Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 26 2012, 06:43 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Copper

Okay, kudos for the historical accuracy (on that point at least), but it still doesn't mean I want to watch it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 07:42 PM   #32
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^I do. I'm going to give at least a few more episodes.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 07:53 PM   #33
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

For what it's worth, it's quite possible that bank robbery was a hanging offense, so the robbers might be more inclined to shoot back (increasing the likelihood of the police shooting first and asking questions later).
Old August 26 2012, 08:23 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

That hardly justifies it. There's no excuse for shooting at someone who poses no clear and present danger, and who is running away from you. What happened there was murder -- committed by the "heroes" of the show, and evidently motivated not by self-defense but by the desire to kill the robbers in order to take the money away from them. Which makes it aggravated murder, since it was a killing committed in service to a crime.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:56 AM   #35
Alidar Jarok

I don't think they were running away. I saw them holing up in an area that could be better defended.

I don't think it justifies it either, just that it wasn't necessarily inconsistent historically.
Old August 27 2012, 04:32 AM   #36
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Well, the second episode was great.
Old August 27 2012, 05:02 AM   #37
Alidar Jarok

Yeah, he's a bit hard to get a read on. He seems to respect Corcoran because of the past, but it's hard to tell if he cares about anyone but himself if forced to.

Much better episode. I was a bit concerned at the beginning because the repeating locket speech made me think I was thinking of the other episode (although they did make it clear that he constantly repeats the speech). Good overall.
Old August 27 2012, 06:33 PM   #38
the G-man
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
That hardly justifies it. There's no excuse for shooting at someone who poses no clear and present danger, and who is running away from you.
Actually, back then, I think the law allowed police to shoot fleeing felony suspects, whether they were armed or not.

Most of the limits on the police we enjoy today are products of mid to late 20th century legal precedents and the US Supreme Court extending the Bill of Rights protections to the states.

For another example, Corcoran walking into the rich guy's house and basically stealing the cane as evidence was allowed under state law until, I think, the 20s or 30s. It was only prohibited on federal cases. In fact, the feds used to get around it by asking local cops to obtain the evidence and then turn it over.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 03:39 PM   #39
Alidar Jarok

The Fourth Amendment was applied to the states in 1948 (Wolf v. Colorado). However, it lacked any teeth whatsoever until Mapp v. Ohio in 1961.

Likewise, as this was pre-14th amendment, there were no federal constitutional restrictions on police officers. I can't speak for New York law at the time, however, it was not uncommon to consider bank robbers outlaws who could be shot to regain what had been stolen (keep in mind they were fleeing, they weren't surrendering).
Old August 28 2012, 04:10 PM   #40
Rhaven
Captain

I saw the first installment and liked it. I still have the 2'nd one on my DVR to watch. I figured I'd give it 3 episodes to hook me.
Old September 3 2012, 04:15 AM   #41
the G-man
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
That hardly justifies it. There's no excuse for shooting at someone who poses no clear and present danger, and who is running away from you.
Actually, back then, I think the law allowed police to shoot fleeing felony suspects, whether they were armed or not
Just watched the second episode (I'm a week behind). If you thought what he did to the fleeing suspects was out of bounds for a police officer you ain't seen nothing yet. This guy makes Vic Mackey look like Andy Taylor
Old September 3 2012, 04:39 PM   #42
Pingfah
Admiral

First episode was a bit shaky, second episode was really good.

I wouldn't call this guy an anti-hero at all, in fact he seems to be one of the few characters portrayed as having a functioning conscience, whilst his betters, and many of his colleagues are selfish sociopaths.

Looking forward to watching ep3 tonight.
Old September 3 2012, 05:11 PM   #43
the G-man
Commodore

Yeah, he has a functioning conscience in some areas, such has protecting kids. But the way he goes about doing his job is, at best, amoral. As I touched upon above:
Old September 4 2012, 05:12 AM   #44
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Loved this last episode, which obviously took place several weeks later. I love how the right thing the was done, but in completely crooked, shady and questionable ways.

I thought this was technically a much brighter and more colorful episode, but this was also the first time I saw it in HD. I could finally make out some of the details.

I'm not sure about the ending, though. What was up with that? I thought the girl was past all that, or is she jealous? Very odd, indeed.
Old September 6 2012, 07:06 PM   #45
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I like it quite a bit. I appreciate the fact that it's taking a chance on not being a run of the mill procedural.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote