A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 27 2012, 04:26 PM   #121
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: No News, No Nothing!!

Could be worse- you could be a Dr Who fan, stuck with the board being constantly visited by half a dozen people who've seen a sneak preview showing so they can harp on about "ooh, it's fantastic and will melt the internet, but I'm now considering myself to be a personal mate of the producer so I'm not going to tell you why, because if you really wanted to know you could have won the ticket lottery yourself, so stop moaning about it."

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Old August 27 2012, 04:27 PM   #122
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

You could try not reading the DW forum just before a new series.
Old August 27 2012, 04:30 PM   #123
Lonemagpie
Writer

Deckerd wrote: View Post
You could try not reading the DW forum just before a new series.
Hardly just the DW forum - because my FB and LJ friendslists are full of DW people, my whole newsfeed is filled with it!

Mere silence is infinitely preferable

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Old August 27 2012, 08:15 PM   #124
Mage
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
Right, checking back in and there's nothing! Nothing at all on any Trek news sources!!

This is just BULLSH!T Abrams!!

I want a spoiler.

I don't understand that myself. I mean, isn't it more fun to just sit in the cinema, having no clue as to what the F is going to happen, except for things we saw from the trailer, which will be released soon enough?
Works for me. I've never understood why some people feel entitled to spoilers.

Silly question maybe, but did a part of you feel sad for knowing EVERYTHING about The Dark Knight Rises before you even saw the movie, since you wrote the novelisation??
Old August 27 2012, 09:30 PM   #125
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Right, checking back in and there's nothing! Nothing at all on any Trek news sources!!

This is just BULLSH!T Abrams!!

I want a spoiler.

I don't understand that myself. I mean, isn't it more fun to just sit in the cinema, having no clue as to what the F is going to happen, except for things we saw from the trailer, which will be released soon enough?
Works for me. I've never understood why some people feel entitled to spoilers.
A sense of entitlement? Hmmmm....

It's more than that, it's CANON dammit because Gene leaked like crazy when TOS films were around back in the day.

I'm asking for nothing more than an expectation of what went before from the creator rather than any sense of entitlement.

It's like someone has raped my childhood memory of leaks and that's just wrong!!!
Old August 27 2012, 10:36 PM   #126
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Sometimes I really miss the days before the internet. Most of us probably wouldn't even know that a new Trek movie was being made at all.
Unless you were a member of a ST club that had a reliable, regular newsletter, "Starlog" magazine and TV's "Entertainment Tonight" (which was distributed overseas as a compressed "Entertainment This Week"), were often the only sources of hot gossip. Actual spoilers were even rarer, if you were lucky enough to know someone who went on a Paramount Pictures soundstage tour during production.

Gene leaked like crazy when TOS films were around back in the day.
Well, he did get Susan Sackett to leak Bennett and Meyer's intention to kill off Spock, but that turned out to move the death scene to the film's climax instead of near the beginning, which Bennett eventually agreed made for a superior film.

The very first photos of ST II characters in costume were released in a Japanese magazine, "Super-Visual", in January 1982, and the film had its US premiere in early June.
Old August 27 2012, 10:54 PM   #127
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Sometimes I really miss the days before the internet. Most of us probably wouldn't even know that a new Trek movie was being made at all.
Unless you were a member of a ST club that had a reliable, regular newsletter, "Starlog" magazine and TV's "Entertainment Tonight" (which was distributed overseas as a compressed "Entertainment This Week"), were often the only sources of hot gossip. Actual spoilers were even rarer, if you were lucky enough to know someone who went on a Paramount Pictures soundstage tour during production.

Gene leaked like crazy when TOS films were around back in the day.
Well, he did get Susan Sackett to leak Bennett and Meyer's intention to kill off Spock, but that turned out to move the death scene to the film's climax instead of near the beginning, which Bennett eventually agreed made for a superior film.

The very first photos of ST II characters in costume were released in a Japanese magazine, "Super-Visual", in January 1982, and the film had its US premiere in early June.
Plus the destruction of Enterprise in TSFS. If he didn't like it, he leaked it ergo it's CANON!!

Lol
Old August 27 2012, 10:59 PM   #128
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Plus the destruction of Enterprise in TSFS. If he didn't like it, he leaked it...
My memory is that the destruction of the Enterprise was leaked on purpose by the production team at Paramount which is responsible for making the promotional trailers for all of its movies. It was out of Harve Bennett's and Leonard Nimoy's hands - and Gene R had nothing to do with that leak.
Old August 27 2012, 11:10 PM   #129
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Silly question maybe, but did a part of you feel sad for knowing EVERYTHING about The Dark Knight Rises before you even saw the movie, since you wrote the novelisation??
Not a silly question. But it's an occupational hazard. I try to avoid spoilers on projects I'm not professionally connected to, but once I sign onto a project, I figure that's just the price I pay for landing the gig--and I want all the info I can get so I get all the details right.

Right now, I'm happy not knowing anything about the next Trek movie, but if somebody offered me a chance to write the novelization . . . let me get my hands on that script!

Fortunately, there are too many movies a year for me to write the novelizations for all of them! So I got the unspoiled experience for THE AVENGERS and I got to compare THE DARK KNIGHT RISES to the script I read last year. It all evens out in the end.
Old August 28 2012, 12:59 AM   #130
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Plus the destruction of Enterprise in TSFS. If he didn't like it, he leaked it...
My memory is that the destruction of the Enterprise was leaked on purpose by the production team at Paramount which is responsible for making the promotional trailers for all of its movies. It was out of Harve Bennett's and Leonard Nimoy's hands - and Gene R had nothing to do with that leak.
It was Nimoy who asserted that Roddenberry leaked the Enterprise news.
Old August 28 2012, 03:42 AM   #131
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Bennett and company certainly did resent Roddenberry's tendency to leak information about the later Trek movies - same thing happened with Spock's death in TWOK.
Old August 28 2012, 11:17 AM   #132
Therin of Andor
Admiral

It was Nimoy who asserted that Roddenberry leaked the Enterprise news.
He didn't leak it very well. I'm sure I recall the first we knew of it was "Starlog" mentioning reaction to the trailer.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Bennett and company certainly did resent Roddenberry's tendency to leak information about the later Trek movies - same thing happened with Spock's death in TWOK.
There was an interesting "Starlog" interview with Bennett, many years after the fact, where he actually thanks Susan Sackett for that leak, since to patch up the problem of the surprise being blown, they came up with the Kobayshi Maru scenario, in which it appears that Spock - and McCoy, Uhura and Sulu - all seemingly die, and we realise it is a purposely poorly-acted ruse. Only to have Spock die for real towards the end of the film.
Old September 2 2012, 12:43 PM   #133
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Ima just gonna say this.

I wish JJ was in charge of the Information bureau of Dr. Who. I would so LOVE to be as in the dark about Who as I'm in the dark about ST:XII.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 2 2012, 01:45 PM   #134
The Wormhole
Admiral

And I'm glad Abrams has nothing to do with Doctor Who and we have as much advance info about it as we do.
Old September 2 2012, 01:47 PM   #135
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I would rather case my head in cement.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Closed Thread