposit boxes. That lawyer must be a real tool to flip so easily under so little threat.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote