Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eventually there will come a day when we will have Star Wars without Lucas. Trek has been doing fine without Gene.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Give it a shot. They've rewritten/expanded upon the most objectionable parts of the PT (Anakin being a dumb nasty punk, the politics being dull and uninvolving, etc). They dont spend much time with Jar-Jar and his idiocies, and they've added characters whose fates are unknown, and therefore provide some dramatic tension, Ahsoka foremost among them.

And theyve added some sense of magic and mystery to the whole handwaving aspect of the Force, Chosen One, etc, that was entirely lacking in the movies, which is vital since thats the part that distinguishes Star Wars from other space opera franchises and gives it a unique tone. Basically, TCW is how the movies should have been done.

Lucas is fine with the basic ideas, but the results are always so much better when he has collaborators who can work with him as equals, rather than being surrounded by toadies and yes men who wont tell him when his storytelling, direction and casting choices suck. TCW is good for the same reason ESB was good - Lucas has gotten himself some competent help.

And at this point, the help could keep going on their own steam and let Lucas retire.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

TCW has the same kind of toadies and yes men. Why wouldn't it?

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Star Wars/Trek ended up being good despite GL/GR, not because of him.

There, I said it.

Bye!

6. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Finally we will see some Clone Commandos.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Entertainment Weekly has a new extended trailer for season five here

Ugh, I hate that the show is moving to Saturday mornings Sept. 29th...argh.

8. Drago-Kazov

What Sept 29 instead of Sept 1st or 15.

Come oon.

9. ALF

Noooooo :eek:

10. Admiral_Young

@billcosby I believe this is what you were referring to earlier in the thread. It's actually called "Star Wars: The Solo Adventures" and was done by the Dave School of Digital Arts and revealed at Celebration V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVnMxAZjMsI

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

That's one hell of a trailer :eek:

12. Drago-Kazov

I am really curious what will happen at the great duel. Also which one goes first?

The Mando arc or the Onderon one?

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I don't get it. I know that targeted, toy-buying demographic is boys 6-14, but surely they're aware that a lot of "grown ups" (I use the term loosely :D) are watching it. :wtf:

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saturday mornings?

No sweat. My DVR will pick it up while I snooze, along with the rest of my Saturday morning line-up (DC cartoons).

15. ALF

No Admiral_Young, that wasn't it... but that link was really, really awesome!

I'm certain that it was some variation of New Jedi Order and there were AT-ATs and X-wings and Luke, Han and Leia, etc. It was so well accomplished that I think maybe a C&D from Lucas may have sadly erased it from existence. This was years ago.... maybe 2005ish?

Ain't it Cool thought it was legit. That may have caused an IP stir since IIRC it used the specific phrasing "New Jedi Order" which I believe is (R) (C) TM Lucasfilm.

I've been re-reading the Zhan trilogy. I'll never understand why that project wasn't given a CGI treatment. The story is quite good. The Zhan/Thrawn trilogy has collected many, many accolades over the years and created a few very memorable characters. Maybe a previous licensing agreement with Lucas/Zhan nixes the possibility of a project?

Read the EW writeup. It all sounds good to me. Bring on some more of these excellent Clone Wars.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Cartoon Network just tracks the kid demographic for the advertisers. Even if grownups watch in droves, we don't count for the purposes of profit. But does anyone not have a DVR or other timeshifting viewing means by this point?

EW story.

I like this quote:

of course the prequels already explained why the Sith triumphed (if the movies werent going to explain something as fundamental as that, why did they even exist?) I clearly recall that it was because Anakin was stupid enough to let Palps manipulate him into betaying the Jedi.

This is a stupid and unsatisfying explaining, but it is an explanation. However, the explanation is dependent on Anakin being a moron. Since Filoni has rewritten him to be too smart to fall for Palps' crap like that, a new explanation is now needed to make the story cohere once again. If it wasnt clear before that Filoni is rewriting the prequels, it should be now.

Similarly, if (as the quote implies), the people of the Republic became hostile to the Jedi, that's new information that is germane to the story, and should have been in the prequels. I got the impression that the general public was apathetic, and that in turn the Jedi were fools for fighting for people who didn't give a shit. This is another stupid aspect of the prequels that could stand some rewriting. By the time Filoni is done, we just might have a great epic here!

17. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I think Anakin knew very well what he was getting himself into when he pledged himself to Palps' teachings. He literally sold his soul the Devil in the exchange for the secrets of immortality.

Betraying the Jedi wasn't even the hardest part of this transformation, because in his mind, they already betrayed him. His resentment towards the Order was more than apparent during that council scene when they denied him the rank of master. I was under the impression that he would have jumped to any opportunity to stick it to them.

18. ALF

It's payoff for all the "attachment" lectures given by Yoda.

19. Admiral_Young

@billcosby...ah...then I don't remember it at all. I do know that there was rumours of a CGI "New Jedi Order" series with Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford reprising their roles last year as we've discussed in previous threads before but those were just rumours. It ended up being what is now "Star Wars: Detours" that was announced. What you describe sounds pretty cool though.

20. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This may come from the Star Wars EU, but most of the common people in the Republic didn't like the Jedi because they were seen as baby-snatchers, taking Force-sensitive children as young as six months old from their families.

I remember the official SW website, around the time before AOTC hit theaters, had an news feature of news stories set in the SW universe, and one of them was the Jedi Order facing a custody battle over a two-year old human girl with her birth mother.